Slowplaying strong hands in tight games? (Nl2)

• 13 replies
    • Hopey
      Hopey
      Bronze
      v 5 limpers a call would be suicidal unless you hit a set. You can expect KK to stay ahead of 5 hands. Even if it was ahead you'd have difficulty knowing that and probably wouldn't get value. Raise it up, if you get action great- you have a whole ton of daed money from limpers that will have folded. If you get no action then you still pick up the dead money. If it's a tight game maybe you should consider raising marginal hands in position a little more, to take advantage of the situation.
    • MIMIso
      MIMIso
      Bronze
      Only if you expect 10 K 10 flop, while 2 other players hold one ten. Otherwise, it's a bad idea.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      just raise less if its that tight (2.5bb)
    • alister15
      alister15
      Bronze
      I'm never limping a hand like KK in the BB at NL2, even if the whole table has limped. Instead of raising to 4BB + 1 for each limper it might be worth raising to slightly less (e.g. 7BB) to encourage players with small pocket pairs etc to call. Al ot of the time if UTG calls then you can expect a few more callers. Any heavy action pre flop and your usually beat so just give it up.
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      A tight game with 5 limpers? Something wrong with this picture... :f_confused: :f_confused:
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Vepof
      Is -EV to slowplay strong hands in tight games?

Example: i'm BB with KK and there was 5 limpers, i call.
      And for 52131. time, i'm gonna say that it's not EV+ to slowplay anything in micros.
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      Wtf never limp kings there EVER i don't care what game your in don't do it, that isnt slow playing, that's screwing yourself
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      dude , if a game is tight, you can assign a tight range to your opponent. if they 3bet you know to reraise them with your premiums and try to get all in. ABC poker, its not exactly rocket science!

if you know villain is only opening 88+ and AJs+, 3bet them with premiums every time. if they reraise you can pretty much guarantee going all in. if they flat you can consider they are either calling with the bottom of their range, or theyre slow playing. thats plenty of information to make the right decision!

@Alficor1

while its not -EV to slow play at micros, there are more +EV lines to take. personally I think playing a standard agressive game is going to yield better results.
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by conall88
      @Alficor1

while its not -EV to slow play at micros, there are more +EV lines to take. personally I think playing a standard agressive game is going to yield better results.
      Yeah, i absolutely agree with this. I think if you just play solid poker, you'll get nice results in micros.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      NL2 isn't a tight game
    • sufix645
      sufix645
      Bronze
      I agree, in most of situations slowplay sux, but there is times when you should do that imo.
      For example:

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $4
      MP3:
      $6,47
      CO:
      $5,89

0,05/0,1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:spade: , J:spade:
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $0,40, CO calls $0,30, 2 folds, Hero calls $0,30.

Flop: ($1,15) K:diamond: , Q:spade: , T:heart: (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $0,3, CO calls $0,30, Hero raises to $1,22, MP3 folds, CO calls $0,92.

Turn: ($3,89) 2:heart: (2 players)
      Hero raises $2,38 (All-In), CO folds.

Final Pot: $6,27

No flush draws that can beat me..
    • Chenghao
      Chenghao
      Bronze
      here is my take : your purpose in No limit games is to take your opponent's whole stack

slow playing imo is used but very rarely .

1) when the pot is already large with relation to you and your opponent's stack.
      2) you know that @ a certain street , he will bet if you check to him.
      3) he can't outdraw you
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sufix645
      I agree, in most of situations slowplay sux, but there is times when you should do that imo.
      For example:

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $4
      MP3:
      $6,47
      CO:
      $5,89

0,05/0,1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:spade: , J:spade:
      MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $0,40, CO calls $0,30, 2 folds, Hero calls $0,30.

Flop: ($1,15) K:diamond: , Q:spade: , T:heart: (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $0,3, CO calls $0,30, Hero raises to $1,22, MP3 folds, CO calls $0,92.

Turn: ($3,89) 2:heart: (2 players)
      Hero raises $2,38 (All-In), CO folds.

Final Pot: $6,27

No flush draws that can beat me..
      there's nothing wrong with shoving there, He might call all in while he still has a draw (KJ/QJ) or may have 2 pair and then if the river comes a scare card (A/J) you get nothing out of him.