What is a "freeroll" ?

• Tiffy2
      Tiffy2
      Bronze
      I don't fully understand this freeroll thing.

Is it possible to win real money without risking a penny of your own ?

It seems too good to be true - usually you get nothing for nothing.
  • 13 replies
    • oblitron
      oblitron
      Bronze
      See here:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/mtt/1558/1/
    • sufix645
      sufix645
      Bronze
      usually you will get nothing from nothing :D But yea.. in freerolls you can get real money with no risk to lose your own money
    • MichaelM
      MichaelM
      Bronze
      Originally posted by oblitron
      See here:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/mtt/1558/1/
      Thanks obliton, for pointing a pokerstrategist in the right direction.

Freerolls are tournaments that are free to enter. That's the good news. The bad news is that you usually can't win much money. They are still worth playing, however.

If you wanna try one out and you have a PartyPoker account tracked through us, we have one tonight, it starts at 17:00 GMT.
      You will find the details in this thread a bit later: PokerStrategy.com League of Champions: Info thread
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Yes in freerolls there's no buy in but you do win real $$$. The only problem most of freerolls have very low payouts, and usually a few 1000 people. However some sites have bigger freerolls, like on pokerstars there's a monthly 100k freeroll if you have gold status with them.
    • Tiffy2
      Tiffy2
      Bronze
      Thank you all.

My true problem is that I am not ready to play for real money, but most play money tables are so crazy that you don't learn much.

Maybe freerolls are better, because there are real money at the end.
    • Jehudas
      Jehudas
      Bronze

I doubt that: freerolls == big fishtank IMHO...
      Signed in at a BronzeVIP PS freeroll yesterday and was amazed how silly people are. 3-way AI with A7o VS. J3s VS 22 isn't too seldom... :s_evil:
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      Hi everyone,
      I have a semi-related question. Which pokerroom has the most/best freerolls? And the plus would obviously be that you don't have to deposit to enter.
    • Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tiffy2
      Thank you all.

My true problem is that I am not ready to play for real money, but most play money tables are so crazy that you don't learn much.

I thought about that before I tried a few. In my experience, people play really aggressively because if they bust out it doesn't really matter. (Though not as crazily as play money games.)

Also, be prepared to play for at least 2-4 hours, depending on the site. I played for an hour on a Full Tilt freeroll last week, and I came 2,456th.
    • Xantos
      Xantos
      Bronze
      Freerolls are certainly worthwhile if you see them as what they are:

(a) a chance to boost your bankroll, especially for micro-limit players
      (b) a kind of big chatroom
      (c) something to do while you play your main game at 1-2 tables anyways
      (d) a training ground for your tournament skills, especially if you're not a seasoned player
    • MarkasKR
      MarkasKR
      Bronze
      Never play freerolls... You will be a loser for ever. They don't improve any of your skills.
    • JazBenz
      JazBenz
      Silver
      you say you get nothing from nothing...

but its not nothing where u get the money from... you put effort and time into a freeroll... so the more energy, time, effort and skill you put into this... the better you cash... therefore... energy transforms into money... but its not nothing ;)
    • JazBenz
      JazBenz
      Silver
      Originally posted by MarkasKR
      Never play freerolls... You will be a loser for ever. They don't improve any of your skills.

not true. I started out with freerolls and it did improve my game... today I rarely play freerolls.... but its false to say when you're new to poker to not play freerolls...
    • JazBenz
      JazBenz
      Silver
      Originally posted by Tiffy2
      Thank you all.

yes definately... thats how many people started, including me... i was scared at first to play for real money... but if u actually do win in freerolls and you grow your bankroll very slowly but surely... you gain more trust in yourself and it WILL improve your game.