Variance in live games

• scscpoker
      scscpoker
      Bronze
      In poker there is need to play for example at least 10k hands to see right results, so people must multitable for month... so how is it then possible to profit in poker playing live?
  • 5 replies
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      I'm not an expert scscpoker, but I believe it is the same thing really, the more games you play over time the less variance will be.

I've only personally played 4 live events so far and still waiting for my first major cash, but I'm pretty happy with how I've played and been a little unlucky in flips etc, so I still believe a win or good cash will happen one day.

The difficulty for me and I'm sure other live players is finding enough time and sufficient suitable tournaments locally to play.

We tend to always suggest 100k hands for cash games and 1k tournaments/sngs to give you a real understanding of how you're playing, I'm guessing similar sort of numbers would be required for live play but maybe a more experienced member can confirm.

Where do you play out of interest scscpoker? do you take part in any local festivals or tours at all?

Wishing you every success on the live circuit, best regards,

Bart
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      Players are worse = Win Rate is higher.
    • scscpoker
      scscpoker
      Bronze
      I havent experiences with playing cash games live etc., just few small tournaments, it just theoretically looks very hard to beat variance there, because playing 1k hands live really isnt quick.

Hm, could u show some statistics about that win rate?
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Silver
      Originally posted by scscpoker
      I havent experiences with playing cash games live etc., just few small tournaments, it just theoretically looks very hard to beat variance there, because playing 1k hands live really isnt quick.

Hm, could u show some statistics about that win rate?
      no, but a simple observation of a typical live cash game player (limp 8/10 hands, fold to a raise 6/8 times, call the raise, and check/fold the flop 2/8 games) will help you understand how live poker winrates can be higher
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Gold
      Live cash is waaaaay softer. And physical reads are also +EV which you can't do online.