Full ring or Short handed?

• DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      I'm just wondering which you personally think is most profitable, and most fishy?
      I currently play NL25 SH and sometimes feel like it's just a waste of time, most of the regs are boring ABC players who won't go broke without the nuts, and i'm just getting bored of not being able to make a decent hourly win because of all the nits.
  • 12 replies
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      I get the feeling that games are getting nittier every day. FR seems to be nittier though, since there are lots of nut peddlers who play 20 tables and whose vpip is like 9 and PFR 3. They usually are rather exploitable but playing them is dead boring. In the long run you'll get a small win rate and serious depression.

I hope poker rooms will deal with the nit problem if it gets worse in the future. I read an interesting article about bringing in antes and double blinds for example. That would get the action going and nut peddlers would have to learn some > 9 vpip poker or get a real job.
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      double the blinds? it's called NL50 :f_biggrin:
      but yeah i know what you mean, it's a piss take.
    • alister15
      alister15
      Bronze
      I'm a fool, but IMO I would say SH is more profitable but higher variance.
    • Pichux
      Pichux
      Bronze
      Went to SH just because at FR there are 3 more nits, that hit their nuts that much more times. Plus in SH it's more possible that the rare fish will think that he has a soulread on us when we are playing aggro and is making hero calls and other +EV for us, moves.
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      Well i just gave full ring a go and seemed to find waaay more fish's there, but it is late (which is when most fish come out)
      I'm still not sure
    • Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      Im gonna give mi fish' opinion:

First of all its the same game, so it doesn't matter whether you play SH or FR I think one still needs the same abilities... The only difference is than obviously ranges are looser at SH and that also means more variance...

But at least in the bigger rooms where there are plenty of tables I don't see why one as a begginer would like to choose the modality with higher variance. I think the best is to play FR up to 100-200NL and from there if you want to play higher then yeah shift to SH.

And about the nits on the table... I don't see what's bad about opp. playing with their hands face up?
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      offtopic, but I don't like FR because you need more tables to get more action, this means you must make them small (in this case it is not good for your eyes) or overlapping, or you must buy big monitors.

But I am not yet good enough to play SH so I still play FR.
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      And about the nits on the table... I don't see what's bad about opp. playing with their hands face up?
      Well, nothing wrong about it. Basically the same as working as an receptionist or a bus driver... Doing the same routine things all day, earning a small buck, not developing youre skills and not going anywhere with you're life. Nothing substantially wrong with playing against nits ;) Just depressing.
    • Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fuzzyfish
      Well, nothing wrong about it. Basically the same as working as an receptionist or a bus driver... Doing the same routine things all day, earning a small buck, not developing youre skills and not going anywhere with you're life. Nothing substantially wrong with playing against nits ;) Just depressing.
      Depends on the level you play
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      I'm in the process of trying out 6max tables, I feel like I was a pretty decent aggro reg at FR on ipoker and I'm at the point where its difficult to get a good number of tables going above nl100 (impossible to get 6 tables running at anytime not peak time)

From what I've seen so far, there is equally fishy play on both, FR is definitely nittier though and I would think its easier to develop a really good redline playing FR than SH. The nice thing about SH is that its sometimes easier to target the fish and get in more hands with them than you might FR sometimes. It's also nice having a larger player pool to play against.
    • DecMate
      DecMate
      Bronze
      Yes true but also playing SH you are on the blinds more which equals to more rake being paid, and also i feel like i can't multi-table as many SH tables compared to FR, when i just tried FR i multi-tabled 24 with ease.
      I think i'm going to switch, i'll tell you how it goes by next monday!
    • wasy8
      wasy8
      Black
      Well the difficulty in switching from FR to SH is that you play like 10% more hands, so its only natural that you'd have to drop the number of tables to play as profitably as you can.

GL and make sure you let us know how it goes!