My poker ascension

• YourDoom
      YourDoom
      Bronze
      Hi all,

I am from Prague and started with poker about month ago.

After some donking and trying at start I learned basics, got account back to 50 even made some profit just to lose all-in to bad beat and twice that amount to following tilt. I moved to limit games, but after short while left because limit games are boooooring (and when I tried to multitable them my BB/100 droped rapidly) I moved to tournaments.

At first I played Rebuy satelites (they have nice prizepool inflated by 5x rebought fishes :-)) which was great for me because I was profitable even at start and there was just little bubble action (my biggest leak that time) My strategy was very simple - play only good hands and do not rebuy.

When I tried normal Sit'n'Grinds and found how hard bubble is when someone have just vague idea what to do here. Ya I read about it BUT...

So I made decision to master the bubble and found my waters - SupTurbos - Its 9-handed tournament where everyone start with 300 chips, starting blinds 15/30 and increasing quite slowly - perfect place to train bubble and heads-up play.
      After quite tough start I addapted to fast changing playstele of this tournaments and started real killing - Now I am the one who bullies in bubble and get maximum from it in order to win tourney. And when tourney go wrong its quite hard to kill me in bubble. Situation in bubble have changed :s_cool:

Also beeing "green break-even" before now my bankroll started to show some nice progress, today I hit 100 USD mark and doubled starting capital.

ST SnG winnings chart looks this way now:

over 30% ROI is quite insane, imo its bit upswing, but I want to keep it over 20%

Also when I look at ranking summary I am sure I made huge progress in bubble play (total 109 SnGs, 24 wins, 10 2nds and 13 3rds)

Looking forward to grinding bit more and then moving to MTTs and higher limit SnGs.
  • 30 replies
    • YourDoom
      YourDoom
      Bronze
      Tried some MTTs, even 4-tabling 45ppl SnGs
      I managed to make it to final table at three tournaments simultaneously and it was pretty hardcore - I was unable to focus and played very poorly - in fact screwed 2 chipleads and 1 average stack into two 4th and one 5th places.

Also had sucess at Dialy dollar tournament, but I will not play it again... 7 hours is sick...

mtt results
      Dialy dollar - 1x out of money, 1x 57th of 9k (15USD)
      45 ppl 1+0.1 SnG - 5x out of money, 2x 4th (4.50) and 1x 5th (2.70)

Bankroll: 140 USD

Just wondering wheter its some sick upswing or I have learned sometning...

To Do:
      [ :s_biggrin: ] rewiev all postflop play articles (my postflop sucks)
      [ :s_biggrin: ] get/make some push-fold guidelines for mid stages of SnGs
      [ :s_biggrin: ] get/make some bluff guidelines (my bluffs are sometimes really stupid)
      [ :s_biggrin: ] somehow solve disconnection problems (costed me +- 3USD today)
    • BOBOsvk
      BOBOsvk
      Bronze
      I live in Prague and i play superturbos also.

GL :D
    • YourDoom
      YourDoom
      Bronze
      Tourney money chart now look this way:

I am starting to have clear advantage at 1USD SnGs so if I will keep it up for few more days I will move to next limit.

Today I played funny heads-up - villian just let himself blinded out bellow 2BB 3 times :f_eek:
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Nice blog mate. Micro SnGs can be pretty tough stuff, keep focused, keep studying and you'll get through them.
      Good luck!
    • YourDoom
      YourDoom
      Bronze
      Tilt-swing and back, nearly 500 tourney rewiev

Tilt got me for for a while - important lesson for me - NEVER EVER play tired and/or after bad streak... just take a break and everything is fine again.
      Shoving KT into 3 limps (trying to win what I lost) is really not good idea...

Anyway I am more then satisfied when looking at my tourney chart, when I remove learning period and recent Tilt-swing its great. Now I am able to see when I make blunder and win anyway, which is imo very important for elevating my skill. Now I am much less likely to make stupid bluffs. (still LOT to learn ofc)
      Also I adapt to opponents bit more (limping AA before steal-a-lot multitabler during bubble etc...)

current bankroll: 164 USD

low variance and solid ROI is sexy :s_love:
      Anyway no limit advancement until 200 USD bankroll

known leaks:
      expecting fishes to play according to ICM
      low-bling bubble, 3-handed ITM and heads-up play
      too loose calls vs very tight villians heads-up
      miscallculations of $EV when underdog-calling shortie shoves

ged: Thanks! Learned it hard way recently :f_frown:
      I maybe can be profitable even during B-game (blunder-less), but definitely not during D-game (donk)
    • BOBOsvk
      BOBOsvk
      Bronze
      move up move up

and remember the rule n.1:

NEVER TRY TO OUTPLAY A DONKEY

ex. bubble situation,

shortstack has 1 blind, and folds, sb raises and u have XY on the BB, never push because this donk will call you with 2 paints or Ax
    • YourDoom
      YourDoom
      Bronze
      Finaly reached $200 mark

current bankroll: 205 USD

Played some 1+0.10 45ppl SnG, 2+0.15 SupTurbo SnGs, 2.50+0.20 54ppl SupTurbo SnGs and of course a lot of 1+0.10 SupTurbos

Generally I have better ROI in normal tourneys then in SuPTurbos, but it does not apply on $/hour (yes I started to think this way too), 2.50+0.20 54ppl SupTurbos have sick variance for me - I played scared money here :f_frown:
      also tried 6- and even 9-table 1+0.1 SupTurbo SnGs, but poor results.

Time to set new bankroll management (and advance in limits)
      at least 60 BIs for 1-table SnGs (SupTurbo or not)
      at least 120 BIs for MTT SnGs (normal turbos and slower)
      at least 150 BIs for MTT SnGs (SupTurbos)
      cash NLHE and PLO - 0.01/0.02 only

quite nitty, but it will do the job and at 300 USD it allows to play much more, next adjustment of bankroll management at 500 USD

To Do:
      [ :s_biggrin: ] rewiev pushing/calling ranges (87s >> A3o)
      [ :diamond: ] NEVER EVER second barrel bluff in micros
      [ :diamond: ] try to induce bluffs more (dry board)
    • YourDoom
      YourDoom
      Bronze
      Vienna Party challenge

Since I play "less then optimum quantity" I need some plan to follow... and TwiceT's victory in LoC can add some motivation :f_biggrin:

If I make it to $500 mark until Friday, 26th November I will go to Vienna party.

current bankroll: $284.19

all tournaments will be 2+0.15 SupTurbo SnGs, minimum 32 dialy, maximum 60 dialy, always played as 4-tabled set. No other poker.

If I expect 50 dialy as average I will play 750 SnGs and I will need ROI +13.38% (Rakeback not counted) - since I had more at 1+0.1s and have more now at 2+0.15s it is achievable. And even if I fail I will gain a lot by adding discipline to my poker "career"
    • YourDoom
      YourDoom
      Bronze
      current bankroll : $409.64

Managed to keep 32 tourneys a day minimum (although once I finished some after midnight) but average is about 40 dialy instead of expected 50 - I found hard to play A-game more then 3 set.

reminder to myself : Fishes do not know or use ICM - pushing any 2 as bubble bigstack is not good idea. On other hand when facing regs its often good idea to put bubble "on fire" and gain chiplead with pushes even slightly against ICM (I adjusted ranges a bit, coz imo eg. Q4>K4 in some of those situations) Even slight chiplead versus regs often leads to heads-up as 3:1 favorite :f_love:

In low-blind heads-up versus regs miniraising any 2 works like magic, they often does not know what to do with this and fold to much :P
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      nice progress so far GL !
    • YourDoom
      YourDoom
      Bronze
      running pretty cold :f_frown:

Had 2 bad days and ROI for last 2 weaks droped to measly 6.54%, this can be surely fixed by adding some more volume.

Graph from 12th to 24th looks this way

Good thing is that I managed to play 32/day every day, although it irritated me more then once it is valuable experience. I will surely not make rule like this because forcing myself to play some quantity even if I am not playing A-game is not optimal solution.

I have noticed two things - some regs started to fear me (nice egobooster :f_biggrin: ) and I am inclined to end winning session "to stay green" and continue losing session "to balance it by adding bit of volume" - both is totaly wrong. Any ideas how to get rid of it?

Planning to switch to 6-tabling at weekend.
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      Originally posted by YourDoom
      I am inclined to end winning session "to stay green" and continue losing session "to balance it by adding bit of volume" - both is totaly wrong. Any ideas how to get rid of it?
      dont look at ur results during a session. only at the end.
    • YourDoom
      YourDoom
      Bronze
      6-tabling 2+0.15s now - still low sample, but I cant see drop in my game.
      On other hand when I tried 9-tables it was too many for me, I will try month later.

Tried bit of NL5 rush today and -4.6 BIs in 170 hands or so... Yes I had bad luck (lost 3 hands that went all-in coz of river) but its still lesson about how essential is forming a strategy in my head before trying something new.
      EDIT: important note - I tilted after losing second big hand.
    • YourDoom
      YourDoom
      Bronze
      This is sick! not just ordinary downswing, but this time I think FullTilt want humiliate me... AJ < A9 is absolutly standart, but todays special menu was like losing trips to runner runner straights (AI flop), losing two-pair vs A-high to runner runner 2 pair (AI flop) and the high-light was losing floped full house to runner runner board quads with A kicker. (AI pre) All within 54 superturbos. SICK :f_frown:

This encouraged me to not move to higher limit until I have 1k roll. Tiem to take a break, review session with Wiz and go again. 9-tabling now, maybe I will switch back to 6-table for a while.
    • YourDoom
      YourDoom
      Bronze
      Another session where I was 10 BIs bellow EV after 20 SnGs :f_frown: Looking forward to some nice upswing :f_biggrin:

graph for 2011 so far (2+0.15 SupTurbos) ROI -0,5% EV +7,5% (rakeback not included)

Made some rough observations an found I do following:
      1 (non-intentional) timeout in cca 10 games (!!!) - need to fix this asap
      1 minor mistake (which I am aware of instantly after play) in cca 10 games - quite ok
      1 idiotic blunder in cca 50 games - hope I will remove this entirely
    • YourDoom
      YourDoom
      Bronze
      goals for January

[ :s_biggrin: ] 1 200 SupTurbos and/or Turbos total
      [ :f_frown: ] gold status
      [ :s_biggrin: ] some ironman on FT
      [ :diamond: ] make steal charts for CO and BU vs unknowns
      [ :s_biggrin: ] develop strategies versus 2-3 most frequent regs
      [ :diamond: ] do not tilt
    • YourDoom
      YourDoom
      Bronze
      finally sexy side of variance +11 BIs (green-red) over 50 turbos. Funny is that in last few sessions my green line was lot different then red one (on both sides) - never experienced this so sickly up to now. Also made my record -3.45 BIs $EV in one tourney :f_biggrin: (which makes me doubt wheter red line tells anything at all...)

I will probably stick to normal turbos for a while - edge is bigger here.

One tourney was pretty funny - I 3bet maniac (cca 75/60/10 af/25% 3bet) with AK, he called, flop was three low cards, I cbeted 3/4 pot into him and called his check/shove, he was pretty furios when he seen AK crushing his QJo. Later, when tourney became 3handed I got AJ and raised 3BBs from SB (blinds were still very small) he called, flop was AT7r so i checked to induce bluff, he shoved for about 5,5 pots so i called. He had T7 - still guessing wheter I was just unlucky or he outsmarted me by shove expecting I am trying to induce bluff and will call his shove.
    • YourDoom
      YourDoom
      Bronze
      12.3 BIs bellow EV in just 36 turbos... cant I have normal session sometimes? Last dozen sessions was either very lucky or very unlucky :f_frown:
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Originally posted by YourDoom
      12.3 BIs bellow EV in just 36 turbos... cant I have normal session sometimes? Last dozen sessions was either very lucky or very unlucky :f_frown:
      turn off the EV line :P