Callins 3bets with pockets

• z1pz0r
      z1pz0r
      Bronze
      I wonder when should I call 3bets with my pockets.
      I only call them when I'm in position against opponents with low 3betting range.
      My guess is that it's more profitable against such opponents, as they are more inclined to go broke with their QQ+ hands.
      Thoughts?
  • 5 replies
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze
      Originally posted by z1pz0r
      with low 3betting range.
      You mean high?
    • z1pz0r
      z1pz0r
      Bronze
      No, I actually just add some bluff 4-bets to those with high 3-bet value.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Calling 3-bets with pocket pairs is a common leak. You generally do not have the implied odds to call for set value alone, and you often have an information disadvantage.

More favorable conditions:

You have position.
      You have a good read on how your opponent plays postflop.
      Your pair is a medium pair instead of a low pair, so that you have more showdown value and more chances to flop a straight draw.
      The stack-to-pot ratio is unusually high for a heads-up pot due to deeper stacks or a smaller 3-bet.

It is perfectly reasonable to raise with a low pair, and then fold to a 3-bet.
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      if u r playing deep u can call 3b for set value alot
    • Bierbaer
      Bierbaer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pzhon
      Calling 3-bets with pocket pairs is a common leak. You generally do not have the implied odds to call for set value alone, and you often have an information disadvantage.

More favorable conditions:

You have position.
      You have a good read on how your opponent plays postflop.
      Your pair is a medium pair instead of a low pair, so that you have more showdown value and more chances to flop a straight draw.
      The stack-to-pot ratio is unusually high for a heads-up pot due to deeper stacks or a smaller 3-bet.
      I pretty much have the same approach for those situations.

One very important thing to have in mind is, that you can basically never call only for setvalue.
      Even if the opponent 3bets very tight like {QQ+, AK} there's a total of 18 combinations of QQ+ and 16 combinations of AK - sometimes there's an overcard to his pair on the board and you won't get his stack, sometimes he might be able to fold TP at some point and sometimes he might even outdraw you!
      So if you call the 3bet it's always only because you have additional information that enables you to take the pot away from your opponent from time to time (in addition to the setvalue)

So it all boils down to this:
      Originally posted by pzhon
      It is perfectly reasonable to raise with a low pair, and then fold to a 3-bet.