New and raring to go

• cheekopeh
      Hi guys, I just signed up and I hope to do well around here and in the poker rooms.

I was once a PokerStar member, signed up with $15 USD and got up to $130 within a week but lost it all in a single day because I didn't have bankroll management.

Now that I've read some of the great articles here, I hope I can do better. And thanks to this website, I think it's great.

Hope to know a few friends here as well who can discuss strategies and hands with me about this great game called poker!

• 6 replies
    • Helipacter
      Welcome to PokerStrategy Cheekopeh!

Sounds like you learned about BRM the hardway! Best of luck, I recommend not only reading the articles/watching the videos, but also using the hand eval forums.

Also, if you play SnGs regularly, download the ICM trainer.

Best of luck!
    • HannesZ
      Hello cheekopeh,

Welcome to our site!

You should use a good bankroll management this time, as you already know what happens if you don't use it ;)

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask in our forums.

Best regards,
    • cheekopeh
      Thanks for the replies!

Tried getting a hang of Fulltilt for about an hour or more just now and managed to make a few extra cents. Lol.

Don't know if I should ask my question in this thread.

But I'll ask anyway, how do I build up my bankroll as fast as possible? I know it takes some time and I have to be patient (I'm a damn impatient person but I'm trying).

However, I know SNGs and some bigger tournaments pay out a lot for maybe just a dollar or even lesser for the entry fee.

Do you guys recommend playing ring games at $0.01/0.02 or maybe SNG or even bigger tournaments to build up bankroll "safely" for now?

Looking forward to your replies(:
    • nonamezNET
      Hello cheekopeh,
      Im not really a pro at poker, for the tird time im trying to build my bankroll, why? Because i had no bankroll management and now i learned to control myself, im impatient too i mean, not anymore at poker because i learned my lesson! I doubled my bankroll in a few days playing SNG's with a good bankroll management.
      For me, it is more safely playing at SNG's because that's what a like best and i get less tilted than playin cash game :D .
      Good luck to you.
    • Ultifanatic
      Being impatient with poker is a trait that you need to learn how to control both on and off the table.
      But that is a different topic for now...

As for bankroll and what to play to quickly increase it...

Well first off, play what you enjoy the most plus have an aptitude for....If that is Cash, SnG, MTT, Ohama, Rush poker what might as well play something ou are going to enjo and you understand/are better at...

Then from there it depends on your bankroll and your risk aversion...

If you have large bankroll, you can start out a few levels up from the super micro stakes....and if you have a low risk aversion to reloading your bankroll, then you can start with an aggresive buyin limit.

As for actually building that bankroll bigger quickly. That all depends on how quickly you can learn how to properl play poker and how much volume you want to put in....and I do not mean mass multitabling either. I mean if you fare comfortable playing 1 table how man hours do you want to commit to playing 1 table over and over again PLUS learning more and more advanced tactics...

I know this a very vague post but it was meant to be that way....there is only ONE way to build a bankroll. That is to learn how to keep playing better and better and that quicker or more efficiently and you will increase your bankroll quicker and more efficiently....
    • peche025
      Ultifanatic's post was solid advice, best way to increase your back roll is to learn one game you enjoy and play and study. Don't forget the study part! Use the articles, videos, coachings and hand evaluations forums that PS offers.