[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH Rush - Set implieds

• StaticMoth
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BU (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is BU with 2, 2.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, SB folds, BB raises to $1.10, Hero calls $0.80.

Flop: ($2.25) K, 2, Q (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.75, BB calls $1.75.

Turn: ($5.75) 3 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $4.50, BB raises to $7.15, Hero calls $2.65.

River: ($20.05) J (2 players)

Final Pot: $20.05.

Results follow:

Hero shows three of a kind, twos(2s 2h).
      BB shows a pair of kings(9c Kh).

Hero wins with three of a kind, twos(2s 2h).

Usually the correct play is to dump the pair vs 3bet as I'm not even remotely getting the right odds and we aren't deep, but vs such a tight villain I should be stacking him almost every time I hit, so the call here is okay given the implieds ?

I'm used to hearing that with standard 100bb stacks even the implieds aren't enough for calling since even in case of a hit I won't stack him every time ...

But a 13/9/3bet 3.3%/FvsFCbet: 33% villaing should be an exception right?
      Sample is 383 hands as well

Though I was really surprised when I saw what he had.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

Like I said in another thread recently, even nits these days are watching videos and stuff and know about 3betting light, even if they have no clue what to do after the initial 3bet preflop.

The main reason we advise folding small pocket pairs to a 3-bet against regulars is because most of them are aggressive enough that they won't let you see a showdown with underpairs most of the time. So then since your hand has effectively no showdown value unless you hit a set, you're forced to rely only on implied odds to justify calling preflop.

Now imagine that villain is so straightforward that you can read him like an open book postflop: if he doesn't have anything on the flop, he won't c-bet. If he hits something on the turn/river he will bet, otherwise he'll try and check it down. Suddenly, you're able to navigate your way to a showdown postflop easily when you know you have the best hand, so you're not locked into folding every single time on the flop when you don't hit. The added value of seeing a showdown when you're ahead, makes it a lot more viable for you to call with pocket pairs in position despite having poor setmining odds, because you're not exclusively setmining anymore. Even if villain is 3-betting AK/QQ+ only, he has AK about as often as he has QQ+ and he'll whiff postflop with AK half the time where you'll see a showdown and be good. Of course this is an extreme example, but it shows how villain being straightforward can help you playing pocket pairs better against a 3bet.

Postflop is played fine obviously, sometimes you'll run into KK/QQ after tight villain oddly didn't c-bet the flop but what can you do :p

Hope it helps.