Jass' MTT on Full Tilt Anti Leak Blog

• jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Hi Guys and Gals,

Have been playing for a few months and thought I would write a blog - please feel to comment, criticise, praise, whatever....

Reason for writing is really to focus myself - I do well at MTTs and have won a couple in the last few weeks, but I have started to leak and this is my anti-leak blog.

I have a tendency to play too many hands to early and this puts me under pressure and generally I am out of the tournament before it has really started.

Also I am completely shit at Rush tournaments, but I still play them - what a leak!

And pretty crap at short stack tournaments - another leak!!!

Today's analysis

10 Tournaments

3 ITM
      2 Final Table
      1 Bubble Boy (God I hate that!!)
      ROI +15%

10 Tournaments

1 - no cards (Short Stack)
      2 - one of those things (i.e slight favourite e.g. 88 ai beaten by AQ fl Q)
      3 - unlucky (i.e huge favourite e.g. AA ai beaten by K9 fl K tu 9)
      3 - stupidity (playing crap starting hands OOP and not folding - dumb ass!!)

Anyway feel free to comment

Jass
  • 75 replies
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Hi

I think I should change the name of my blog to the above....

Or employ someone to beat me with a big stick!!!!!

In my first post I said....

I have a tendency to play too many hands to early and this puts me under pressure and generally I am out of the tournament before it has really started.

Well I played 5 tournaments last night and was out of 2 of them before my seat was warm!! Stupid xxxx

Normally I just sit down and play but I thought I would set myself some targets.... ITM x 2, Final Table x 1, Winning Session.........

So you can see that I had a lot to do... anyway 2 hours later I am in the money in one tournament and nearing the bubble in another.

Now it may have been 2.30am, but I can't use tiredness as an excuse, stupidity yes!!!!!!

I was on the Final Table lying 6th out of 7th - the guy who was lying 7th was sitting out and would have been out next hand - did I wait? No way ai AJ v 55 and I was 7th - stupid!!

Even worse was to follow, I had survived and was going to be ITM in a 665 player tournament - again no patience I went for a blind steal - and lost 64th and Bubble Boy (63 ITM).

So with these 2 mistakes (4 if you count my early exits) I managed to turn a winning session with all my targets met to a break even one!!!

Beat me!!!

Jass
    • fryandspicy
      fryandspicy
      Bronze
      Hi, i like the "today's analysis" section. Quite interesting.

I don't think you should set yourself performance based targets, because in the short run you have very little influence over your results. You could just get unlucky. Better is to set targets like 'i will only lose a tournament due to stupidity once today' or similar.
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jass1960

So with these 2 mistakes (4 if you count my early exits) I managed to turn a winning session with all my targets met to a break even one!!!

Jass
      Well actually those mistakes made my group of 10 tournaments a loss making session.

Today's analysis

10 Tournaments

3 ITM
      3 Final Table
      1 Bubble Boy
      ROI -4%

10 Tournaments

1 - no cards
      6 - one of those things (i.e slight favourite or slight underdog)
      1 - unlucky (i.e huge favourite)
      2 - stupidity
    • Murn90
      Murn90
      Bronze
      Hey. Nice idea with leak finding blog.
      I think you might be focussing to much on going itm. Which tourneys do you play? cause normally only placing top 3 really matters.
      Therefore I also think that it might be okay to do early gambles.

Just my 2 cents. :)
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fryandspicy
      Hi, i like the "today's analysis" section. Quite interesting.
      Thanks for the reply - just for you then...

Today's analysis

10 Tournaments

2 ITM
      2 Final Table
      1 Win (new category :D )
      0 Bubble Boy
      ROI +12%

10 Tournaments

1 - no cards
      3 - one of those things (i.e slight favourite or slight underdog)
      3 - unlucky (i.e huge favourite)
      2 - stupidity
      1 - win

I don't think you should set yourself performance based targets, because in the short run you have very little influence over your results. You could just get unlucky. Better is to set targets like 'i will only lose a tournament due to stupidity once today' or similar.
      Good Idea...

So an interesting session.

My win (sort of) was in a qualifier for a bigger tournament - I find that there tends to be a small field and top 10% qualify (next 5% get cash) - ROI is 10 x stake (including rake) and if I 'win' I unregister and get tournament $.

I haven't got proper stats yet, but think it is about a 1 in 4 return which makes overall ROI +40%.

In this game 3 'won' and 4th place got 3 x stake - after 160 hands we were down to the top 4 - and then had a marathon 115 hand session before 1 was knocked out.

My other interesting Tournament was a 180 player SNG where I was going out (390 chips) - all in T9 v 99 - T on the river.... lucky, lucky bastard!!!
      I went on finish ITM and just missed the final table.

Cheers

Jass
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Murn90
      Hey. Nice idea with leak finding blog.
      I think you might be focussing to much on going itm. Which tourneys do you play? cause normally only placing top 3 really matters.
      Therefore I also think that it might be okay to do early gambles.

Just my 2 cents. :)
      A wide variety........

My strategy is to grind away in 180 player SNGs (aiming for ITM) and small field qualifiers (winning tournament dollars) and invest that bank roll in 400-600 player MTT Tournaments - where Final Table payouts are good and in the last month I have been lucky (or good enough) to win 2 :D

So my aim is to try to stay in the smaller grinding tournaments and wait for decent hands rather than rushing and playing any old rubbish - and in MTTs because of their length I know I can't win it with the first hand, but I sure can lose it ?( - however, knowing this and doing it - well that is where stupidity plays a part.

Cheers Jass
    • Murn90
      Murn90
      Bronze
      Okay, I'm not sure if I made my point, or you just don't agree. But taking the early gambles will allow you to build a stack that can go all the way, and in the 180 on ftp I think i remember them to be quite top heavy - like on stars.
      Sure, if you play satelites for T$ then your focus is on surviving.
      But unless this is the case then aiming for first should be the goal, and itm should have very little focus, well focus on the bubble and exploit others trying to make the money.
      Don't know if you already watched it, but aaron made a 180 man series in which he explain all this. :)
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Okay, I'm not sure if I made my point, or you just don't agree.
      Bit of both really - at the moment trying to find my way......

However, happy to gamble early with decent hands but my stupidity has been early hands from BB like Q8 fl 899 - playing aggressive and losing half my stack - really putting myself under pressure :(

Haven't seen the vid will search for it - thanks for the input :D

Cheers Jass
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze

Don't know if you already watched it, but aaron made a 180 man series in which he explain all this. :)
      Great Videos - thanks for the advice - Aaron definitely goes for the win!!

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/11794

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/11889

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/12124
    • Murn90
      Murn90
      Bronze
      Your welcome. :)

Now go crush. ;)
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Your welcome. :)

Now go crush. ;)
      Well I didn't exactly crush them, but I did play more aggressively and gave myself a chance of a big prize going out 5th in a 340 man tournament - TT ai well ahead until he got a lucky flush on the river............. ?(

20 Tournaments

7 ITM
      5 Final Table
      2 Bubble Boy
      1 Win
      ROI + 7.5%

ROI would have been higher, but figures are skewed because I entered a $10 tournament (usually play $1-$3) and a $3 rebuy (Rebuy and Add-on)

Cheers

Jass
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Hi

Maybe there is something to be said for this aggressive 'playing for a win' style :D

10 Tournaments
      0 Knocked out because of stupidly
      2 ITM
      2 Final Table
      0 Bubble Boy
      1 Win
      1 Second
      ROI + 232%

Cheers

Jass
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Another aggressive day and a good win :D

Entrants 352 Position 1 Winnings $176

Interesting tournament could have tilted when this happened:

Stacks:
      UTG with 5572
      MP1 with 8586
      MP2 with 10665
      Hero with 13845
      BTN with 2166
      SB with 5675
      BB with 3571

Dealt to Hero:6♦ A♦

Preflop:
      1 players fold.
      MP1 calls [240]
      MP2 calls [240] Hero calls [240]
      1 players fold.
      SB calls [120]
      BB checks
      Total folds this street: 2
      Potsize: 1200

Flop: J♦ Q♦ 9♦

SB checks
      BB checks
      MP1 bets [480]
      1 players fold.
      Hero calls [480]
      1 players fold.
      BB raises to 1,306
      1 players fold.
      Hero calls [826]
      Total folds this street: 3
      Potsize: 4292

Turn: 7♥

BB bets [1,999] Hero calls [1,999]
      Potsize: 6292

River: 8♦

BB checks Hero bets [240]
      BB calls [1] [ all-in ] Uncalled bet of 239 returned to Hero

Results:
      Hero shows : 6♦ A♦
      BB shows : 10♦ K♥
      BB wins the pot (8,467) with a straight flush, Queen high

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

20 Tournaments
      0 Knocked out because of stupidly
      3 ITM
      4 Final Table
      1 Bubble Boy
      2 Win
      ROI + 366%

In another 20 tournaments I will give an overview of the first 100 since this blog started.

:f_biggrin:
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      20 Tournaments

1 Knocked out because of stupidly
      6 ITM
      7 Final Table
      2 Bubble Boy
      3 Win
      ROI + 162%
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      100 Tournaments

8 Knocked out because of stupidity
      26 ITM
      26 Final Table
      7 Bubble Boy
      8 Win
      ROI + 89%

Entry Fees $237.74
      Winnings $450.01
      Profit $212.27

Jass :D
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jass1960
      100 Tournaments

8 Knocked out because of stupidity
      26 ITM
      26 Final Table
      7 Bubble Boy
      8 Win
      ROI + 89%

Entry Fees $237.74
      Winnings $450.01
      Profit $212.27

Jass :D

So those were the basic figures but what is more interesting is what I learnt in the first 100 tournaments.....

And of course the leaks.....

Leak 1 - Cash Games

Since I started playing in April (with my Pokerstrategy $50 :P ) this is far and away my biggest leak. I keep trying cash games... and failing miserably.

Tournaments Profit $883
      Bonus and Rakeback $270
      Cash Game Losses $589

Overall $563 :s_biggrin:

Leak 2 - Choice of tournaments

I had absolutely no strategy when it came to choosing what tournaments to enter - as long as it was within my BRM I was in - MTT, Rush tournaments, SNG, Full & Short ring, 1 table Tournaments, Double Ups; Turbos & Superturbos; You name it I played it (except Heads Up).

Only by starting this thread and analysing my results properly have I settled on a coherent strategy.

MTT (300-500)
      180 SNG
      Qualifier for 200k Double Deuce

The latter is generally 40 player strong with top 3 qualifying (next 2 get cash). Buy in is $2.20 and as soon as I qualify I de-register and use the tournament dollars to fund MTT and SNG buy-in.

That has been a sound strategy.........

Entries 23
      Entry Fees $50.60
      Won Tournament Dollars $154.00
      Won Cash $18.60
      Total Profit $122.00 :D

So I have stopped playing rush tournaments/Rebuys and other assorted tournaments where I have been leaking my profits away.

Leak 3 - Stupidity

Variance will always play a part in poker - bad beats, coin flips etc... but I have found that by cutting out stupid mistakes - which I will never do entirely - I can make a huge difference to my bottom line.

I have spent a lot of time seeing where I went wrong in tournaments and chasing early profit with poor hands was a terrible leak - I Have virtually cut that out and I go deeper into tournaments. Virtually all my profit this time was in the last 30 tournaments and 80% of stupid mistakes in the first 30.

Cheers Jass
    • SSSC2NV
      SSSC2NV
      Bronze
      Jass, your blog is very interesting to me, I will be setting up something very similar to this for myself.

Very impressed with what appears to be an absolute different direction since watching aarons videos! I have yet to watch these, but I can tell ya, from your results, I will be sure to watch them twice before I play my next tourney! LOL.

Great job and keep up the hard work!

Jeff
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SSSC2NV
      Jass, your blog is very interesting to me, I will be setting up something very similar to this for myself.

Very impressed with what appears to be an absolute different direction since watching aarons videos! I have yet to watch these, but I can tell ya, from your results, I will be sure to watch them twice before I play my next tourney! LOL.

Great job and keep up the hard work!

Jeff
      Cheers Jeff.....

Let me know when you are up and running and yes watch Aaron's videos - I used to hate being bubble boy, but now I would rather go for the win than get a few dollars for being ITM.

Cheers Jass :D
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze

20 Tournaments

2 Knocked out because of stupidity
      3 ITM
      3 Final Table
      1 Bubble Boy
      2 Win
      ROI -17%

Not a lot so say about these 20 - a couple of stupid mistakes and no cards.