Mastering NL2 FR. was (A new man on the blog)

• zealas
      zealas
      Bronze
      Hi all,

I am a 23 years old from Bulgaria and decided to give a shot to Holdem.

I managed to pass the test and get the 50$ bonus which I wiped out pretty fast.... down to 33$.

I then decided to read some articles some books and so on and I am back to 50$ after around 3k hands at NL2. Few days ago I was going really bad on NL2 so I decided to give a shot to NL5 all went well so I decided to play NL5 from now on.

I know that it is a bit against BRM however I am only playing 2 tables and find a more profitable than 4 tabling NL2.

Since I am still very noobish (like over 4k hands in poker at all) I am playing really slow and almost always face cards only. I am trying to be agro sometimes but I miserably fail.

What I like about poker is that it keeps me organized. Waking up early to grind and so on.

I've started the blog so that I can discuss what I cannot explain by myself or google. I hope (and I am sure) I will find the support around here.

I have almost now time now but tomorrow I will post some hands, some graphs and so on.

I hope to be able to keep this blog regularly updated and organized.

This is from me. Take care.

p.s. I noticed the "rule" about short and long term targets, I will try to make some soon. however as a long (very long) term target I can put this.

p.p.s For those of you that would suggest me to sell my kidney, already checked aaand its not enough :f_cry:
  • 24 replies
    • zealas
      zealas
      Bronze
      Okey guys as I promised here we go with the update.

:spade: First of all graphs.

:diamond: All of my hands played all the time with tracking software

:diamond: All time NL2

:diamond: All time NL5 :f_biggrin:

What I have to say is that I am really playing very low number of hands on NL5, I am just kinda afraid because I dont have enough BR to be more loose.

:spade: Second, hand analysis.

Now today I played one hand that got my attention even though I won in the end.

Known players:
      Position
      SB
      BU

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.87 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with T:heart: , 3:heart:
      4 folds, BU calls $0.05, SB calls $0.03, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.15) T:club: , 9:diamond: , 3:club: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.15, BU calls $0.15, SB folds.

Turn: ($0.45) Q:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.3, Hero calls $0.30.

River: ($1.05) 5:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.75, Hero calls $0.75.

Final Pot: $2.55

Results follow (highlight to see):
      BU shows (9h 8c)
      Hero shows two-pair, tens and threes (Th 3h)

Hero wins with two-pair, tens and threes (Th 3h)

Now as you can see I was just big blind and just had to enter the hand. I hit the TP on the flop however I got called on my bet and on the river I was really puzzled what to do. I was wondering what is the possibility of him having a Q and I decided that the chance of him having a Q is 4(the number of Qs in the deck) multiplied by the number of the other cards becase Q with everything aside would beat me. So I multiplied 4 x 47 = 188. So there are 188 hands with Q inside. Out of the 1326 starting hands in poker this is 0.14 or 14%. Is this calculation correct at all and if so, does it mean that I have 86% equity against him with my pair of tens ? I know I can calculate it with the PS Equilator but I want to learn how to calculate it myself.

Hope I will find the answer here.

btw. I noticed that the guy is constantly betting 2/3 of the pot which means that he has a made hand (or he is supposed to but I decided to risk it :f_p: )
    • zealas
      zealas
      Bronze
      Hi all, (if any)

Today I had a very nasty bad beats and I wonder what I played wrong ?

I hope someone will help me out there.

:diamond: Hand 1

Known players:
      Position
      UTG2

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5:diamond: , 5:club:
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 raises to $0.10, 5 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, BB folds, UTG2 calls $0.20.

Flop: ($0.65) K:diamond: , 8:club: , 4:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG2 checks.

Turn: ($0.65) 6:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG2 checks.

River: ($0.65) 7:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.72 (All-In), UTG2 calls $2.72.

Final Pot: $6.09

UTG2 shows a straight, ten high (Td 9h)
      Hero shows (5d 5c)

UTG2 wins with a straight, ten high (Td 9h)

I have absolutely no comments here !? I have no idea how I Should have played this.

:diamond: Hand 2

Known players:
      Position
      SB
      CO

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A:heart: , Q:heart:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, CO calls $0.15, BU folds, SB calls $0.13, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.50) Q:diamond: , 6:diamond: , 6:club: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.15, CO calls $0.15, SB folds.

Turn: ($0.80) 2:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.6, CO calls $0.60.

River: ($2.00) A:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.88 (All-In), CO calls $1.88.

Final Pot: $5.76

Hero shows (Ah Qh)
      CO shows three-of-a-kind, sixes (9h 6h)

CO wins with three-of-a-kind, sixes (9h 6h)

Same here. I think I properly raised before the flop but the guy entered with 96s ? why would he ? is he that good or he is just a lucky one ?

The third one I sucked my own so no my BR is around 44 (was 52) 90 hands ago ?

What am I doing wrong? any advice is welcomed.
    • utenosmelynas
      utenosmelynas
      Bronze
      @ 1st hand: wtf u trying to do against utg donk who wont fold ? u raise 55's oop ? with that reason? never do it. never. just call and stack him if you hit your set. if not just let it go, specially on nl5!

@ 2nd hand: bet biiger on flop, you facing 2 opponents and leting them to catch 2outer,FD or smth becouse i see you ahead very often here. turn bet is ok. river is ok i think on nl5 cos he could have many hands that you beat. but again i repeat: BET BIGER ON FLOP. like 0.4 or smth. and colculate what pot size would be on river if you would have bet flop and river for value.

I see lack of theory in your game.. read, reread, and read articles again. watch videos, ALOT.. if you want to improve your game and buy that car one day :)

And i will repeat one more time that it will be clear to you: LEARN MORE THAN PLAY in micro limits. you have to build strong base if you want to crush tables in future.

Hope I helped, gl :)
    • zealas
      zealas
      Bronze
      Thank you for the comments utenosmelynas.

I tend to read a lot however I am not able to put what I've learned on the tables. I would reveiew again the hands and try to find the theory that explains the mistakes you outlined.

Thank you once again for the comments.

I will be out of poker for two days during the weekend so any updates will be present on Monday.

Have a nice weekend you all and gl on the tables.
    • Bigniux
      Bigniux
      Bronze
      hey, zealas :)

on first hand (T3s) you had two pair, so you don't have to worry about opp having Q. Potting on flop is ok imo, because the board is very drawy and we want to protect our hand. I would still lead the turn and bet ~0,3-0,35$ one of the scare cards hit (KJ, J8 now has a straigh) and we want to get some information on our opponent, also we still have to protect vs draws, JT, QJ will be happy to pay here. If we get raised, then i would fold. And on river, imo you can't fold because you called the turn and 5 :spade: is a blank which didn't complete any draws, so we either still ahead or still behind :)

On other hands you got comments, so i won't say anything. The guy with 96o is definitely not good, as much as i know, every good player on micros plays only for value and 96o is just too weak to play it :)

Good luck at the tables and keep studying hard ;)
    • zealas
      zealas
      Bronze
      It was a long weekend for me so no updates however I have one word to say.

RAIN !!!

First of all I went for a walk in the mountains ... rain. My car got broken ... rain. My car got broken again ... rain.

I decided that it is time to warm miself with some poker and the results ... well they are not perfect but I have to say I am happy with them even though its -0.42$

It is mainly because of my mistakes and here they are.

The good thing however is that I know what the mistakes are, unfortunatelly even though I was aware of them during the hand I couldnt stop myself. It was too tempting. I guess I have to work on my mindset. I have to realize that won money and "not lost money" are actually in the same bankroll.

:spade: Hand 1

Known players:
      Position
      BU

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K:club: , T:club:
      3 folds, BU calls $0.05, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.12) K:spade: , 9:diamond: , 4:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.15, BU calls $0.15.

Turn: ($0.42) A:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.3, BU raises to $0.60, Hero calls $0.30.

River: ($1.62) 5:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.45, Hero calls $0.45.

Final Pot: $2.52

BU shows two-pair, aces and nines (As 9h)
      Hero shows (Kc Tc)

BU wins with two-pair, aces and nines (As 9h)

The ace was so obvious, so obvious ... and still I wanted to check it out. Should have asked more money for the turn. I guess like 0.40$ 0.50$ would have been perfect. Never mind. Point taken.

:spade: Hand 2

Known players:
      Position
      SB
      MP1

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9:spade: , 3:club:
      MP1 calls $0.05, 4 folds, SB calls $0.03, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.15) 7:diamond: , 6:heart: , 4:heart: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks.

Turn: ($0.15) 2:heart: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks.

River: ($0.15) 9:club: (3 players)
      SB bets $0.2, Hero raises to $1.00, MP1 folds, SB calls $0.80.

Final Pot: $2.15

SB shows a flush, king high (Kh Th)
      Hero shows (9s 3c)

SB wins with a flush, king high (Kh Th)

Here I overestimated my TP in the end... I just was not sure that someone would slowplay a flush on the turn.... :f_eek:

Anyway I took the points ... and I would try to make another 150 hands session to see what I have learned.
    • zealas
      zealas
      Bronze
      YUPEEEEE !!!

The largest pot I've ever won.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      UTG2:
      $4.63
      Hero:
      $3.14
      CO:
      $5.18

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A:heart: , A:diamond:
      UTG2 calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.30, 2 folds, CO raises to $0.90, 3 folds, UTG2 calls $0.85, Hero raises to $3.14 (All-In), CO calls $2.24, UTG2 calls $2.24.

Flop: ($9.49) A:club: , Q:spade: , 2:spade: (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, CO checks.

Turn: ($9.49) J:heart: (2 players)
      UTG2 checks, CO checks.

River: ($9.49) 7:spade: (3 players)
      UTG2 checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: $9.49

UTG2 shows (Th Tc)
      Hero shows three-of-a-kind, aces (Ah Ad)
      CO shows (Kh Ks)

Hero wins with three-of-a-kind, aces (Ah Ad)

I wish everyone the same.
    • zealas
      zealas
      Bronze
      Just a small update. Last night I played like 350 hands 4 tabling and I was totally owned. I lost 11$ and what is even worse is that I was really really playing bad. A lot of mistakes. Somehow I cannot sacrifice an open raise of 4BB when I get reraised. :f_frown: :f_frown: :f_frown:

I will try different approach today to see what will happen. Hope that I will not have to deposit soon :f_mad:
    • mrkaktus
      mrkaktus
      Bronze
      stick to BRM imo. move to NL2 and go back to NL5 when you have about 20BI (100 USD). its not so hard to get there, you just need to put some volume and you ll be moving up quite quickly. another thing - you dont have to take some advanced lines at these limits. just hit your TP good kicker/top kicker or better and go for 3 streets of value (bet/bet/bet). ofc youll be outdrawn sometimes but at NL2/NL5 thats all you need to do to be winning player.
      and last thing about calling reraises PF - you should see it in this way - ok i am going to lose 4BB but if I call with some shitty hand, Ill lose at least 8 more (or any other amount of which the villain reraises) and even more if you hit fe TP with mediocre kicker. those are spots where you can lose much and win little. add me on skype if you want and we may discuss it further :)

skype name: basskaktus

gl
    • zealas
      zealas
      Bronze
      Time for update.

I know its been some time no see but I've tried to play a bit and the results are as follows:

After the terrible beats I had mrkaktus contact me over skype and gave me some advices.

Generally what I changed in my game was that I tightened my range down to 12 15% even though I think 12% is better. Now when grinding on 4 tables with that tight range it is easy and I am not making expensive mistakes... well not much.

Another thing I found is CBet. I found out that even with air on NL2 CBeting is really paying. Whenever someone pays the line is just check/fold if I have the air.

Now I am really happy with my game and I am trying to make at least 250 hands a day...I know it is not that much at all however I am still missing the correct mindset. I hope things will fix soon.

And last I would like to say one big "THANK YOU" to mrkaktus. He indeed helped me a lot to improve my game.
    • mrkaktus
      mrkaktus
      Bronze
      ur welcome :) happy that have helped :)
    • zealas
      zealas
      Bronze
      A small update

I haven't played much during the weekend however I've multitabled 6 tables and found out that I have more tighter range on 6 tables and I tend to make less mistakes so from now I would grind on 6 tables.

A nice hand yesterday.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $1.95
      SB (Hero):
      $1.82
      BB:
      $5.00
      UTG2:
      $2.03
      MP1:
      $0.98
      MP2:
      $0.71
      MP3:
      $2.20
      CO:
      $3.71

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9, A.
      UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0.02, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.02, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BB folds, MP1 calls $0.06, MP3 calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.26) 9, A, 9 (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP3 bets $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, MP1 folds.

Turn: ($0.46) 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $2.02(All-In), Hero calls $1.64.

River: ($4.12) K (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.12.
      Results follow:

Hero shows four of a kind, nines(9 A).
      MP3 shows a full-house, nines full of kings(T K).

Hero wins with four of a kind, nines(9 A).

A piece of good news. From now on I would have more time to grind and I hope to reach 10k hands per month.
    • zealas
      zealas
      Bronze
      I now know what TILT is.

I've lost 8BIs and after the analysis I found out that I was really playing stupid sometimes.

I've tried to remove the mistakes from the winnings and I am still -2BIs which means that I had absolutely no luck today.

3hours = -16$ FML :f_cry:

GOOD NEWS !!! I still 11BIs to lose
    • zealas
      zealas
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

Is there anyone out there who has beaten NL2 FR ?!!?!?!?!!?

Is it only me that is such a noob or what ? whenever I decide to go all-in there are all kind of hands against me from 82o to AA what can I do ?!

Any advices are welcome. I really consider switching to NL2 SH. I just cant seem to find a way to beat this game. I just keep losing, no matter what type I choose to play.
    • zealas
      zealas
      Bronze
      So a short update.

:diamond: During the weekend I played something around 2300 hands and the result is -3,50$ which in my opinion is not that bad. I think I got the correct truck. I will find out these days.

Today was a really nice day and I made +2BIs HURAAAI

I want an advice on that hand however:

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $1.74
      BU:
      $4.78

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:heart: , A:spade:
      5 folds, BU raises to $0.06, Hero raises to $0.18, BB folds, BU calls $0.12.

Flop: ($0.38) Q:heart: , J:club: , 2:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.16, BU raises to $0.70, Hero raises to $1.56 (All-In), BU calls $0.86.

Turn: ($3.50) 8:diamond:
      River: ($3.50) 5:spade: (2 players)

Final Pot: $3.50

BU shows three-of-a-kind, deuces (2s 2c)
      Hero shows (Ah As)

BU wins with three-of-a-kind, deuces (2s 2c)

What was I supposed to do ? :f_cry:

:diamond: In general I made my first 10K hands in my poker career and the result is:
      :spade: NL2 FR
      Hands: 9010
      Total: -11,81
      BB/100: -6,55

:spade: NL5 FR
      Hands: 980
      Total: -6,84$
      BB/100: -14

:spade: NL10 FR heavily tilted decided that NL10 would be great for my bankroll
      Hands: 20
      Total: -5$
      BB/100: -250

So this is it I hope I would perform better in the next 10K hands
    • zealas
      zealas
      Bronze
      A small update.

Lately the things are going rather well.
      :diamond: Reduced the number of tables to 3.
      :diamond: Won 4BIs (didnt lose any)
      :diamond: Tightened my range so I am now playing something like 15/13
      :diamond: I think I improved my postflop skills after viewing several of hasenbraten's videos (mainly about +EV) moves
      :diamond: I like to learn new strategies and lines
      :diamond: I hope I will manage to keep on the good track.
    • zealas
      zealas
      Bronze
      Hei guys,

If everyone out there reads this blog please, please explain me this.

What the heck I did wrong ?

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2.33
      MP1:
      $1.83
      MP3:
      $2.06

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:spade: , A:diamond:
      MP1 calls $0.02, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.02, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.12, BB folds, MP1 calls $0.10, MP3 calls $0.10.

Flop: ($0.38) 6:club: , 4:club: , 3:diamond: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.38, MP1 calls $0.38, MP3 calls $0.38.

Turn: ($1.52) K:heart: (3 players)
      Hero bets $1.83 (All-In), MP1 calls $1.33 (All-In), MP3 calls $1.56 (All-In), Hero gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

River: ($5.97) 9:heart: (3 players)

Final Pot: $5.97

MP1 shows a straight, six high (5s 2d)
      MP3 shows (Ac 7c)
      Hero shows a pair of aces (As Ad)

MP1 wins with a straight, six high (5s 2d)
    • DustyMonk
      DustyMonk
      Bronze
      You didn't do much wrong.

Preflop you might want to raise a bit more than the usual 4BB+1BB per limper as you are in the SB and going to be oop. Probably 5BB+1BB per limper ($0.14 in this case). That said, these fish would probably still have called you.

Potting the flop is ok because the flop is very wet and you don't want to give any draws odds to call though $0.30 would probably be sufficent.

Turn card is a blank so you want to be value betting probably 2/3 pot. Given pot-size and stack sizes maybe 1/2 pot. As it happens they both called your shove. If you'd only bet 3/4 pot on the flop a 1/2 pot or 2/3 pot bet on the turn would be more reasonable and give your opponents an opportunity to 3-bet. So you could b/f turn.

So you might have been able to save yourself $1, though I doubt you could lay down those AA. So the upshot is you got sucked out. It happens.
    • zealas
      zealas
      Bronze
      Thank you DustyMonk. At least some relief :)