How long did it take you to climb stakes?

• ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hi all i know its different for every person but i just want a general idea im not planning to rush it i want to really learn the game this time instead of thinking im better than the micros learnt that lesson the hard way lol.

Anyway starting at nl2 and playing around work and play time and planning a wedding hopefuly on average ill play and study for 4-6 hours a day.

How long would it take for me to move up to say NL25 with proper BRM?

Or maybe a better question would be how long did it take some of you to move from NL2 to NL25/50. I know its going to take me a long time im just curious
  • 30 replies
    • peche025
      peche025
      Bronze
      I think it really depends on the number of hands you will play/month. But I'd say within 6 months is doable, are you playing FR or SH?
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      ooo yeh forgot to mention hands didnt i.

Ill be playing just 4 tables at a time to start with cos i havent played for bout 4 months makes me dizzy when i look at any more but will add more soon.

Im playing full ring and will be for the forseeable future keep it as simple as i can for a couple of months.

Also when is a good time to leave a table? Does strategy change alot if you win a couple of stacks and are playing deep? totaly noob question?
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi External,

Mine is a little difficult to say as I've played online for many years now, but mainly recreationally (read: Fish :f_grin: ). In terms of the "playing properly" or at least "playing a much better game" since being a member of PokerStrategy, I took the decision to move up slowly, being over-rolled each time.

I moved up a couple of times on sss over the course of a year I guess it was before switching to bss and then eventually returning to my first love which is sng's and mtt's. I've never been a great cash game player, always getting bored and donking around too much.

Sng's are a whole different matter and I moved up a lot quicker but still overrolled on each occasion.

Bart
    • jakosamlud
      jakosamlud
      Bronze
      I started playing seriously 05.02.2010 on NL2 with 60$~ BR. Right now I'm playing NL25. So it took me exactly 5 months to move from NL2 to NL25. But I'm rarely studying, I was really bad when I started at NL2, and I had huge problems with ego because I played one video game competitively. So I believe you can do it in 4 months if you are good enough to beat nl2 right now...

Edit: I was on a trip for 24 days, so it took me 4~ months to move from NL2 to NL25. This means you can do it in 3, definitely.
    • peche025
      peche025
      Bronze
      ExternalUseOnly, I play NL50 FR, add me on skype if you like and I'll try help you out a little, either a sweat/looking at problem hands or something.
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      climbing stakes is different for each variant imo. dont expect an MTT player to climb at the same pace as a 6max cash player etc.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      Insanely fast
    • utenosmelynas
      utenosmelynas
      Bronze
      The better question might be how many hands it took to climb the stakes, cos one can play 50k hands/month and climb from nl2 to nl25 in one month and the other can play 10k hands/month and climb from nl2 to nl25 in 5 months :) It depends on how many hands you play and how many effort you put in learning :)
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      thanks for replies everyone,

peche that would be great, whats ur skype? the same as ur user on here?? ill add you tomorrow probably
    • peche025
      peche025
      Bronze
      you guessed it ;)
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      I think it depends very much on how much you are studying poker.
      I registered here 04.01.2009 so from then I can say I play poker seriuosly. And I am still not sure if I could beat NL10. The main problem probably is that I study to little. Totaly played 30133 hands on up to NL10 and have only ~0.6 bb/100 hands shame on me :D I see so much loose fishes but I don't take money from them. On the other hand - it is good for a beginner to at least be winning :)
    • ladman
      ladman
      Bronze
      imo good mtt'ers climb the stakes much quicker at low levels into mid stakes
    • gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      which time?

I've moved up and down in stakes several times. I recently climbed from NL5 to NL25 in one month - one or two tabling, but I couldn't have done that at the start. Now that I did it, I think I could do it again and again which is important, because it is possible with variance to have really huge swings (especially shorthanded)

If I didn't move down at the right time I would have taken longer to move up than I did. This has happened several times until I learned my lesson.

The more you study and apply the knowledge the faster you will move up. The better decisions you are able to make the faster it will go.

Also the more aggressive your BRM (taking shots and moving down quickly should you lose) makes a lot of difference. At microlimits I think it's more worth taking shots if you are crushing your limit than at higher limits. People tend to be more conservative with their BRM as they get higher in the limits.

I think it's best to play one table until you can really improve your hand reading skills. Putting opponents on ranges is a very important skill for moving up, which i find is difficult to do when multitabling at the beginning of my career.

On average for me it takes about three times as long to climb stakes as it does to drop down. Also with bonuses/rakeback it goes a bit faster.

hope this helps. gl.
    • peche025
      peche025
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gavinonymous
      which time?

I've moved up and down in stakes several times. I recently climbed from NL5 to NL25 in one month - one or two tabling, but I couldn't have done that at the start. Now that I did it, I think I could do it again and again which is important, because it is possible with variance to have really huge swings (especially shorthanded)

If I didn't move down at the right time I would have taken longer to move up than I did. This has happened several times until I learned my lesson.

The more you study and apply the knowledge the faster you will move up. The better decisions you are able to make the faster it will go.

Also the more aggressive your BRM (taking shots and moving down quickly should you lose) makes a lot of difference. At microlimits I think it's more worth taking shots if you are crushing your limit than at higher limits. People tend to be more conservative with their BRM as they get higher in the limits.

I think it's best to play one table until you can really improve your hand reading skills. Putting opponents on ranges is a very important skill for moving up, which i find is difficult to do when multitabling at the beginning of my career.

On average for me it takes about three times as long to climb stakes as it does to drop down. Also with bonuses/rakeback it goes a bit faster.

hope this helps. gl.
      very solid advise IMO
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      @gav. I have studied alot before but like I said I thought I was better than the lowest stakes players nd I just didn't put it into practise I've re read bronze tho and this time I'm sticking to the strategy and I'm pretty confident that I'll quickly move through nl2 and 5

@peche I will add you on skype if I ever get my computer back from the fiancé

I'm not using any tracking software ATM either is it worth using it for nl2? Do I need it for hand evaluation and will elephant do the trick for now?
    • peche025
      peche025
      Bronze
      I've never used elephant but I think it is fine and will do the job just fine, if your only playing 4 or less tables you should be able to play fine without one, also it's NL2 I'm not sure anyone ever knows what a HUD is :D
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      I use HUD on micro limits. Why don't use if I can use. You don't have to see how oponents play every hand to have a read - you just look at the stats :)
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      I joined pokerstrategy a year ago. My first attempt with SSS got me to NL100 in just over 3 months. I have since then busted 3 times and am on my fourth attempt. Follow BRM! Don't do what I did! I have had to use points, freerolls and rakeback to start again each time and it is very tedious and difficult. You're taking a very good approach by planning a slow and steady climb. I also am playing 4 tables without a HUD right now. I play approximately 10-15 hours per week and it has taken me almost 4 months to get from $0 to $450. Now that I'm at NL10 I feel that a HUD/tracker would be beneficial. At NL2/NL5 I didn't find it necessary. With your volume and good strategy and BRM I think you could get to NL25 in 3-4 months. With the right bonuses and promotions you could even get there faster.

Good luck
    • Gu911
      Gu911
      Bronze
      When you guys say "I went from NL2 to NL25 in x months" do you mean you reached enough BR to play comfortably at NL25 or do you mean actually playing there steadily with a positive non-zero winrate?