what do you think about poker calculators?

• shogun2313
      shogun2313
      Bronze
      hi there,

i recently ran across a program that automatically connects to your poker software and calculates outs, winning probabilities and pot odds.

so do you think that this cheating, or do you think this is a legit way to gain an advantage over an opponent?

personally i don't have think that this is cheating or unfair, cause everybody can get one of these calculators if they want. Furthermore you can also just do the math in your head and the software just saves you some time.

I also have another question, since i am quite new to this forum and poker in general: how important is it to keep track of your hands, and what is the best program to do so? also what other programs are recommended to assist your play? for info: i play on partypoker at NL 0.05/0.1

cheers
  • 4 replies
    • Bigniux
      Bigniux
      Bronze
      Hey there,

as far as i know, calculators are allowed on most of the sites. But to make it clear, you should ask Partypoker support if the program you use is prohibited or not :)

Tracking softwares are useful for analysing your game. You can use Hold'em Manager or Poker Tracker 3. They both have trial versions. There are other tracking programs, but these two are most popular ;)
    • MichaelGotAA
      MichaelGotAA
      Bronze
      I tried a couple of different poker calculators when i first started playing & found them to be a waste of time. I also believe using them will hinder your progress as a poker player. Your much better of using tracking software like Holdem Mangager or Poker Traker 3. Apart from the stat hud, its brilliant for analzing your play.
    • shogun2313
      shogun2313
      Bronze
      ok thank you for your replies. i checked this holdem manager out and it's quite expensive unless i create a new poker account somewhere i read about the elephant software of this site. is that a good alternative, or should i rather make the investment into the holdem manager?
    • Bigniux
      Bigniux
      Bronze
      if you don't want to invest money, than you can use elephant. I haven't used it a lot, something wasn't working for me :) And later on, when you'll have some winnings you will be able to purchase Hold'em Manager(HEM) if you like it more than elephant