Staight nuts with a dangerous board

• kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      I felt the flush here but I didn't manage to fold my nuts but the most important question is how I should play this hand all cross the streets?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 0 Tournament, 50/100 Blinds 10 Ante (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

saw flop

MP2 (t965)
      MP3 (t5970)
      CO (t910)
      Button (t4310)
      SB (t915)
      BB (t1125)
      Hero (UTG) (t8795)
      UTG+1 (t7460)
      MP1 (t970)

Hero's M: 36.65

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q, K
      Hero bets t200, UTG+1 calls t200, 7 folds

Flop: (t640) 8, 2, 10 (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG+1 checks

Turn: (t640) A (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG+1 bets t100, Hero calls t100

River: (t840) J (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG+1 bets t300, Hero raises to t1900, UTG+1 raises to t5000, Hero raises to t8485 (All-In), UTG+1 calls t2150 (All-In)

Total pot: t15140
      Main pot: t15140 between Hero and UTG+1, won by UTG+1

Thx
  • 5 replies
    • Tulabas
      Tulabas
      Bronze
      Turn is a clear fold
    • Murn90
      Murn90
      Bronze
      I would have played it completely different.
      2.5x pre if you open this utg depending on table.
      c-bet versus one opponent.
      Check/fold turn
      and if you call that min bet, just check/call the small bet on river.
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kiromanAAKK
      I felt the flush here but I didn't manage to fold my nuts

Thx
      What nuts? A straight with a potential flush out there!!!

I appreciate that you didn't want to discuss the river but to my mind this is the most important part.

Blinds are 50/100 so you are not deep into this tournament so why commit suicide!!

You are either well ahead or well behind and as I see it you had at least 4 options (Win/Loss Position in brackets)

Option 1 Check/Call
      Defensive but either way keeps you well in the tournament. And his mini-raise gave you the chance to call cheaply.
      (Win 10025 Lose 7985)

Options 2 Check/Raise/Fold
      More aggressive, but if you get a raise you know you are beaten and a call is unlikely, so more chance that you are just wasting chips!
      (Win 10025 Lose 6085)

Option 3 Check/Raise/Re-raise all in
      (Win 16475 Lose 1375)

Or my personal favourite:

Option 4 Bet
      You need information - are you ahead or behind? Look at it from his position it is a wet board possible straight, possible flush - 2 pairs looks a weak hand, even trips could be in trouble. Yes he might try and bluff, but generally he is only going raise a bet if he has the flush.

So be aggressive - bet 3/4 610 - if he raises fold and wait for the next good hand!!

Villain Folds
      (Win 9725)

Villain Calls
      (Win 10335 Lose 7675)

Villain Re-raise
      (Lose 7675)

Have to say poor play by you :evil:
    • curnow
      curnow
      Bronze
      would fold this preflop , dont like the min bet at all , its gives good odds for players to call this

on river would just call this , if you are going to reraise here then 900 would be enough & fold to a shove
    • Tiltberger
      Tiltberger
      Bronze
      I think if the table is tight an openraise with kqs is fine from utg. As played against 1 opponent you should. def. cbet/fold there. You just have khigh and if you don't have the read that your opponent is floating often or raising a lot of cbets you should def. try to win the pot with a cbet.
      As played I don't think its really profitable to call the minbet on the turn. You have to discount the jack :spade: and I'm not sure if you can stack off villain often enough in this spot with non :spade: j on the river.

on this kind of river you have to think about what kind of hands would call your reraise. Maybe 2pair, straights and lower flushes. But you raise to 1900 here. Thats a lot because you nearly committed yourself to the pot.

I tend to bet the river with 500 chips and call a smallish raise from my opponent.
      if he makes the massive overship you can fold kq there because you just beat pure bluffs -> straight would call often or raise smaller...