Free $50 (Help Clearing Bonus)

• frankl3tank
      frankl3tank
      Bronze
      Hello, (playing at Party Poker)

I should receive my $50 starting capital shortly as I have been approved / ID check verified. (Thanks PokerStrategy! Very kind of you.)

Now, I have a few questions about clearing the 100 point bonus within 90 days.

$50 is an excellent bankroll to start playing 2NL Hold'em. From searching throughout the forums I gather it is very hard to make points this way however. Is this true?

If I play 4 tables of 2NL for 4-6 hours 5 x a week, will I clear my bonus? And what will happen if I don't? Let's say I am short (only have 40-50 points) and 65-75 dollars total. Will I keep the money I made OVER the 50, or will PartyPoker take everything out of my account (50 + whatever points/cash I've made on top of that)?

Obviously, I want to clear the 100 points bonus so that I can keep everything but I don't want to play out of my bankroll. I now (finally after playing and losing on FullTilt) understand that BRM is crucial to not going broke.

I do enjoy micro SNGs but the variance is too risky and I would much prefer to play within my bankroll.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to playing some poker! :)

frank
  • 8 replies
    • SickAtHome
      SickAtHome
      Bronze
      I can say that the micro SNGs at Party are really soft, but the rake is rather high.

If you have $75 in your account but only 99 party points, you keep only what you make, so $25. Not too about the NL2 playing vs points though.

Good luck! (I'm clearing $50 too, got 22 PP done so far)
    • oblitron
      oblitron
      Bronze
      frankl3tank, hello and welcome!

First of all, your main focus right now should be to improve your game as much as possible, rather than gathering PartyPoints. Even if you miss the bonus deadline, if you actually play well you will earn it back tenfold in the long run.

Having said that, I totally understand how you feel. If I were in your shoes, what I would do is try Fixed Limit, as it's pretty soft at Party. Read the Basic and Bronze strategy articles and start at the lower limits. If you play a bit every day, you will get Silver status in about 10 days, so you can read the Silver ones as well and, if you're starting to feel comfortable, move up a limit. I think this should give you plenty of time to learn AND clear the bonus at the same time.

Don't play at limits you're not comfortable with and don't play when you're not in the right frame of mind (i.e. when you're tired, upset, etc.), even if the bonus deadline is looming.
    • frankl3tank
      frankl3tank
      Bronze
      Thank you very much for your replies.

I feel a bit better knowing that I will keep any money above $50 if I don’t reach the bonus in time. This way I can concentrate on my game while saying within my bankroll limits.

I’ll let you guys know how I do.

Cheers,
      F.
    • HannesZ
      HannesZ
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hello frankl3tank,

Welcome to the forums.

For me it looks like you have a good understanding already about bankroll management. Use it also when you are on the tables and as oblitron already wrote try to focus on improving your game.

If you fail to collect the 100 PartyPoints in the allotted time, you will lose the $50 starting capital, but you can keep what you have won.

If you have further questions, do not hesitate in our forums.

Good luck on PartyPoker,
      Hannes
    • frankl3tank
      frankl3tank
      Bronze
      Thank you very much, you guys have been very kind. Just got my $50 deposit and won my first 0.30 cents! haha.

I'll let you know how I'm doing in a week or so.
    • HannesZ
      HannesZ
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Keep us updated about your poker career.

Good luck on the tables,
      Hannes
    • frankl3tank
      frankl3tank
      Bronze
      Just thought I'd keep you updated on how I'm doing on the tables.

It's been about 4-days with my $50 capital.

I started out playing 3+ tables of 2NL and found this was too much for me to handle. I know it's easy for some but I tend to make stupid calls or miss hands when I do this. Anyway, after I limited myself to 2 tables or less, my game improved very much.

I have been playing tight (yet aggressive when I hit a good hand) and it has been working. I managed to make 8$ profit (and 3 Party Poker points). I'm trying to say to myself that if I lose a buy-in (of up to $2) I will walk away for the day or take a good rest.

Unfortunately these things are easier said than done. I get home yesterday and sit down with the intention of playing a few tables and bringing my BR up to $60. Early in my session I hit KK and 3-bet in mid-position. Halfway through the hand I realize I am beat but continue to play regardless. I found out at the showdown I was right and is showed AA. After this I tell myself to walk away but just can't and bang--I'm on tilt. I end up losing the $8 and somehow stopped myself from digging myself into an even deeper hole. I'm back to my original $50 bankroll.

I realized what I did wrong and I intend on fixing this. Hopefully I can grind my way back to what I had but for now I'm just going to try and focus.

Good thing is I’m not down (yet) and despite yesterday’s results I'm doing pretty good.

I'll keep you all updated on my progress!

Good luck at the tables,

F
    • HannesZ
      HannesZ
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey,

Thanks for your update.

If you think you are on tilt, you should immediately quit and close all tables. Otherwise you lose all your hard earned money. :(

Do not forget to post hands in our hand evaluation boards. This will improve your game a lot:
      Hand Evaluations BSS until 0.05/0.10

Good luck on PartyPoker,
      Hannes