What does an open overbet preflop mean?weak or strong?

• jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      I'm playing NL10 BSS at FullTilt. I keep finding myself in a weird situation. Villain will open raise for 100bb+. I have no idea what this means or why anyone would do this. For example villain in MP shoves for 150bb and all other players fold to me in the bb with AKs. Most of the time it's an obvious fold but sometimes I have a hand. What should my calling range be? So far I called with JJ+ and I've ran into a wide range of hands from 83o to AA. I can't make any sense of this. Any thoughts, opinions or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
  • 4 replies
    • cojonel
      cojonel
      Global
      most of the time youll see his top range...sometimes if you can recognize a hand he lost to 3-2 outers he may be tilted...but often you'll see kk or aa! Gl
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      I disagree completley. In generally speaking this sized bet = weakeness. But it'd depend on the player. Is he just randomly doing it from time to time? Or is he doing it fairly frequently? If its the later i'd call with 10-10+ & AQ+ sometimes calling wider (99+ & AJ+).

Generally, the less frequently a player does it the tighter your calling range. The more frequently, the wider it should be.
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      I disagree completley.

+1111. Open shove AA-KK? You must be kidding. I usually see people do that with 66-99 or AJ-AQ - hands that are hard to play for fish.
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Thanks for the input everyone. I need to get my PT3 HUD working asap. I haven't been able to run into any players regularly doing this it's just random players that I don't have notes on. I think I've been playing too conservatively against these bets. I think I'll open my range a little and see what happens. I think having stats on the player is all I'm missing.

Thanks