beginner help

• matusko
      matusko
      Coach
      Coach
      Hi,
      Im playing on the lowest limit for two weeks now(didnt even know how to play poker before), have made $25 already. Im trying hard to get better(have read all the bronze and silver articles on ps and crushing NL50 and also use pokertracker). Despite I have a few beginner questions, would be glad if anyone experienced would help.

1. When I have hands like KQo, KJo, QJo on the blinds and somebody from middle position raises(lets say hes unkown) is this hand strong enough for a 3-bet? I dont really want to call because if I miss the flop opponent just C-bets and Im forced to instafold.

2. How strong is TT? again how I play this hand is I 3bet and if i get 4betted I fold(preflop) is that the right way to play againt unknowns?

3. My pokertracker has a stat called AF(ag. factor) I have no clue what is a "normal" number and what amount of AF means REALLY AGRESIVE

Thaks a lot for any help,

Matusko3
  • 6 replies
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Playing the micro stakes you should be learning 3 things.
      1-patience/discipline
      2-Bank Roll Management
      3-ABC poker

Until you move up from NL2 just follow the starting hand charts supplied in the strategy guides. No need for anything fancy at NL2. Light 3-betting,floating,check-raising will all have their place in the future. Stick to ABC poker and value betting for now.
    • Helipacter
      Helipacter
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jonnyquest
      1-patience/discipline
      2-Bank Roll Management
      3-ABC poker

Until you move up from NL2 just follow the starting hand charts supplied in the strategy guides. No need for anything fancy at NL2. Light 3-betting,floating,check-raising will all have their place in the future. Stick to ABC poker and value betting for now.
      +1 with this - you'll be amazed at how quickly the money make at the beginning goes when you hit a downturn! When that happens, don't panic and try to make the money back either.

The SHC should be your bible until you know it by heart.

With aggression you should be aiming for between 1.5 and 2.2 - if anyone you're playing against has an AF less than say 1.2 then they're a calling station.
    • matusko
      matusko
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by jonnyquest
      1-patience/discipline
      2-Bank Roll Management
      3-ABC poker

arogancy is not what i was looking for but thx anyway
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Originally posted by matusko

arogancy is not what i was looking for but thx anyway
      Sorry if you've misinterpreted me. I was genuinely trying to help you and certainly not trying to offend you. I was just stating a few general things that I learned while playing NL2. If you want specific answers to your questions you'll find great advice if you post hands in the evaluation forum. You may also want to post in the strategy forum. The answers you receive here in the beginners forum are probably not what you're looking for. Hope you find the answers you were looking for.

Good luck
    • HannesZ
      HannesZ
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hello matusko,

Welcome to PokerStrategy.com

You cannot really answer your questions in general. If you have some hands you should post them in our hand evaluation board, where our hand judges will tell you what is the best.

It depends too much on villian and his play.

But I can answer your questions about AF:
      The AF (Aggression Factor) is a measure of a player's aggression, either in a particular betting round or over all betting rounds. It is calculated as follows:

AF = (num. bets + num. raises) / num. calls

As you can see, this value will be higher the more a player takes the initiative and bets or raises, instead of just calling opposing bets. For example, if a player with a low AF begins to bet, then one can surmise that his hand is truly strong.

Good luck an the tables,
      Hannes
    • matusko
      matusko
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by HannesZ
      Hello matusko,

Welcome to PokerStrategy.com

You cannot really answer your questions in general. If you have some hands you should post them in our hand evaluation board, where our hand judges will tell you what is the best.

It depends too much on villian and his play.

But I can answer your questions about AF:
      The AF (Aggression Factor) is a measure of a player's aggression, either in a particular betting round or over all betting rounds. It is calculated as follows:

AF = (num. bets + num. raises) / num. calls

As you can see, this value will be higher the more a player takes the initiative and bets or raises, instead of just calling opposing bets. For example, if a player with a low AF begins to bet, then one can surmise that his hand is truly strong.

Good luck an the tables,
      Hannes
      thank a lot this is helpfull