[NL2-NL10] NL10 88 on BU facing squeeze

• gavinonymous
      gavinonymous
      Bronze
      villain is agressive tag makes moves and likes to 3bet squeeze from the blinds (no hud)

Play hand

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $0.95
      MP3:
      $10.86
      CO:
      $15.24
      BU (Hero):
      $12.46
      SB:
      $19.47
      BB:
      $10.42

Preflop: Hero is BU with 8, 8.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, SB calls $0.25, BB raises to $1.50, Hero calls $1.20, SB folds.

I think I might fold a low pocket but 88 is ok if I think hes' 3betting light?

Flop: ($3.3) 5, 5, T (2 players)
      BB bets $2.00, Hero raises to $10.96(All-In)

I don't think he hit anything and a raise is committing so I shove. It's ok?
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Hard to say without knowing exactly how far villain is willing to go with his bluffs.

Easiest solution is to shove on him preflop since 88 will hate many flops. If he's squeezing as light as you say he is, it'll be profitable even if you're up against a TT+/AK range when called.

Toughest solution is to call preflop and blindly call down postflop unless the flop is atrocious for your hand, figuring he's so insane he'll always have enough bluffs to warrant you calling down for value.

Intermediate solution is what you did, call to let him throw out a c-bet and then "shut him down" to prevent the board becoming ugly and him outdrawing you with his bluffs. You're still jamming over around $6 more to make sure you don't see a turn, so unless he's willing to call it off with stuff like AK/77 it's no surprise if you're behind when called.

Whatever fits villain's aggression level best.

Hope it helps.
    • generals007
      generals007
      Bronze
      If I can throw a word in:

I'd basically never want to see a flop w/ 88 on that limit. You're in position, but on a low flop or a flop with only one high card you will bet and call your a$$ off with you 88 even vs a high pocket pair and pay him off for doing those squeeze moves now and then and on a high flop you basically always have to fold, even if he doesn't have squat.

So, my solution would be to
      - shove allin pf if he does squeeze whenever he gets the chance to or the similar, or
      - fold, if he is well balanced .

I'd actually go with the second version on this limit. A thinking TAG there is not usual, and you'll either get a better spot or you should leave the table and look for another one. You can afford the 30 cents you lose to this one good player and still play very profitably.

I'd also shut down on my openraises, if he likes to squeeze, with hands that you can't stand a 3bet with. This range might then greatly differ from the one in the Chart, but you can then basically always 4bet (either as bluff with an acceptable hand or with a monster) and have him shut down on his bluff squeezes too.

gen