[NL2-NL10] NL10 : KQ on an ugly board

• SonicXT
      Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)        

0.05/0.10 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q:heart: , K:spade:
      UTG raises to $0.20, 5 folds, Hero calls $0.20, 3 folds.

Flop: ($0.55) Q:diamond: , J:diamond: , 9:diamond: (2 players)
      UTG bets $0.30, Hero raises to $2.05 (All-In), UTG calls $1.75.

Turn: ($4.65) Q:spade:
      River: ($4.65) 6:club:

Final Pot: $4.65

Results follow (highlight to see):
      UTG shows [ Tc, Kh ] a straight Nine to King
      Hero shows [ Qh, Ks ] three of a kind, Queens
      UTG wins $4.42 USD with a straight, Nine to King.

Did I make a mistake going all-in or was it the right thing to do to protect my top pair second kicker against possible draws ?
      I keep losing money on SSS :(

I only called the minraise because he was doing it 50 % of the time. I had him dominated anyway preflop.
  • 2 replies
    • karlo123
      Preflop you should Raise or fold. We never call a hand. So you wouldn´t come in this trouble situation. If you have raised you can go allin. So its difficult but here you had to go allin. You have an Top Pair and Outs for the straight. Your opponent can hold for example a Flushdraw or straightdraw. Also he can hold a Pair you will win against.
    • SonicXT
      Yes, I know the preflop play was a bit off. I had a bit of doubt because on the one hand he was minraising all the time preflop so I couldn't fold KQ to his raise and on the other hand I didn't feel my hand was strong enough to risk 70-90c or 40 % of my stack. I chose the midway option and called, wrongfully so.

I was only wondering about the postflop play on that kind of a board, in case I should have a similar situation with correct preflop play in the future :D
      Thanks for the fast answer :)