One BR or Multiple BRs?

• Fagin
      Like many players here (I guess) I have money in accounts at more than one poker site.

Currently I treat each account as a seperate BR. As I play by a fairly conservative BRM, I will only play at a level on site A if my BR on that site allows. This is despite having perhaps 3-4 times that BR on site B which allows me to play at a higher level on site B.

If I was to treat all of my accounts as one BR I could perhaps move up a level even on the site where I play the highest.

I don't plan to change how I do things as it allows me to gradually get used to the different play on a new site before I look to play at higher levels. There is also a certain 'comfort' factor involved - I would not be comfortable to see myself putting 30% of my roll on site A on one table or into one tourney even if for my combined roll it would only be 0.5% of my total.

I am interested however in how others here treat their BR(s). Do you treat them all as one BR or as completely seperate BRs?
  • 6 replies
    • PocketAcesJohn
      I only play on 2 sites (Carbon Poker & Full-Tilt). It doesnt really matter what site some of your BR is on because it's still part of your poker bankroll, so it should all be included as one BR.

You could however keep seperate bankrolls for Hold'em and Omaha though, possibley even using a site for hold'em and a site for omaha.
    • EagleStar88
      Hi Fagin,

As with all BRM, it's a question of risk/reward. By splitting your total funds between many different platforms and using a conservative BRM on each, you are spreading the risk of losing everything much more than using a single BRM on total available funds.
      If you were unlucky to lose one BR on a platform, you would still have the others to build up from. You wouldn't perhaps progress as quickly as if you combined funds though, but that's the trade off for less risk.

I also use a separate BRM on each separate platform, although to be honest I tend to have the majority of funds in just 2x platforms and then the others are for tournaments, satellites to live events, freerolls, general fun etc.

If you were happy to transfer funds between platforms or have additional allocated poker funds available in a bank a/c somewhere, then there's no reason why you couldn't combine them, but I would probably physically combine them before moving up.

Just my own personal view, works for me but others may prefer to do things different.

Best regards,

• Renmerb
      I treat all my roll as one single roll.

I have a bankroll for poker, and no matter where the money is it is still part of the same roll.

If your beating a higher limit on one site, then surely the aim would be to play that limit on all sites. Fair enough, play a lower limit for a period of adjustment, but surely you are missing out on profit/points/rakeback by playing this lower limit.

You just need to ensure you have enough money to cover open tables plus an amount to cover session losses and auto re-buy, and be willing to move some money about if the need arises.
    • i5bet72o
      i personally have most of my "poker" BR in my real life bank and only keep relativly small amounts at any platform
    • Fagin
      Thanks for the replys folks. I guess the logical thing is to treat all my availabe "poker" funds as one BR and play according to that however this seems a little complex with funds on 3 or more sites, a bank acc, some in cash and some further in an online acc, etc.

I am happy to continue the way I am and seem to be doing ok while improving my game as I go. For me the improvement in my game is currently more imprtant than any possible "missed profit/points/rakeback", although as my game improves I will look towards making up for lost oportunties lol.

• BigAl123456
      How do you play on multiple sites? Is it like table selecting except checking all your sites, because Currently I have a BR on Party Poker which is my starting capital + a deposit, $8 on FTT which I use to play 1 MTT a week and today I just signed up on 888 for the free $8.