[Video Feedback] NL BSS Building Reads using a HUD

• skolsuper
      Hi guys,

About a month ago I posted a video* of a session review where I played 4 tables of NL100 with no reads and tried to explain which HUD stats become relevant as you gather hands on a new opponent. It was supposed to be the first in a 4 or 5 part series but since then I have been delayed by a month of tournaments in London where I decided to spew off £20k. [ ] That was fun.

*link: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/13263/

Anyway I am going to record part 2 of the video now and to hopefully revive some interest I'm posting this thread to talk about the videos and also post these hands I played with Phil Ivey that I thought it might be fun to analyse:

Level: 500/1000 +100, the level before dinner break on Day 2. Average stack is about 75k I think.

Hand 1: Folded round to me on the button, I'm playing 180k, Ivey is in the bb playing 150k.
      I raise ATo to 2200.
      sb folds.
      Ivey 3bets to 7200.
      I call.

Flop: 235 rainbow
      Ivey bets 8k
      I call

Turn: 8d, puts 2 diamonds down, I have no diamonds.
      Ivey checks
      I bet 13.5k
      Ivey calls

River: 8o
      Ivey checks
      I check
      Ivey shows T5o ftw

Hand 2:

The very next hand, I'm now playing 155kish, Ivey just about covers.
      JP Kelly opens in early position to 2500.
      I call in the cutoff with KhQh.
      Ivey calls, bb calls.

Flop: KsTc6h
      Checks to me, I bet 5300.
      Ivey snap-raises to 18.5k.
      bb and JP Kelly both fold.
      I ???

Reads on villain: He's Phil Ivey
  • 2 replies
    • skolsuper
      Afrika1988 said:

what do you think about check/calling the river with your set 66. no worse hand calls that shove. so i would try to catch a bluff there.

In reference to this hand:

***** Hand History for Game 48385273582 ***** (Poker Stars)
      $100.00 USD NL Texas Hold'em - Thursday, August 19, 03:59:31 ET 2010
      Table Erinome (Real Money)
      Seat 2 is the button
      Seat 1: ppes ( $101.50 USD )
      Seat 2: welle85 ( $101.50 USD )
      Seat 3: skolsuper ( $142.15 USD )
      Seat 4: SredniV ( $103.20 USD )
      Seat 5: lada090 ( $89.40 USD )
      Seat 6: LouisNapSack ( $266.70 USD )
      skolsuper posts small blind [$0.50 USD].
      SredniV posts big blind [$1.00 USD].
      ** Dealing down cards **
      Dealt to skolsuper [ 6c 6s ]
      lada090 folds
      LouisNapSack folds
      ppes raises [$4.00 USD]
      welle85 folds
      skolsuper calls [$3.50 USD]
      SredniV folds
      ** Dealing Flop ** [ 2s, 6h, 7c ]
      skolsuper checks
      ppes bets [$5.00 USD]
      skolsuper calls [$5.00 USD]
      ** Dealing Turn ** [ 9d ]
      skolsuper checks
      ppes bets [$14.00 USD]
      skolsuper raises [$36.00 USD]
      ppes calls [$22.00 USD]
      ** Dealing River ** [ Th ]
      skolsuper bets [$97.15 USD]
      ppes folds
      skolsuper wins $97.15 USD
      skolsuper wins $88.00 USD from main pot

Firstly thanks for commenting, I appreciate the feedback, it's good to know somebody's watching :) . I watched the vid back yesterday and I am surprised I didn't talk more about this river shove as it is quite an interesting spot. I agree with Supeyrio's comment on the hand that I don't like check-calling the river to bluff-catch, our opponent must have had something to call the turn with and I think it's unlikely that he will turn a good made hand into a bluff on the river when he mostly wins by checking back anyway, so I think if I were to check the river I ought to be check-folding.

Then the decision is which is better between check-folding or shoving the river. I think I win the majority of the time either way, when I check the river it mostly goes check-check, but as supeyrio says the river shove works as a merge in that it gives our opponent two ways to make a mistake, by folding a better hand (a higher set) or by hero-calling with worse, whereas checking allows our opponent to play pretty much perfectly (shove better, check worse). However, I think both mistakes will be very rare*. It comes down to the relative rarity of these possibilities compared to how often our opponent has an 8. The fact that he 4x's preflop is the only thing to rule out most 8s from his range, however I think 78 89 A8s and pocket 8s are all very real possibilities (opponent has 28% CO steal) and therefore I don't really like my shove. I think it was mostly born from stubbornness that I recognised that I would have to check-fold and I did not want to be forced to fold a set.

*I think any better hands that aren't a straight would probably shove the turn with the exception of pocket tens, and any worse hands would see the 4-straight on board and be very unlikely to make a hero-call.

NB: Most of the time when you're check-folding something as strong as a set on the river you have to look at the rest of the hand to see if you played it too face up, but in this case I think I played the rest of the hand fine, just the ten is such a dirty river card I really have no other option :( .
    • Flopper8

Really enjoying the series..

Whens the next installment coming out?

Ivey has a set or KT? or just a little bit of madgic!! What happened? Did you Fold?