From counting pennies to money independence

• Efukas
      Efukas
      Bronze
      Hello everyone! I will start my blog from an introduction. My name is Andrius (in English that would be Andrew), I live in Lithuania, I'm 18 years-old (Well, not trully, my b-day is on 29th of February, so I get my real b-day only once in 4 years (if you don't believe me, check the callendar!)). I've known the rules of Texas Hold'Em since I was ~13 years-old, my brother played some online poker for playing money (he doesn't play anymore), but I haven't played it for myself. So, last year, my girlfriend started to play poker on Facebook (ZYNGA!!!) and I wanted to do something together when we were apart, so I just joined her at the table. Back then it was okay, I guess, though I played like an amature (and I was actualy). Later on, me and my friends started to play some live poker from real cash and it got me more into poker! So I played, played, played.. This summer I had a job and when I got my first salary, I decided to give a try at the real money online poker tables. I deposited it in PokerStars. At first ir was horible, I didn't know how to play properly to earn cash (btw my first deposit was 34.5$). As I reached 7$ I figured I don't want to lose everything and started reading Short Stack Strategy (SSS) provided by this site. It really worked, I managed to raise up my bankroll to 50$ and then it started - the up and down swings. For about 2 moths I raise my bankroll to 80$ then i go back to 4$ and it goes and goes.. So last week I figured I want to find out where I'm good at. Live I'm pretty good at SnG's, so I tried playing double-or-nothing. It went well for 2 times, and then I lost 2 and i fugured it's not for me. So there it was - my thing - HEADS-UP matches! I had 36$ in my bankroll and played 5,25$ buy-in tournaments (I know bad bankroll management here, but it works now (using SSS I used the normal bankroll management though)) and I started to win. So there it goes, now I'm playing HEADS-UP matches.

My goal: The tittle of this blog is "From counting pennies to money independence" and it really represents my goal. I wish I can go downtown and spend all the money I want, not even thinking about it, eventhough I'm pretty tight with money. I would love to go to a caffee and buy myself and my mates a coffee (me and my hommies just LOVE coffee), that may sound very stupid, but Lithuania is suffering an economic crysis, so I don't get allot of pocket money from my parrents. I get 50LT a month and 20LT a week (for lunch at school), to make it $ it would be 50+20*4=130LT its 51$. The coffee here costs ~8LT (I mean the good coffee) and that makes ~16 coffees a month. And I'm not even talking about the movies or going to McDonalld's or any pizzeria to eat.
      So I would love to go and buy me and my palls a coffee everyday not even thinking that I'm short with money.

As I said I play Heads-up so I started to make some stats of my play from 30th of September.

30th of September
      PLAYING: 5,25$ Buy-in Heads-up SnG's
      IF YOU WIN YOU GET: +4,75$
      PLAYED: 20
      WON: 12
      PROFIT: 15$
      TOTAL PLAYED HANDS: 854

1st of October
      PLAYED: 17
      WON: 10
      PROFIT: 10,75$
      TOTAL PLAYED HANDS: 971

2nd of October
      PLAYED: 37
      WON: 18
      PROFIT: -14,25$
      TOTAL PLAYED HANDS: 1610

-----

I've found out about Turbo Heads-up tournaments, I've never seen them before, I would have played them before

3rd of October
      PLAYING: 6,25$ Buy-in TURBO Heads-up SnG's
      IF YOU WIN YOU GET: +5,75$
      PLAYED: 10
      WON: 8
      PROFIT: 33,50$
      TOTAL PLAYED HANDS: 419

So, had a pretty good run that day, my bankroll hit 100$(first time it got there)!!! If you wondering why I stopped at such a great run, there's an explanation - I've made a rule, to not lose too much and not lose when I have made enough money for a day. I said to myself I will stop playing poker for a day when I get +6 matches or -3 matches. example: If you play 5 matches, win 3 of them, lose 2, then you are +1 match. So I've hit my +6 matches that day, so I figured I want to stop there.

4th of October
      PLAYING: 6,25$ Buy-in TURBO Heads-up SnG's
      IF YOU WIN YOU GET: +5,75$
      PLAYED: 15
      WON: 6
      PROFIT: -21$
      TOTAL PLAYED HANDS: Haven't counted them, since I played the first 4 matches at school

So today was pretty bad for me, I broke up with my girlfriend, so I think I was in a bad mood, and I shouldn't have played at all. Well we learn from mistakes.

By the way, from 2nd of October I played 1 match a day on Full Tilt Poker. I had 12$ there in my bankroll, but I really don't like FTP (maybe it's cause I'm used to Pokerstars), so I wanted to play my all-banroll-match there. I swore to myself that I will play very focused and won't make any stupid mistakes. So I did, I won the game. I had 22$ in my bankroll. Yesterday I played another one 10$ buy-in game and won it too, so it's 32$ yesterday there. Today I also won a game after a recovery from my bad mood. So now it's 42$!

MY BANKROLLS:
      PokerStars: 78,91$
      Full Tilt Poker: 42,34$

So that's about it. I will keep you updated as frequently as possible, I'll try to do it everyday. Feel free to ask anything you would like to know and feel free to criticize me.

By the way, Sorry for my English mistakes, I'm not that used to write in English

SEE YA SOON!
  • 32 replies
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      Hey there! I'll fight my way through your post later and bid you a hearty welcome for now ;)
    • utenosmelynas
      utenosmelynas
      Bronze
      Hello there, nice introduction, nice goal :) I Respect your goodwill(about coffee :D ), it's always good to hear about such a nice people from Lithuania ;)

I wish you luck, be disciplined and be eager to learn.

Jei nesi skaites sito posto, tai rekomenduoju paskaityt, tikrai demesio verti patarimai apie pokeri ;)
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Sekmės!
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      Good luck, you cafeine monster! :f_biggrin:
    • phantommm92
      phantommm92
      Bronze
      its nice that more and more lithuanians are coming here :) lets conquer the online poker :f_biggrin: good luck with your heads up's and you might concider playing a bit more when you run good, because if you have a clear edge, the more volume you put, the faster your bankroll will grow :) well, atleast sooner or later :D
    • Efukas
      Efukas
      Bronze
      It's nice to see people supporting you, so thanks everyone!

utenosmelynas nebaigiau dar skaityt posto, bet butinai pabaigsiu, iskart noriu padekot, kad ji man parodei, nes tikrai vertas demesio;>

Okay, so today was not a bad day at all. Had a losing streak and now I'm having a terrible headache (dunno if it's from poker). Watched "How I met your mother" brand new episode, got my good mood back (after a losing streak) and went on playing. It was not a good day at Full Tilt, cause I played 3 matches and lost them all, so I'm back where I started - 10$, but as I said I don't really like FTP so I'm not that upset for losing those matches (it's money, I should be upset!!! But I'm not and I find it good)

Haven't made stats for today, that's a shame. In pokerstars in first 10 matches I had 5 wins 5 loses, and after that haven't written anything else.

MY BANKROLLS:
      PokerStars: 100,66$
      Full Tilt Poker: 10,84$

Stay tuned!
    • Efukas
      Efukas
      Bronze
      Greetings fellows!

I'll start with the bad news - I'm broke at Full Tilt :s_cry: . Don't worry, it's alright, it gives me more time at PokerStars and today I had a nice run there :s_grin: . I will start grinding 11$ + 0,50$ buy-in turbo Heads-up SnG's. It started pretty well at this level, players even seemed less skillfull than in 6,25$. Before I'll post my stats at PokerStars, I want to post the hand that I lost all my money in Full Tilt. The player was very aggresive. Here it goes:

Hero(BB) (1300) is dealt 8 :club: 7 :club:
      Blinds are 25/50
      Villian(SB) (1700) raises to 100
      Hero calls 50
      Flop: 7 :heart: 8 :spade: A :diamond:
      Hero checks, Villain bets 200, Hero re-raises all-in 1200, Villain calls 1000.
      Villain shows A : :spade: 2 :club:
      Turn: 7 :heart: 8 :spade: A :diamond: Q :diamond:
      River: 7 :heart: 8 :spade: A :diamond: Q :diamond: 2 :heart:
      Villain wins the pot 2600 with 2 pair: Aces and Dueces
      Sooo, I got rivered, but it's poker, right? :f_grin:

6th of October:
      BUY-IN: 6,25$
      IF YOU WIN YOU GET: 5,75$
      PLAYED: 8
      WON: 3
      PROFIT: -14$
      PLAYED HANDS: 219
      ---
      BUY-IN: 11,50$
      IF YOU WIN YOU GET: 10,50$
      PLAYED: 20
      WON: 13
      PROFIT: 56$
      PLAYED HANDS: 662
      ----
      TOTALS PLAYED: 28
      TOTAL WON: 16
      OVERALL PROFIT: 42$
      TOTAL PLAYED HANDS: 881

So, I'm very glad with my performance. Today I made almost the same money, as my parrents give me for a month (I eraned 106LT, they give me 130LT a month).

MY BANKROLL:
      PokerStars: 142,66$

Hope the new limits will treat me nicely. Wish me luck!
    • utenosmelynas
      utenosmelynas
      Bronze
      The hand seems ok, opp is very likely to have here Ax.. so nh ;)
      It's nice that you are running well, but one advice from me: don't think like "well i made almost the same money, as my parrents give me for a month". yep its ok to be happy, actually you must be happy all the time when you play good poker(it doesnt matter you win or not in that session), when you improve, when you feel that you are better than other players, but you should desensitize yourself to money, cos there are days when we end up in +, and there are days when we end up in -, and if you always think about money it'll make you crazy :) of course have a nice vision where you beating higher limit regs, or where your graph looks awsome, but of course there should be a reason why you are better than others, so ask yourself what you are doing for being better than others? GL, keep it up! ;)
    • Efukas
      Efukas
      Bronze
      utenosmelynas thanks for a great mindset advice. I 100% agree with you about this, because when I think that I'm in -, I want to get my money back and I concentrate on the money, not my performance. I have to say there are matches that even if you give your best, it's still not enough, you don't hit, the luck is not on your side, so I guess there will be days when I go - cash, but I will be proud of my game. Thanks again on the mindset advice.

Stay tuned, later on, I will post my stats for today. Right now I'm a little above 50% in wins.
    • Efukas
      Efukas
      Bronze
      Alright, so today had some ups and downs, but I ended up in +. Accidently I registered for a game with deep stacks and no blind increases, but I managed to win it, so I will not add it to statistics, just going to add the profit which is 10$.

7th of October:
      PLAYED: 25 + 1
      WON: 13 + 1
      PROFIT: -1,5$ + 10$ = 8,5$
      HANDS PLAYED: 849 + 15 = 864

I filled in my VPP Bar and collected 10$ Cash reward.

MY BANKROLL:
      PokerStars: 161,44$

By the way, I've won one match in just 1 hand, and guess what I've caught? ROYAL FLUSH! I've flopped an straight flush / royal flush draw, so just had to play it. Here it is:
    • Pimprlas
      Pimprlas
      Bronze
      Hi there,

Nice blog, and I wish you all the best in your poker quest... Just one thing - I would feel really sorry if you went broke so my advice is - always stick to bankroll management (you really play higher limit than you should) and once the downswing comes (and surely it will) you might go busto despite playing perfect poker...
    • blackops888
      blackops888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Efukas
      Alright, so today had some ups and downs, but I ended up in +. Accidently I registered for a game with deep stacks and no blind increases, but I managed to win it, so I will not add it to statistics, just going to add the profit which is 10$.

7th of October:
      PLAYED: 25 + 1
      WON: 13 + 1
      PROFIT: -1,5$ + 10$ = 8,5$
      HANDS PLAYED: 849 + 15 = 864

I filled in my VPP Bar and collected 10$ Cash reward.

MY BANKROLL:
      PokerStars: 161,44$

By the way, I've won one match in just 1 hand, and guess what I've caught? ROYAL FLUSH! I've flopped an straight flush / royal flush draw, so just had to play it. Here it is:
      hAHA! That's what I can an overkill!

Nicely done! :s_biggrin:
    • Efukas
      Efukas
      Bronze
      Hey guys, how are you? I'm kinda great. I couldn't update you yesterday, cause you know, it was Friday :f_biggrin: . Well it was okay I guess, just had 50% in wins, so I ended up in minus.

8th of October
      PLAYED: 16
      WON: 8
      PROFIT: -8$
      HANDS PLAYED: 861

So, made my first withdrawal (actualy I sold 23$ to another person) and spended Friday the way I wanted, went to Hesburger to grab some burgers, after that me and my friend went to pub, had some beer (my treat) and went home late. I felt happy, I'm getting closer and closer to my goal.

MY BANKROLL:
      PokerStars: 130, 44$
    • IhasLuck
      IhasLuck
      Bronze
      Just stumbled upon your blog, i have to say that you should achieve your goal if you put in some effort afterall it's not that expensive here in LT :f_p:
      So, sekmes :f_biggrin:
    • Efukas
      Efukas
      Bronze
      Thanks! Totally agree with your oppinion about the prices here!

So, ran into some poker databases and found my graph, here it is:
      [img]http://www.pokerprolabs.com/topsharkpro/graph/TotalProfitByGamesPlayed?id=42727595&pnid=1&tt=4[/img]
    • Pokstaz
      Pokstaz
      Bronze
      sekmės!
    • Efukas
      Efukas
      Bronze
      Good morning everyone! Well, don't know what to tell you.. I've spent my weekend almost perfectly, doing everything I want. I'm happy about that! Yesterday I played a ton of matches, had my ups and downs, but ended up good, last streak - 10 games, 8 wins. (As I said, had my ups and downs, so don't expect something very fantastic, the profit is kind of casual.

9th of October:
      BUY-IN: 6,25$
      IF YOU WIN YOU GET: 5,75$
      PLAYED: 8
      WON: 4
      PROFIT: -1$
      HANDS PLAYED: 285
      ---
      PLAYED: 30
      WON: 17
      PROFIT: 29$
      HANDS PLAYED: 851
      ---
      TOTALS PLAYED: 38
      TOTAL WON: 21
      OVERALL PROFIT: 28$
      TOTAL PLAYED HANDS: 1136
      ---
      WIN PERCENTAGE: 55,25%

Ohh, I had one fun hand, which made my mood! The enemy just self-destructed :s_biggrin:

I don't know how, but my bankroll is has gotten bigger than 28$, I don't know how, maybe I haven't written one match or so. Well here it is

MY BANKROLL:
      PokerStars: 162,16$
    • eteris
      eteris
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Pokstaz
      sekmės!
      sėkmės
    • beckijay1991
      beckijay1991
      Global
      Can't believe you blatantly ignore BRM? Mother Variance will eat you alive. Quit while ahead, move down to a proper limit. I'm amazed it hasn't already ended in disaster for you, but sooner or later it will.