[NL2-NL10] Sandwiched between a passive type and a maniac.

• Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      BU was pretty passive and I feel that his small PF raise should have set the alarm bells ringing. I could also have raised PF but the players behind me had shown a liking for cold-calling PF. MP2 was a maniac whom I should have attempted to isolated PF with a raise.(Hindsight is great.)

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $35.86
      MP2:
      $39.77
      CO:
      $25.85
      BU:
      $17.62
      Hero:
      $26.51
      SB:
      $20.84

0.10/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.8 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J:club: , T:club:
      MP2 calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, CO folds, BU raises to $0.75, SB calls $0.65, BB folds, MP2 calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50.

Flop: ($3.25) 6:heart: , J:diamond: , 2:club: (4 players)
      SB checks, MP2 bets $3.09, Hero raises to $8.25, BU raises to $16.87 (All-In), 3 folds.

How should I have played the flop given that MP2 probably had nothing and that BU probably had a big hand, TT+,AQ+? In retrospect I think I should have flat called and proceeded cautiously if BU came along.

Final Pot: $31.46
  • 4 replies
    • degnic
      degnic
      Bronze
      I feel like your TPMK against 3 villains is not worth investing more money to the pot on flop. You get pretty good odds to call pf extra 50cents but in future I would avoid calling suited connectors to a multiway raised pot as if, in best case, you hit your draw on flop, it can become very expensive to continue with the hand.

Multiway unraised pot suited connectors are good & usually easy to play, also HU in position suited connectors are good, but multiway raised pot you should muck 'em.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Nunki!

I think it's ok to call preflop. On the flop you "only" hit top pair with a weak kicker. I would fold here because you didn't hit a strong draw, two pair or better. MP2 makes a potsize bet and the preflopraiser still has to act behind you: fold.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • debelinko
      debelinko
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Puschkin81
      Hi Nunki!

I think it's ok to call preflop. On the flop you "only" hit top pair with a weak kicker. I would fold here because you didn't hit a strong draw, two pair or better. MP2 makes a potsize bet and the preflopraiser still has to act behind you: fold.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81

This is true, but i think much better aproach is to isolate the passive limper in front of us preflop.
      If button then 3-bets (he's not gonna 3-bet with any 2, since there is a call and a raise in front of him), we have to fold, but at least we know where we stand.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      I wouldn't raise JT from MP3. If you get called from BU or CO you don't know what you are up against either. You don't want to play in a raised pot out of position with this hand. Just call preflop and hope to hit a favorable flop. From CO I would think about raising depending on the player on the button, but not from MP3.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81