BB ($7.90)
      UTG ($42.62)
      UTG+1 ($8.75)
      UTG+2 ($27.88)
      MP1 ($25.38)
      Hero ($29.14)
      BTN ($20.41)

Dealt to Hero A:club: A:diamond:  

UTG raises to $0.85, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $2.50, fold, fold, fold, UTG calls $1.65

FLOP ($5.35) 2:club: K:club: 8:spade:  

UTG checks, Hero bets $4.50, UTG raises to $9, Hero raises to $26.64 (AI), UTG calls $17.64

TURN ($58.63) 2:club: K:club: 8:spade: 9:diamond:  

RIVER ($58.63) 2:club: K:club: 8:spade: 9:diamond: 9:club:  

Hello!

Villains stats are 25/11 over 53 hands. I dont have that many hands on him but I think his UTG open raising range is going to be fairly tight, and thus he probably won't have 22 and two pair seems out of the question. That being said when he check raises I think he either has AK or maybe KQ, or a set with 88.

Was my shove here good or bad? Assuming I have estimated his range properly I think I am fairly well off, but I am not really sure if villain would play Kx like that. I don't think that just calling would change much because I would still be in pretty much the same spot on the turn, but correct me if I'm wrong.    

I have recently been having a lot of trouble in general playing my big pockets so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  • 7 replies
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Hi,

53 hands is too little to say anything.
      UTG open raise and call 3bet OOP indicates a lot of strength. 22 and 88 are not in his range imo.

His range is more like QQ+, AK and I dont see him doing this wil QQ. The check/min-raise is again real strong so almost always KK imo.

Normally its a easy stackoff with OP in 3bet pot but this smells like trouble to me.

T.
    • AninIII
      AninIII
      Bronze
      Hi,

nh!
      Although his ch/minr smells like 88...
      If he happens to have 22, 88 or even KK it's just a cooler.
      But he can play AK, KQ, FDs, AA this way, too.

What did he have?

Best regards,
      Anin
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well i wouldn't discount 22 or 88 out of his range considering your 3-bet from mp over his utg open shows a lot of strength so he can be quite sure to be stacking you most of the time when he hits his set.

AninIII how many flush draw can there be in his range, considering hero has A :club: and K :club: is on board. I really doubt his calling worse suited connectors in this spot, and also KQ is doubtful that he'd call preflop after hero 3-bets his utg open.

Imo the only thing your beating here is AK and i really doubt his ever bluffing this board since your not folding anything from your value 3-betting range, and you don't have much of a reason to bluff 3-bet his utg open with no reads. The only thing he can make you fold is QQ. JJ or worse PP you generally wouldn't 3-bet considering its always ugly to fold JJ to a 4-bet.

Would be fun to know what he had. I bet 1$ he had some sort of set tho :)
    • Hajler
      Hajler
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

Thanks for all of your comments! He did indeed have a set with KK which kind of surprised me at the time. I agree that he probably won't have a flush draw because we know he can't have the A or K and there really aren't any other suited hands I could see him raising UTG.

While his check min-raise does look really strong I think AK is more likely most of the time than say KK based on the way he played it preflop. If I had more hands on him I think my decicion would be a lot easier, but against a relatively unknown guy like this I don't think I can fold here, but I am interested in what the hand judge will say.

Thanks again.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Well if you check your equity against a range of 22,88,kk,AK you still have 44% equity, which i think is his realistic range, so i dont think you can find a fold here with out strong reads.
    • i5bet72o
      i5bet72o
      Bronze
      KK isnt too surprising. I dont think its too bad to stack off though b/c he could have AK. I generally flat 3b from LP (when i am UTG) with KK.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MatejM47
      Well if you check your equity against a range of 22,88,kk,AK you still have 44% equity, which i think is his realistic range, so i dont think you can find a fold here with out strong reads.
      +1
      also he may sometimes just c/min-raise bluff with AJ or smt that he can´t really c/c flop, so I think it is easy shove with aces
      If he slowplays pf KK he may easily play the same way AK