Elephant vs HEM/PT3

• beckijay1991
      beckijay1991
      Global
      Hi guys,

I have a question regarding Elephant. Is it up to same standard as PT3/HEM or would I be better off getting HEM or PT3?

Is the HUD better or worse?
      Does it hold the same info?

I'm not really strong in the stats departement and I'm currently taking a break from the game to work on strategies and stats and mindset.

Would be greatly appreciated if I could get some positive answers.

Thanking you all in advance.

Becki
  • 4 replies
    • joecar
      joecar
      Silver
      you get what you pay for, HEM and PT3 come with more options. As both come with free trials, try them out and see what one you prefer. Everyone has their own preference. I use HEM.
    • Chenghao
      Chenghao
      Bronze
      you don't need to "take a break " to learn about poker
      what u can do is to continuously learn new things and play after
      like 1 hours of learning , 3 hours of playing .

PT3 looks quite confusing and intimidating for a beginner , HEM and elephant should be easier to use.

there are minor difference between both PT3 and HEM , like the way they call their stats.
      get all 3's trails and use them one after the other.
      then you will reach your preference.

HEM has this table ninja that works for pokerstars and recently full tilt. its like if u play many tables , it gives u custom shortcuts for each action , good for Multi Tablers

i choose pt3 as i had a mentor who is using that too.

another less heard of software is

http://www.pokeroffice.com/poker-software-download.html

the default layout for HEM's HUD is

Name / hands
      VP/PFR/Steal/Call open
      total AF/Cbet /Fold to cbet /WTSD

the pop ups probably give too much information for a person who is new to stats
      go and read up about all of them and configure them to your game.

http://www.holdemmanager.com/buy/1/hold-em-manager

more screenshots.

a brief description of the stats :

VP = voluntarity put money into the pot. ( how often they enter the pot)
      PFR - preflop raise
      steal ( i think its same as PT3's attempt to steal , when folded to player , player at CO/ BTN / SB , he bets , this is considered a steal - very important concept for tournament players , cash game players too )
      Call Open - not so sure lol but i think its the same as CCPF ( cold call pre flop) generally an indicator of how fishy a player is , the fishier players tend to have this number high.

Total AF- how aggressive a player is . 0 to 1 is about as passive as you can get , 1-2 kinda normal , 2 + is aggressive. ( my own thinking)
      cbet - continuation bet , how often he bets on the next street as the aggressor in the previous street.
      fold to cbet - as it says
      WTSD : went to showdown , how often a player reaches river and flip their cards to show everyone( at least those paying attention).
    • beckijay1991
      beckijay1991
      Global
      Thank you Chenghao for your excellent reply.

I have been a losing player (although over a short period of about 30k hands) and I've had way too many leaks in my game so I decided a whole revamp of my game was in order, including my own mindset. I was taking things too personally and worrying too much about the short term.

I'm also waiting to have a correct bankroll amount for when I start back again. I've been playing poker for almost 4 years but I generally never bothered with stats and considering alot of people do I feel its time to get on the right road. Why not use all available tools to become a better player. As we know a winning players edge is very slight as it is.

I will download the trials of all PT3 and HEM and maybe even PokerOffice, but not until I have a strategy in place and have it completely off in my head.

Thanks again for your time and great responce. Just one final question if someone can maybe answer... If I do buy PT3/HEM is my purchase final or does it the usage only last a certain length? Or do I have to upgrade?

Thanks,

Becki
    • Chenghao
      Chenghao
      Bronze
      Originally posted by beckijay1991
      Thank you Chenghao for your excellent reply.

I have been a losing player (although over a short period of about 30k hands) and I've had way too many leaks in my game so I decided a whole revamp of my game was in order, including my own mindset. I was taking things too personally and worrying too much about the short term.

I'm also waiting to have a correct bankroll amount for when I start back again. I've been playing poker for almost 4 years but I generally never bothered with stats and considering alot of people do I feel its time to get on the right road. Why not use all available tools to become a better player. As we know a winning players edge is very slight as it is.

I will download the trials of all PT3 and HEM and maybe even PokerOffice, but not until I have a strategy in place and have it completely off in my head.

Thanks again for your time and great responce. Just one final question if someone can maybe answer... If I do buy PT3/HEM is my purchase final or does it the usage only last a certain length? Or do I have to upgrade?

Thanks,

Becki
      As for strategy ,

[GUIDE] Essential reading for new players

What i did was to write down the range for verneer's (ideal for full ring) moving up the micros.

As in UTG what i must play
      MP what i must play
      Btn how do i change my play with the blinds being what characteristics.

i read through all of them and keep them around my table so that in case i don't know what to do with Q9o on the blinds , e.g. , i can always glance at it.
      when in doubt , stick to the given range . only defer from the range if you have a very strong reason to do so and a clear strategy to do so.
      sometimes its tempting to play that A9s UTG but the chart says no so stick to it. Untill you are very confident of your preflop game.

i use poker stove after my game to decide if according to what i range them with , did i make the best decision ? ( if i am unsure i post them in the hand histories / analysis for BSS in the respective limits)

If you are playing SH , ryan fee's 6max sLAG guide is pretty good too.

of course , there is pokerstrategy's own guide that lets you pick and choose what you are weak at and plug that leak accordingly , strengthening your concept.

Blatant advertising for Poker strategy :

http://en.shop.pokerstrategy.com/Software

you can buy their products at a discounted price ! (PT3 / HEM etc)

i bought the micro stakes version for PT3 . So just like HEM , if i wanna go on to higher stakes , i need to upgrade to the pro version at a cost. otherwise , its free for life.