Never been able to beat a downswing?

• Dur73
      Dur73
      Bronze
      Ive been playing poker for the last year, and it seems like every time i start playing i do so well, build up a nice roll and then as soon as the down swing comes i can never recover. This time i deposited 25$ around a month ago, followed proper BRM and got up to a bankroll of around 300 playing 6.50 18 man turbos. Then just as i was doing good i hit a period where i cant win anything. I lost about 15 BI at the 6.50s and dropped down to the 3s to regain some momentum but it never happened, I lost around 30BI for the 3s without almost any cashes at all just a bunch of bubble coolers. Is this standard? How do players recover from this sort of thing?
  • 7 replies
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      I dont play S&Gs but you could try using proper BRM. Like 50BI if you have a proven big edge or 100BI if not. S&G's are very high varriance. The BRM you using seem like a standard cash game BRM.
    • Dur73
      Dur73
      Bronze
      well 200$ at 3$ sngs is over 50 BI, i probably did rush into the 6s a little though
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      SnGs are tricky. Downswings are frustrating because most of the time u get to see exactly how and why u lost (u see all the bad beats). Once these situations begin to pile up (depending on ur bad beat tolerance level) it starts to take a toll mentally (it still does on me as well but less and less). Often this will make u play bad or worse even tilt. I beat this by being honest with myself and doing even more work analyzing my game more intensely to try and find the spots that i could've dealt with better. Honesty is key here, u have to face up to urself and admit to urself that u've been making mistakes and that u didn't treat certain situations properly.

Day after day u can read thread after thread about how variance and bad beats have killed this or another persons BR or sent them on some "insane downswing." There's only a handful of people that I would believe have gone through a period where they played anything close to their Agame and have been punished only by variance/bad beats. Everyone else is just spinning a tale of how cruel everything has been on them, how they are victims of insane bad luck or how everything is somehow rigged to block them from getting where they should rightfully be with the stuff they think they should have.

It's easy to believe the latter part of the above paragraph because people are:
      -lazy
      -looking at everything/anyone else for reasons why they are doing badly, except at themselves
      -also always looking for sympathy, easy reasons/explanations/solution for their problems
      -lazy
      -naturally dishonest and always looking for ways to excuse their actions
      -naturally unable to accept responsibilities of their actions and rarely are able to face the consequences of such actions
      -various other unflattering things that I could go on and on about but won't because it will make the post way too long

Whoever's reading this is prolly wondering "how can he say such things?!?" Easy, I am human and I had to deal with exact same issues. I won't say I eliminated them but I am aware of them and I am aware of the impact that my basic human nature has on my poker progress. I guess u will be able to deal with every swing (and probably other problems in ur life) and solve issues once ur able to look in the mirror and see exactly what is there.

Those are all facts. Not easy, not nice, not simple and damn difficult to accept types of facts. If u want to make something serious of urself (be it in poker or life) u'll have to face these facts and understand and admit to urself just how big of an influence these facts have on u. With some luck the consequence will be u solving many of ur problems ... including how to deal with downswings ... I have ...

So I hope this monster of an answer helps ur cause. The more I read through it the more I realize it's not pretty but then people also say the truth is often ugly.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Nice post :f_thumbsup:
    • Dur73
      Dur73
      Bronze
      I never said i played my A game the entire time, the fact is pretty much exactly what you just said happen ed to me and i cant overcome it.
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dur73
      I never said i played my A game the entire time, the fact is pretty much exactly what you just said happen ed to me and i cant overcome it.
      First off I'm gonna :)

Then I want u to read what I've quoted in this post and go back to what I wrote in my first post in this thread and realize what happened in between :f_mad:
    • TetraQuark
      TetraQuark
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Atoks
      SnGs are tricky. Downswings are frustrating because most of the time u get to see exactly how and why u lost (u see all the bad beats). Once these situations begin to pile up (depending on ur bad beat tolerance level) it starts to take a toll mentally (it still does on me as well but less and less). Often this will make u play bad or worse even tilt. I beat this by being honest with myself and doing even more work analyzing my game more intensely to try and find the spots that i could've dealt with better. Honesty is key here, u have to face up to urself and admit to urself that u've been making mistakes and that u didn't treat certain situations properly.

Day after day u can read thread after thread about how variance and bad beats have killed this or another persons BR or sent them on some "insane downswing." There's only a handful of people that I would believe have gone through a period where they played anything close to their Agame and have been punished only by variance/bad beats. Everyone else is just spinning a tale of how cruel everything has been on them, how they are victims of insane bad luck or how everything is somehow rigged to block them from getting where they should rightfully be with the stuff they think they should have.

It's easy to believe the latter part of the above paragraph because people are:
      -lazy
      -looking at everything/anyone else for reasons why they are doing badly, except at themselves
      -also always looking for sympathy, easy reasons/explanations/solution for their problems
      -lazy
      -naturally dishonest and always looking for ways to excuse their actions
      -naturally unable to accept responsibilities of their actions and rarely are able to face the consequences of such actions
      -various other unflattering things that I could go on and on about but won't because it will make the post way too long

Whoever's reading this is prolly wondering "how can he say such things?!?" Easy, I am human and I had to deal with exact same issues. I won't say I eliminated them but I am aware of them and I am aware of the impact that my basic human nature has on my poker progress. I guess u will be able to deal with every swing (and probably other problems in ur life) and solve issues once ur able to look in the mirror and see exactly what is there.

Those are all facts. Not easy, not nice, not simple and damn difficult to accept types of facts. If u want to make something serious of urself (be it in poker or life) u'll have to face these facts and understand and admit to urself just how big of an influence these facts have on u. With some luck the consequence will be u solving many of ur problems ... including how to deal with downswings ... I have ...

So I hope this monster of an answer helps ur cause. The more I read through it the more I realize it's not pretty but then people also say the truth is often ugly.
      This should so go into psychology article! A1 mindset and thinking! :f_love: