Hero (SB): $31.86
      BB: $9.65
      UTG: $10.00
      UTG+1: $10.00

Hero posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has A:spade: T:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.40, BB calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.80, 2 players) A:heart: K:club: T:heart:
      Hero bets $0.60, BB raises to $1.20, Hero raises to $3.20, BB raises to $9.25 and is all-in, Hero calls $6.05

Turn: ($19.30, 2 players) 5:heart:

River: ($19.30, 2 players) 6:spade:

Opponent was 10/8 nitty reg.

I'm wondering if this is overplayed. His min-raise is strange and I see him do it with a lot of weak and strong aces, all of which I have beat with the exception of AK. TT is the only plausible set and has me crushed, but it's very unlikely, against QJ I draw to 6 outs.

I feel I have really ugly reverse implieds playing out of position, so I don't want to just call his min-raise and call 2 further streets. I do believe he will go broke here in blind battle sometimes with AQ/AJ. Im I wrong about that?

What line would you recommend? My image is rather aggressive, but I'm not sure if that plays a role against TAG fish on this limit.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

Image considerations in blind battle can come into play even on nl10, but against a 10/8 I highly doubt it. Those players are usually quite used to their nitty system and they don't like varying their play useless they have a monster hand they feel is invulnerable anyway. If they shovel lots of money in you can be damn sure they have a strong hand regardless of how crazy you think you've been.

Preflop I wouldn't put it past him to just slowplay KK+ or even to just call with AK, nits are nits for a reason.

On the flop I don't think he's raising Ax either. That's just not how most of these players think. There is certainly value in raising and getting stuff like KQ or other pair+draws to bet/call, but that won't stop nitty players from making a standard call with Ax in position. Obviously it's a dreadful flop for him to bluff-raise with air as well, it's just suicidal and he won't even think about it.

So the range you're looking is more like :

- KTs that you beat, and maybe once in a while I'm wrong and he does raise AQ/AJ
      - AT that you're tied with
      - combodraws like KhQh that you're sorta flipping against
      - QJs/TT/KK/AA/AK that have you smoked

So you actually don't beat much even with two pairs on that board. Some of what you beat still has a tremendous amount of equity against you, and hands that beat you have you possibly drawing dead.

Hence I'll usually advise you to just call the minraise on the off-chance he's doing that with a worse hand since I really don't expect him to bet the turn again with those hands, he's way more likely to try and get there on the river by checking behind. If you disagree with that, you might be better off just folding the flop to prevent a 90bb mistake on later streets against a range which you're not doing good against anyway.

Hope it helps.