• Schrader69
      Schrader69
      Bronze
      proly could if i felt like it, but i dont

variance would be too sick to handle
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      I only play the huge field MTT on stars. But I don't live off them. Just made a bit of profit.
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      yeah thats what I thought. I'm considering grinding up a roll on SNGs then switching to cash or huge MTTs. Its temptong cos They just seem sooo much softer than other forms.

I guess it's a matter of getting enough money to handle a month or 2 of breakeven/losing.

They say there's an upper limit on the possible winrate at sngs but not at cash games, what about MTTs?

I see on your sharkscope you're doing pretty well dave. good work
    • ladman
      ladman
      Bronze
      I plan too
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      they're called MTT grinders, lol
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Silver
      bleh, most of my profit from poker these days comes from grinding these. unless you put in sick insane volume monthly variance is so huge. you're going to be looking at max 2 month downswings IMO with high volume play
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      Basically no touching MTT's until 24 tabling 8hours/day is your thing is my opinion.
    • Ribbo
      Ribbo
      Bronze
      The problem with huge MTT's is it takes way too long to decide whether or not you're a winning player. The variance is ridiculous.

On a personal level, one reason I don't like tournaments is you have to get practice at all aspects of poker, from 10 handed all the way down to HU if you're planning on winning the tournament.
      So for cash games I can just play 6 handed or 10 handed and leave if it goes short. :f_biggrin:
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ribbo

you have to get practice at all aspects of poker, from 10 handed all the way down to HU if you're planning on winning the tournament.
      I think the challenge that that represents is part of the attraction for me. It depends on whether you're treating poker as a career or way to earn extra money, or as a challenging pastime. I'm in the latter category and would like to play MTTs, but they just take toooooooooooo long. :f_mad:
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      my brother does this, but he doesnt grind volume, and its more of a sideline, not his entire income. but yeah he either plays HUNL100-400 on a eurosite or plays medium stakes MTTs on FT/Stars.
    • MIMIso
      MIMIso
      Bronze
      My favorite MTT's are from 400 to 1000 enterants. I don't like 30, 45, 60 man SnGs and stuff, and of course, over 1000 players is usually donkament.

Hate turbos, speeds, and shortstacked tournaments. 15 minutes blinds are optimal. 10 atleast.

As for variance, that is just sick. All I have to say. :)
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Bronze
      I did for a while
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      honestly I don't think its worth the bother unless your swapping equity with one or two people who are doing the same and are on a similar level as yourself.
    • Alverine
      Alverine
      Silver
      Its been like 8 months since im playing mtts for a living, but i always played some 180's and 90's to reduce variance. By mixing them, and putting a lot of volume and a lot of hard work on my game to maintain the best edge possible, ive never had a losing month. So its good, and I can deal with variance.
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      nice. This is what i'm considering doing. thanks for the replies. after reading this I'll probably wait and work on my cash games and sng til i've quit my job next year.

Then I can combine those skills and get some volume in with MTTs
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      hey alv, what sort of BRM you using? 200BIs, 1/3 kelly? ????