This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Nash Calling Range in Specific spots

• DonCorleone369
      DonCorleone369
      Bronze
      Hi everyone,

I understand the fact that there are situations (esp. in bubble situations etc.) where your calling range can be as tight as AA only (mostly for overcalling).. or QQ+ for calling..

But I'd like to have an explanation why there are those spots where you can call (a push) with 88+ only but not call with AKs since it's still considered to be a monster (e.g. tier 1 hands according to Sklansky's hand rankings includes AA, AKs, KK, QQ, JJ and "funny" thing is 88 belongs to the tier 4 hands)..

Hope someone would be able to clarify this..

Greetzz
  • 1 reply
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      When you are very risk-averse, and your opponent is pushing a wide range, then 88 can be a call while AKs is not. 88 does better against a wide range than AKs does. Against a random hand, 88 has 69.2% equity, while AKs has 67.0%.

Wide ranges may include hands with no overcards, and it is very hard for these hands to outdraw an overpair. Against 75o, 88 wins 86% while AKs wins 65%.

Against a tight range, AKs does better than 88, since 88 is rarely better than a coin flip, while AKs is often far ahead of unpaired hands. Against one 21% pushing range, 88 has 53% equity, while AKs has 64%.

I believe Sklansky's hand rankings are based on full ring limit hold'em, where postflop playability matters and you are up against tighter ranges.