How often do you watch tournament lobby?

• Bubalus
      Bubalus
      Bronze
      to see where you stand? Like when there are less than 10 people to drop out before the bubble burst. Do you tighten up and play more cautiously or it doesn`t matter at all? Of course it depends on your stack size/your playing style and such, but in general.

I have noticed that every time I watch the lobby I lose the grip of the game and eventually do something stupid/make bad moves. Not that I wouldnt do it anyway but after seeing the no. of people left I become more money-oriented rather than result-oriented.
  • 5 replies
    • Tiltberger
      Tiltberger
      Bronze
      if i have a bigstack at money bubble or finaltable bubble i tend to pressure small and midstacks a lot. Especially when there are just a a few players to bust out, a lot players become extremely tight and you can win a lot of chips in these spots.

Its not bad to check out the average chipstack or how many players are left. but you shouldn't lose concentration when you open the lobby! :)
    • xmarukox
      xmarukox
      Bronze
      Quite often, especially when i am close to the "prize pool".
      You will act more especially much more cautious when it is close to the prize pool!!! You dont wanna 2 get knocked out at that moment!!! That was stupid.

And, when it comes close to the final table, everyone act "TIGHT" too. You shouldn't be loose and undervalue your opponents' cards at that time, right???

Just wanna to sit tight and look after my chip stake closely to prevent being knocked out at that time!!!...u got NOTHING if you are not aware of that...

That's my personal playing exp....~ :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:
    • jass1960
      jass1960
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xmarukox
      Quite often, especially when i am close to the "prize pool".
      You will act more especially much more cautious when it is close to the prize pool!!! You dont wanna 2 get knocked out at that moment!!! That was stupid.

And, when it comes close to the final table, everyone act "TIGHT" too. You shouldn't be loose and undervalue your opponents' cards at that time, right???

Wrong!!!!

I used to have this mental attitude until I watched some videos and re-read MTT articles and blogs.

I used to play to be ITM but now I play to be top 3 - loosening up near the bubble when others tighten can be very profitable - the same applies close to FT and if you hit a FT with high blinds and tight players, all risk averse, you can increase your stack size considerably.

Can't remember the quote from one of the videos, but it was something along the lines of winning 1 in 40 is more profitable than finishing just ITM in all 40. I now do that and have recently won 4 tournaments and increased bankroll x 8

Cheers Jass :s_cool:
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      I know it's difficult to do, but I think anything that detracts from playing your best and taking advantage of given situations should be avoided; this includs checking the lobby if that will affect your game, but I'm for sure no expert on this.
      Of course sometimes, when I am one of the shorties near the money bubble, it can pay dividends to go against this. I open the other tables when there are less than 30 left if it pays say, top 10, keeping an eye on who puts the blinds in before/after me and how this and the other short-stack sizes affect my chances. I also keep a check on when there will be les than 20 left as the blinds come round quicker and how long before they will be going up, as all this [and more] has an effect on when I make my moves.

Sounds a bit contradictory I know, but I find it easy enough to do without it affecting my game concentration.
    • dubadal
      dubadal
      Bronze
      this issue probably comes from being under-rolled. I have the same issue, so I just open the lobby to show players left and check it in large tourneys, when ITM is near and I feel like I must score at least something, if there are borderline decisions to be made and my stack is 20bb+. If its lower, then its push-fold anyway. Sitting with M3- and hoping to last for next 30 minutes is kinda silly :f_cry:
      Once it's ITM, you should forget about the extra dollars and give your best until you win it :)

I do agree with the guys above - with proper BR management and knowing your approximate position in the tourney it doesn't make much difference, whether you can get your BI back or not. Chance at top 5 is much more important than acknowledging that you spend 3+ hours of your life getting BI + 20%