Distractions - help!

• JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

Had a great morning of poker alone in my flat and ended up a couple of BIs up.

Played again this evening with my girlfriend in the room and X-Factor in the background - played horribly and lost 3 BIs.

Struggled to playmy A-game or concentrate this evening but given the size of our flat and the hours I work, there is very little time to play poker without distractions like this.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Any suggestions for concentrating? Stopping playing when there are distractions in the room would mean I hardly ever get the chance to play!

Right - I'm going to make her watch Entourage now as pay back!

Thanks
      Jon
  • 14 replies
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Hey JonikoP,

Distractions are a real problem.
      Ideally you shouldn't be doing anything when your playing poker. No games, No TV, No browsing the internet, No chatting etc etc. But since your in a small flat this can be hard.
      Maybe if your comfortable with it you could trying listening to some music with headphone in so there is no outside distractions except music?

Regards,

Kyle.
    • muireann19
      muireann19
      Bronze
      If im on internet/watching tv/facebook/music or doing all at the same time sometimes while im playing, haha, you need to play games that you know your set strategy for.

like having a solid mtt strategy on what hands your playing and just letting it tick over in the background while your doing whatever else i find is fine, its similiar really to multi table strategy where you know what ur doing with what hands at what stages... without as much info on the table as you may have if really concentrating on a single game or three.

just an idea anyway, glgl
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Just put yourself some headphones on, ask kindly to volume down a little bit, and set this as your background music (you can put music over it too).

http://www.rainymood.com/

Help's me everytime to keep calm.
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      Originally posted by muireann19
      If im on internet/watching tv/facebook/music or doing all at the same time sometimes while im playing, haha, you need to play games that you know your set strategy for.

like having a solid mtt strategy on what hands your playing and just letting it tick over in the background while your doing whatever else i find is fine, its similiar really to multi table strategy where you know what ur doing with what hands at what stages... without as much info on the table as you may have if really concentrating on a single game or three.

just an idea anyway, glgl
      won't really work for time,better just stop it all and concetrate on your game
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      The only reasonable solution to this problem is murdering your gf.
    • skimon
      skimon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nathanrenard
      Just put yourself some headphones on, ask kindly to volume down a little bit, and set this as your background music (you can put music over it too).

Wow, this soooo makes me wanna pee!
    • nathanrenard
      nathanrenard
      Bronze
      Originally posted by skimon
      Originally posted by nathanrenard

Wow, this soooo makes me wanna pee!
      HAHAHAHA, rly? It so soothing for me. 50% of the times i go to sleep i put this on. (If i'm drunk 100%)
    • pogodon
      pogodon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      The only reasonable solution to this problem is murdering your gf.
      i know a guy
    • Chenghao
      Chenghao
      Bronze
      make love and tire her out every single night and have a good night's sleep , then wake up very early before work to grind :D that way you will feel recharged and wee hours ? no tv in the background !
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      If I'm playing during the day (I usually play at night after the fam goes to bed), EVERY SINGLE TIME my wife walks in the room I lose within a minute.

EVERY SINGLE TIME!

One time, I was alone in the house playing an MTT, I was second in chips with 4 players to go at the final table. She called, chewed me out about doing the dishes or something, and two hands later my TPTK lost to a middle pair allin that hit runner runner for a straight. It was over after that.

Lesson?

Do the dishes. Then make a deal - For every hour I play poker without you in the room, I will watch 1/2 hour of a romantic comedy of your choice with you.

When you think about it, this is +EV all the way around.

;)
    • skimon
      skimon
      Bronze
      1 hr poker => 1/4 hr extra foreplay

She won't know what hit her
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      A pair of QC15 headphones seem to have done the trick without having to resort to anything as rash as foreplay.
    • Alferg
      Alferg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by hackbinder
      Do the dishes. Then make a deal - For every 24 hours I play poker without you in the room, I will watch 1/4 hour of a romantic comedy of your choice with you.

When you think about it, this is +EV all the way around.

;)
      FYP (my God, you were generous)! :f_eek:
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      @alferg

My wife is WAAAYYYYY to smart to accept that! She knows that SHE holds the dominant hand, not me!

;)