Educating Renmerb: NL BSS SH & FR (Now NL25 FR)

• Renmerb
      Renmerb
      Bronze
      Hello all.

I have liked the idea of having a blog for sometime now, but I couldn't think how to get it started, or how I would best use it! I still don't know, but I figured I should just start blogging and see where it takes me!

I love poker! Or should I say I love playing poker, and here lies the problem! I don't study the game anywhere near as much as I should, and this is where I am hoping the blog will help to encourage me. I think I need something that will distract me from playing and encourage me to review and study my own game.

Me:
      I am a 28yo married man from Bonnie Scotland, and have two gorgeous twin daughters. I have a quite well paid job in a power station (so I don't see me going poker pro anytime soon, if ever), but always looking to improve I am attending college part-time to achieve a Mechanical Engineering HND. Away from poker my only other interest atm is shooting, out shooting game (pheasant, partridge etc.) every Saturday.

Poker:
      About 7 months ago I moved to NL25 SH after crushing NL10SH, and it was all going quite well. About 6 months ago, my wife gave birth to my daughters and poker took a back seat. Eventually I started to have a little spare time again, and decided to hit the tables once again. So I started playing NL25 SH once again at the beginning of September, and it didn't go well.

I read Poker is not Dying - Your Mindset for a Successful Game by somnius, and this made stop and think about my game. I had to stop donking around and start paying attention and improving my game. So I started by watching the Crushing NL50 series, which really helped to refresh things in my mind, things which had moved to the back of my mind during the last 6 months.

My green line continued to fall, but I was happier with my play, and although I don't really give it much value I was running way below all-in EV. I tried to stay at NL25, but I am now playing at NL10 in order to regain confidence and re-build my bankroll a little.

I could go on, but I'm tired, and I think it's probably more than enough for an opening post. I intend to update regular, so that I can maybe gain something from this blog, so until next time good luck to all at the tables!
  • 27 replies
    • Renmerb
      Renmerb
      Bronze
      Ok, so I gave you some background in the last post, now for the present and the future.

:spade: My Poker:
      I'm currently playing NL10 SH BSS on Party Poker.
      I tend to play quite aggressive, and open up my starting hand range in later positions.
      I have been making adjustments to my aggression, as I found I was getting 3 and 4 bet quite a lot, so I have introduced some calling into my game. I don't do this as standard, but in position against certain opponents I think this can be very profitable.

I have a few areas that I need to become more disciplined with, and generally improve on:
      • Playing tired - with work, college, wife & kids my time is limited and I tend to end up playing when I'm not in a good condition to do so. Just because I want to play! The main problem is that as I get tired my aggression disappears, and I become some sort of weak/tight calling station. I need to be disciplined in closing tables as soon as I realise this is happening, and also not open any tables when I know I'm getting tired.
      • Hand Ranges - I need to work on my ability to put players on a hand range. I think this will come with time, but I would like to concentrate on this key skill a little more while I am playing and reviewing.
      • Study - big improvement needed in this area! Less play more study! Need to introduce more regular session reviews, posting hands for evaluation, read more articles, watch more videos, attend more coaching, etc. etc....

:heart: BRM:
      I currently have about $425 on PP, and £200 (about $300) on its way from Titan. I think I am going to place the £200 into an account and ignore it for now, maybe use it to open a new account or for cushioning when moving up limits. This will give me more time to continue improving and gaining confidence on PP NL10, plus I have a $100 bonus to clear so shouldn't take too long to reach NL25.

Considering two options for BRM:
      • Play SH only - move to NL25 with 25 BI, NL50 with 30BI and NL100 with 35BI.
      • Play FR & SH - move up to new limit FR at 25 BI, and SH at 35 BI.

Currently leaning towards FR & SH, as I feel it can only be beneficial to have ability to play both game types. Opinions are welcome!

:diamond: Short/Medium term plan:
      Generally my plan is to improve, and move up/down limits as per BRM!
      To improve I am planning to:
      • Re-read all silver articles, followed by reading the gold articles.
      • Carry out regular session reviews and post at least one hand (hopefully a lot more) from each review.
      • Watch more videos, need to watch the final 2 Crushing NL50 vids, and would like to re-watch the MovE it move it vids. Then continue to watch 1 vid per week.
      • Attend more coaching sessions. Work and kids may prevent me from attending as many as I would like, but I can try!

:club: Long term plan:
      The only long term goal I have is to improve, and become the best that I can be!

Obviously I would like to reach a level where I can make regular withdrawals and perhaps pay off my mortgage, but I don't want to set any financial goals for my poker. I don't currently need the money from poker, but hell do I want it! And the best way for me to get it is to become the best I can be!

So here goes, wish me luck!
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Nicely written! I think we have a lot in common (too much playing, too little reviewing; trying to keep the family happy and still find time to play poker). I'll be following your progress with interest. I'm planning to move to SH NL10 in the new year myself. Best of luck!
    • Renmerb
      Renmerb
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jbpatzer
      Nicely written! I think we have a lot in common (too much playing, too little reviewing; trying to keep the family happy and still find time to play poker). I'll be following your progress with interest. I'm planning to move to SH NL10 in the new year myself. Best of luck!
      Thanks! I have been following your blog, so you might see me leaving a few messages now that I'm try to become active in the forum again. Look forward to seeing your progress with BSS, early signs look good.
    • Renmerb
      Renmerb
      Bronze
      I am going to try and make myself review my previous session before I play another session.

So had a look at last nights short 571 hand session, and in general I was quite happy. Thought my positional stats looked pretty good, but I'll wait till I have a monthly review before I post them, just so there is actually some volume behind them.

Couple hands that I looked at and thought I could have played better, so I have posted them in the evaluation forum. Please feel free to comment!

AQs in BB v UTG
      2nd/3rd barrel on A hi board with OESD?

Otherwise, a couple interesting hands:
      Think this was the first hand of the session, actually thought I was behind when they both called!

PartyGaming - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

Hero (BB): $10.00
      UTG: $9.50
      CO: $10.00
      BTN: $4.52
      SB: $9.90

SB posts SB $0.05, Hero posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has A:heart: K:heart:

UTG raises to $0.40, fold, fold, SB calls $0.35, Hero raises to $1.80, UTG raises to $3.20, SB calls $2.80, Hero raises to $10.00 and is all-in, UTG calls $6.30 and is all-in, SB calls $6.70 and is all-in

Flop: ($29.30, 3 players) 2:heart: 5:heart: 3:heart:

Turn: ($29.30, 3 players) 4:club:

River: ($29.30, 3 players) 2:spade:

UTG shows J:spade: 9:heart: (One Pair, Twos)
      SB shows T:club: A:club: (Straight, Five High)
      Hero shows A:heart: K:heart: (Flush, Ace High)
      Hero wins $0.00
      Hero wins $0.80
      Hero wins $27.50

Two hands after the AQs hand above, against same villian.

PartyGaming - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BB: $5.16
      UTG: $17.29
      Hero (MP): $10.00
      CO: $40.18
      BTN: $11.85
      SB: $10.00

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has K:spade: K:heart:

fold, Hero raises to $0.40, CO raises to $1.40, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $3.30, CO calls $1.90

Flop: ($6.75, 2 players) 5:club: 6:spade: Q:diamond:
      Hero bets $3.30, CO raises to $8.16, Hero calls $3.40 and is all-in

Turn: ($20.15, 2 players) 7:club:

River: ($20.15, 2 players) Q:heart:

CO shows T:spade: Q:spade: (Three of a Kind, Queens)
      Hero mucks K:spade: K:heart: (Two Pair, Kings and Queens)
      CO wins $0.00
      CO wins $19.15

This hand is against a general fish, think it's the same one I should have 2nd barrelled with my OESD.

SB: $10.00
      BB: $10.00
      Hero (UTG): $23.48
      MP: $4.44
      CO: $5.11
      BTN: $9.68

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has Q:heart: Q:diamond:

Hero raises to $0.40, fold, fold, BTN raises to $1.00, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.60

Flop: ($2.15, 2 players) J:spade: A:spade: Q:club:
      Hero checks, BTN bets $1.50, Hero raises to $22.48 and is all-in, BTN calls $7.18 and is all-in

Turn: ($19.51, 2 players) 5:diamond:

River: ($19.51, 2 players) T:club:

BTN shows A:diamond: K:spade: (Straight, Ace High)
      Hero shows Q:heart: Q:diamond: (Three of a Kind, Queens)
      Hero wins $0.00
      BTN wins $18.54

After all that I have the urge to play, but I am going to try and refrain! Instead I think I will try and watch the final two Crushing NL50 vids, at least this won't cost me anything if I fall asleep!
    • Renmerb
      Renmerb
      Bronze
      My girls have been playing up a little the last 2 nights, so haven't achieved much poker wise.

Tried to watch the final 2 Crushing NL50 vids 2 nights ago, but almost fell asleep and didn't really take anything in, so I'll have to try again.

Played a little this afternoon, only slightly interesting session, but it would have been better if I had used that time to study. Don't normally play at that time of day, so came across new opponents, and thus I had no history for them. Only played 4 tables, but there seemed to be only nitty TAG regs, and fishy calling stations at that time of day.

On table was was full of the nitty reg type, and I just don't get it! Where's the value for these players? they just sit there stealing each others blind all day long. Obviously this was the table I received the bulk of my premium hands, and could I get action? Could I hell! Never mind, you have to think that the post flop skills of these players must be non-existent, they hardly ever see a flop.

The other tables were pretty full of the fishy type, with a few short/mid stacks thrown in for good measure. Every time I see there hand I think eh? Some of there lines just don't make any sense, to me anyway. Even had one call my flop and turn cbets, only to check behind me on river after making his hand! Was this some value check behind line I'm unaware of?

Going to try and watch those vids later, but for now I'm going to finish watching Scotlands comeback against Spain! 2-2 atm.

COME ON SCOTLAND!!!
    • Renmerb
      Renmerb
      Bronze
      So much for a Scotland comeback!

Lost 3-2 and finished the game with only 10 men, but I don't think we were disgraced. There's no denying that Spain are by far the better team and probably deserved to win, think the penalty decision could have gone either way though.

Still, I'm probably happier with Scotlands performance than most English fans will be with performance of England. I mean Spain are the current World and European champions, what are Montenegro?
    • Renmerb
      Renmerb
      Bronze
      Finally watched Crushing NL50 part 7, only final vid to go. It's an interesting series, but I don't think you can apply too much of it at NL10. So much reference to rationally thinking players, and I just don't think there are that many at NL10. Still good to begin going through the thought process again, in preparation for slightly higher limits.

Played a little poker last night, before I had to abruptly cut my session short. Wife decided it would be a good idea to clean the bath before bed, only for her hand to slip while leaning over said bath and her face to smash into the tap! So she has a nicely grazed, swollen, black & blue eye now. It's not the first time she has done something like this, she has a habit of hitting her face. Honestly it's nothing to do with me, although I'm sure some of our neighbours think I do it. Luckily I'm usually at work when she has an accident, think we would of had the police round by now if it hadn't been the case!

Back to poker, only one interesting hand from my very short session last night, again I'm sure I could have played it better. Hand shown below, and posted in evaluation forum with thought process here. Again all comments welcome.

CO: $13.42
      BTN: $10.45
      SB: $20.93
      BB: $6.27
      UTG: $20.33
      Hero (MP): $10.00

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has 4:heart: 4:club:

fold, Hero raises to $0.40, CO calls $0.40, fold, SB calls $0.35, BB calls $0.30

Flop: ($1.60, 4 players) A:diamond: 8:diamond: 4:diamond:
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $1.50, CO calls $1.50, fold, fold

Turn: ($4.60, 2 players) 3:club:
      Hero bets $2.50, CO calls $2.50

River: ($9.60, 2 players) 7:spade:
      Hero bets $5.60 and is all-in, CO calls $5.60
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Greetings from Ireland.

Best of luck with your poker journey. I'm in a very similar situation to yourself. I have an 8 month old daughter so finding time to play can be quite hard to say the least.

I'm currently taking time out of the game to get my head and strategy corrected. I'm also working out my bankroll and HUD.

I will be playing NL10 FR on Full Tilt. Hope to hear you're crushing again!

Will follow your journey closely :)

Regards,
      Gary
    • Renmerb
      Renmerb
      Bronze
      Really struggled for any real time to study or play poker lately. Mostly down to the fact that the outlaws have been staying with us for the last two weeks, and I'm told I have to be sociable. I don't mind my outlaws, they are really nice people, but I'm looking forward to having my house back! Anyway, they leave on Sunday and I'm working all weekend, so only tonight to go.

Work is really quiet at the minute, which is great because it means I can spend some time doing my college work. Of course I'll also spend some time studying poker, but I need to get some college work done first. To aid me in my college/poker studies I got myself a MIFI dongle from 3 last week, so I now have good unrestricted internet access while at work.

I had been using internet tethering on my iPhone, but it was really slow and kept losing connection. The MIFI is shit hot, currently running at 2.5Mbps which is not much slower than my home broadband.

Back to poker, I did manage to play another small 400 hand session a couple nights ago. So I've just reviewed the hands and posted this one for evaluation - KK: OP + OESD on turn

Edit: Almost forgot about this hand, just posted for evaluation - QJo IP - facing pf sqeeze & cbet shove on flop
    • Renmerb
      Renmerb
      Bronze
      Well the wife and kids have been ensuring that I have very little time, or energy, to spend on poker as of late.

However I did manage to play some hands the last couple of days, but it appears I have reverted to my post-blog style of playing tired, unfocused and slightly under the influence of alcohol!

Nevermind, no serious damage done, just need to concentrate on plugging what has to be my biggest leak!

I am also way behind where I planned to be study wise, so far all I have done is watch the Crushing NL50 series! Really need to start re-reading those silver articles!

I had hoped to start next month playing NL25 FR, but I think I may fall short here. It's no real problem, no financial goals remember, it was just a week ago this target looked easily achievable!

Oh, and I finally received my £200 from Titan a couple days ago! Good job I wasn't waiting for it, only took about a month to get it in my account!
    • Renmerb
      Renmerb
      Bronze
      Wife and kids still keeping me soooo busy when am at home! The wife more so, she has now suffered an aversion fracture in her pelvis (woman seriously needs bubbled wrapped!) and best case will be on crutches for about 6 weeks!

Really think playing poker while at home is not the best idea for now, can't get my mindset right, I'm either too tired or distracted and it seriously affects my game.

Back on nightshift last night, and as it was really quiet before midnight I managed to play a short session. The contrast between that session and the ones I play at home is unreal, seriously looks like a different player!

This is my favourite hand from last night, and only because I don't really remember playing it until I looked down at the river and thought "fuck, I got the nuts!" Decided to shove his overbet, thinking if he has air then he folds to any raise, but if he's calling a raise then he'd call a shove.

PartyGaming - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players

UTG: $9.70
      CO: $9.25
      Hero (BTN): $12.17
      SB: $10.59
      BB: $9.65

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has 6:heart: 5:spade:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.30, fold, BB calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.65, 2 players) J:diamond: 7:club: 3:heart:
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.40, BB calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.45, 2 players) K:heart:
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($1.45, 2 players) 4:spade:
      BB bets $2.00, Hero raises to $11.47 and is all-in, BB calls $6.95 and is all-in

BB shows J:spade: J:heart: (Three of a Kind, Jacks)
      Hero shows 6:heart: 5:spade: (Straight, Seven High)
      Hero wins $0.00
      Hero wins $18.39

Almost forgot, I was also messing around searching my username online and came across this on Poker-Edge:
      Renmerb Party Poker Hold'em Stats
      Shark - He is a very solid player with a tight and aggressive playing style. He should be avoided at the tables as he is a tough opponent.

:f_confused: HAHAHA! I have to wonder about the accuracy of this statement! Don't think I would call my self a shark just yet! :f_biggrin:

Hoping to do a short review of my progress from the start of this blog to the month end, either later tonight or tomorrow. For now I'm off to try and play another short session before midnight.
    • Renmerb
      Renmerb
      Bronze
      Well that didn't go well! Saturday nights are just cruel!

Limping fish everywhere, which is great if you can just hit the board from time to time! And would it be too much to ask that when I get my money all-in good that my hand actually holds up! So frustrating!

Don't think my play was to bad, didn't feel like I was playing like an idiot. I haven't reviewed for a while though, (because I knew I was playing soo bad!) so no doubt when I review this last session I'll prove to myself that in fact I was playing like an idiot.
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      What do you think of Poker Edge? Any good? It's expensive if you want tournament stats too. I looked myself up and posted the result in my blog.
    • Renmerb
      Renmerb
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jbpatzer
      What do you think of Poker Edge? Any good? It's expensive if you want tournament stats too. I looked myself up and posted the result in my blog.
      I don't use it JB, only came across it when I stuck my username into google.

Might be useful for the real grinders out there, but I think it would be a case of cost > benefit for a low stakes/volume player like me.
    • Renmerb
      Renmerb
      Bronze
      :spade:O ctober Review
      In general I am happy enough with my progress since I started this blog, even though I have only made a small profit. As you can see on the graph it started really well, then it goes a bit wrong.

Bankroll currently stands at $492 on PP. (Plus £200 in ban account for later use.)

1 - This is the result of me playing tired/drunk/unfocused. Not proud of this section at all, I was playing like a moron! The worst was that I knew I was playing so bad, yet I continued to play! I have got to work on this, it may mean my already poor volume suffers, but I can live with that. For now I'd rather play quality than quantity.

2 - This was Saturday night! Found my game really tightened up against the mass amounts of fish. When I did pick up a premium hand and get action, I was either crushed by AA, or outdrawn. Only hand that annoyed me was when I shoved over 4 bet from a loose passive fish with AKs, then though "shit" when I noticed he had 0% 3bet/0% 4bet, he had KK.

:heart: Stats

Sample size is small, but picking up a few things here:
      • Need to watch that I don't cold call too much from BU, see my VPIP/PFR starting to drift appart.
      • Seem to have developed a habit of limping along in SB when there are previous limpers. Need to stop this! Normally its fold flop, otherwise its playing OOP which sucks.
      • C-bets: not sure if I might be overdoing it a little. Maybe just sample size.

If anyone is seeing a glaringly obvious leak please highlight it to my, because I can't see!

:diamond: Study
      This was the reason I started a blog, and so far its a major fail!
      I had planned so much, and I have done so little!
      Since starting this blog I have watched the Crushing NL50 vids, and thats it!
      I have started reviewing my sessions more often, and posted a few hands for evaluation so it's not all bad.

I really need to try and do more!

:club: November Goals
      • Re-read the silver articles.
      • Attend at least one coaching session.
      • Review every session.
      • Post at least one hand for evaluation, from every session.
      • Watch the Move It, Move It vids.

I would like to reach NL25 by the end of the month, which I think should be achievable if I play focused. Just depends on volume I think, which may suffer if I study as much as I hope to.
    • Renmerb
      Renmerb
      Bronze
      Feels like a long time since I posted anything, but it's only been like 10 days. Well I haven't been posting because I would have nothing to say. My life seems to get more hectic and busy each day, which has meant almost zero poker activity for me!

Luckily I was on nightshift again last night, and managed to squeeze a session in between jobs. Was really happy with my play, and I have to say that I love playing against those crazy canadians on party!

This is actually my graph for the month so far, all played last night! Ain't gonna be breaking any records this month!

Another nightshift tonight, so I might manage to get a few more hands in. Another session like last night and I'll be rolled to start NL25 FR, PP roll now stands at $570 + $20 bonus left to release.
    • Renmerb
      Renmerb
      Bronze
      I have finally done it! I now have >25BI for NL25!

Managed to play some the last two nights, and now have $635 on PP. So, the plan is to start playing some NL25 FR until I have >35BI, then attack NL25 SH.

However, I'm thinking of opening an account at Cake Poker and depositing the £200 ($300 approx.) to benefit from the FDB and 33% RB. I also think it might help me improve my hand reading and note taking skills, being that there is no HUD allowed. If I do this it will take my total roll to over $900, but I think I will still play some NL25 FR before moving to SH. I may just play FR to get used to the software then play some SH, and move up to NL50 FR when I have >30 BI total.

:spade: NL10 SH Review:
      The graph looks real swingy, but the swings relate to my play and my general level of concentration/energy, and the sample size is way too small to make any real assessment. In general, I am totally convinced that I can crush NL10 SH when I play my A game, unfortunately I played my C game to often as of late.

Think I'm happy enough with the stats, considering the small sample size. I do think I was calling too many 3bets, but I was usually able to justify it to myself depending on opponent, still think the majority of the calls were ok.

I'm quite happy to be moving up from NL10, and I hope I have no reason to return. One plus from my NL10 SH experience is that I am now comfortable 6 tabling, may not seem like a big deal but previously I just couldn't keep up, could probably add more but my screen just ain't big enough. This is probably a good thing, because I don't want to become a grinder, at this stage I want/need to continue improving and analysing the play.
    • Renmerb
      Renmerb
      Bronze
      Just opened an account at Cake, and sent the £200 to Moneybookers. Hopefully won't be long till I have the money on Cake, looking forward to getting started there and taking a break from Party!
    • Renmerb
      Renmerb
      Bronze
      Played a session of NL25 FR on PP last night, was going to wait and just play on Cake, but I couldn't help myself. I obviously have some adjustment to make, changing from SH to FR and moving up a limit, but the games looked totally beatable. That said I ended the session down 2 BI, and almost all my losses came from KK (-$70) and AQs (-$65). Probably overplayed a couple hands, but I was hitting boards and the opponents were just so passive, but hitting hard! Luckily I was able to make stacks elsewhere to keep losses to a minimum, and was only 600 hands so no panic.

I was dealt AA 7 times during the session, and this is the only time I got any real action:
      PartyGaming - $0.25 NL - Holdem - 8 players

MP+1: $21.95
      CO: $7.18
      BTN: $27.31
      Hero (SB): $25.00
      BB: $6.80
      UTG: $14.54
      UTG+1: $16.55
      MP: $15.01

Hero posts SB $0.10, BB posts BB $0.25

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero has A:spade: A:heart:

fold, fold, MP raises to $1.00, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $3.50, fold, MP raises to $15.01 and is all-in, Hero calls $11.51

Flop: ($30.27, 2 players) 8:spade: 6:spade: 7:club:

Turn: ($30.27, 2 players) 5:spade:

River: ($30.27, 2 players) 4:heart:

Hero shows A:spade: A:heart: (Straight, Eight High) (PreFlop 82%, Flop 89%, Turn 89%)
      MP shows K:spade: K:club: (Straight, Eight High) (PreFlop 18%, Flop 11%, Turn 11%)
      MP wins $14.13
      Hero wins $14.13

Typical!

Few areas I feel I need to concentrate on with regards to adjustment:
      • Opponent hand ranges, specifically call 3bet ranges.
      • Pot control v protection
      • Extracting value with strong made hands

I was definitely still in SH mode, to be expected I suppose, but I am quite looking forward to honing some FR skills!