[NL2-NL10] Top pair A

• TommyHLM
      Hello, I just started playing poker. I am really ineperienced and trying to find some help here. Thank you for any advice.

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      SB = ($0.66)
      BB (Hero) = ($2.00)
      MP2 = ($2.33)
      MP3 = ($2.66)
      CO = ($2.48)
      BU = ($4.98)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9 :diamond: , A. :diamond:
      3 folds, BU raises to $0.04, SB calls $0.03, Hero calls $0.02.

Flop: ($0.12) 5 :club: , 8 :club: , A :club: (3 players)
      SB bets $0.12, Hero raises to $0.36, BU calls $0.36, SB folds.

Turn: ($0.96) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU bets $0.96, Hero folds, BU gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $0.96.

Villain plays 54/31/2.0 but the hand sample size is only 13, so I guess the stats are not so efective.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

Try and use their position (like SB or BU) to assign stats to people in hands with multiple villains :) Assuming you're talking about BU, that doesn't help us much indeed with such a small sample.

I think your raise on the flop is okay in terms of pure ranges, but given how weak your hand is on this board (even if you're ahead of a random club it still a lot of equity and you don't beat that many top pairs) and how little we know about both villains except that they look relatively aggressive, you're often setting yourself up for a gross spot most turn if BU doesn't fold. You can also just call SB's donk, try and see a non-club turn.

As played on the turn you should bet again, since villain's range for calling the flop looks something like Ax, any and all lone clubs, maybe 67/8x sometimes and made flushes. So if you were ahead on the flop you're still ahead on the turn, making it a really uncomfortable bet/call.

As played when you check to him on the turn, he looks aggressive enough to actually bet pot with any Ax and any club, so really I think you should still go broke by check/jamming on him.

Hope it helps.