[NL2-NL10] NL2 Set on the flop

• TommyHLM
      No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (3 handed) - Hold'em Manager Hand Converter from HandHistoryConverter.com

BB ($2.51)
      Button ($6.58)
      Hero (SB) ($2.03)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8:heart: , 8:club:
      Button bets $0.06, Hero calls $0.05, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.14) A:heart: , 8:diamond: , Q:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, Button bets $0.10, Hero calls $0.10

Turn: ($0.34) 4:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.24, Button calls $0.24

River: ($0.82) 9:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.63 (All-In), Button calls $1.63

Total pot: $4.08

Button had J:heart: , 10:diamond: (straight, Queen high).
      Hero had 8:heart: , 8:club: (three of a kind, eights).
      Outcome: Button won $3.88

Villain is kinda fishy(I am not saying that I am not :f_biggrin: ) he plays 50/21/2.0

I tried to slow play the set, is that OK? Thanks for any suggestions
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg

Slowplaying gone wrong :) We see a lot of those.

Best advice I can give you is to not slowplay anything at first, because admittedly you aren't experienced enough to recognize spots where you should and spots where you shouldn't.

As a rule of thumb I'd say, the more coordinated the board, the less you should slowplay, especially if there is an ace out there. The reasons being that on these specific boards, people tend to have a lot of hands that can call a raise and further anyway, so it's not worth risking them outdrawing you. If somehow you flop K72r with KK, then yeah it's so unlikely people have anything to call with and it's so unlikely you get outdraw that you can try and slowplay it to see if somebody wants to bluff at it or catch a 2nd best hand on later streets.

This will help you get rid of the (very fish) lines resembling check/call check/call shove or check/call pot jam, and replace them with raises earlier, allowing you to get value from good hands before the board gets scarier and from draws before they have no more reason to call you after whiffing.

Hope it helps.
    • TommyHLM