This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL4 SH 88 preflop play

• SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.04(BB) Replayer
      SB ($0.82)
      Hero ($4.27)
      UTG ($0.48)
      UTG+1 ($1.74)
      CO ($4.03)
      BTN ($2.30)

Dealt to Hero 8:diamond: 8:spade:

UTG calls $0.04, UTG+1 raises to $0.12, CO calls $0.12, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.44, fold, UTG+1 calls $0.32, CO calls $0.32

FLOP ($1.38) A:club: T:spade: K:heart:

Hero checks, UTG+1 bets $1.30 (AI), CO calls $1.30, Hero folds

TURN ($3.98) A:club: T:spade: K:heart: 3:heart:

RIVER ($3.98) A:club: T:spade: K:heart: 3:heart: 7:spade:

UTG+1 is 17/6/inf after 18 hands
      CO is 63/23/2.5 after 36 hands

Raise, call or fold PF?
      UTG+1 range is tight so it isn't a raise for value. Better hands that he is folding may be 99, or he is not folding any better. So it isn't a raise for a bluff too.
      Calling for a set value - his stack is not enough, but CO is good. So maybe it is for set value?
      Calling better hand for value - I have not experience with it yet because I was micro FR player and never called for value preflop, but I guess it isn't for value, there is not many worse hands in his range.
      Folding 88? Hard to believe :)

But his range may be wider because sample size is not big,

Flop is easy fold agaisnt these two oponents.
  • 1 reply
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      UTG+1 may fold there sometimes 99, but also I think he may fold there AJ/AQ, so to take initiative with 88 is not bad. Only bad thing is about the stack size and I think for that reasons I really don´t like 3-bet there with 88. You have to fold if he shoves and have to likely shove yourself a lot of board what only is Q or J high, like J64.
      So I would call. Also you don´t only call 88 for set value, but some times you hit board like 347 and can lead out for value or c/r and play for stacks- depends how aggressively would you like to play your 88 at that spot.