Forced to show?

    • oblitron
      oblitron
      Bronze
      Joined: 22.01.2010 Posts: 238
      I recently saw a video of Leo Margets describing a hand at the WSOPE. She went all in on the turn with a semi-bluff, her opponent folded and for some reason she had to show her cards. She says "the dealer forced me to show". Does this make sense to anyone? Why would you HAVE TO show?
  • 10 replies
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.10.2008 Posts: 7,359
      Hi oblitron,

      Something similar happened to me when playing a live tourney recently. I was told by the dealer that I had to show the cards to win the pot, but of course usually you don't so I too would be interested in knowing exactly what this rule is and when it's applied.

      Hopefully someone will know, maybe a live reg like Yoghi, Chenny or our resident tournament director (well not offically, but he really is a TD in real life) JustKyle ;)


      Bart
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Bronze
      Joined: 04.06.2008 Posts: 1,241
      I get this quite often at live games. Just refuse to show and get the tournament director or casino manager over.

      It's always been an error by the dealer for me.
    • occipital
      occipital
      Bronze
      Joined: 11.11.2009 Posts: 37
      She had to show because one player saw what she had when she was mucking the hand. If one sees, even by accident, all table gets to see.
    • RMB
      RMB
      Bronze
      Joined: 29.03.2008 Posts: 599
      Originally posted by occipital
      She had to show because one player saw what she had when she was mucking the hand. If one sees, even by accident, all table gets to see.
      True, i believe its the same if you tell one person at the table you have to tell everyone.
      Otherwise, i dont see any reason at all
    • oblitron
      oblitron
      Bronze
      Joined: 22.01.2010 Posts: 238
      Thank you, occipital! It all makes sense now.
      :)
    • elite23q
      elite23q
      Bronze
      Joined: 09.05.2010 Posts: 18
      one time the dealer showed my cards to everyone accidently haha -.-
    • Mulatu
      Mulatu
      Bronze
      Joined: 26.07.2010 Posts: 112
      Originally posted by occipital
      She had to show because one player saw what she had when she was mucking the hand. If one sees, even by accident, all table gets to see.
      Yes, the rule's there to avoid collusion.
      There is a similar rule where you have to bet with the nuts... I think it happened to a player at last year's WSOP.
      (Edit: bet on the river when you're last to act, obviously.)
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      Joined: 18.03.2008 Posts: 3,323
      I was playing an EPT and while scratching my balls i accidently flashed one of them to the person sitting next to me. The dealer said show one show all and i had to take off my pants and stand on the table while everyone eyefondled my genetials. That's why I'll never play live poker again
    • occipital
      occipital
      Bronze
      Joined: 11.11.2009 Posts: 37
      Originally posted by elite23q
      one time the dealer showed my cards to everyone accidently haha -.-
      happened to me once, shoved on SB to steal antes and BB in an uncontested pot. Mucked my cards but they accidentaly hit dealer´s hand and my cards got revealed. Luckily it was 38of.
    • Mulatu
      Mulatu
      Bronze
      Joined: 26.07.2010 Posts: 112
      Originally posted by ihufa
      I was playing an EPT and while scratching my balls i accidently flashed one of them to the person sitting next to me. The dealer said show one show all and i had to take off my pants and stand on the table while everyone eyefondled my genetials. That's why I'll never play live poker again
      I think that's a clause in the Nuts Rule I mentioned above.