DON limping Pocket pairs

• farbwenz
      farbwenz
      Bronze
      Hi I play DONs on lower limits at Cake. In the early stages I see very few limps from other regs, not even from SB. Also, the BB is laid down to most raises(even most minraises) and only defended with a monster.

So, am I right that I shouldn't limp pocket pairs and suited connectors/aces neither?

Can I just raise them to attempt to steal these unguarded pots?
      Or is the risk/reward ratio so high that I should continue playing ABC poker?

Also, how much do i need to care for my image on these limits?
      Can I for example risk pushing 3 times in a row if ICM tells me to? I'm not sure whether they will recognize my play as a streak of luck or whether they think I'm tilting or just a fish or whatever... I mean, when I see someone pushing several hands, I'm also not sure whether he's pushing to wide, or whether each push is actually of tighter range because of his changed image...

I'm only talking here about situations in which I am playing against good players (which on this limit means: players with some sort of strategy).
  • 2 replies
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      I see alot of regs limping PP and to be honest it is a mistake. You very rarely get paid off and if you do it is usually a cooler. You just don't have any implied odds so limping to hit a set is not a good strategy.

Your other question, if you are playing against good players that will call correctly then yes you should take your pushes that sng wizard suggests. Although you first thought should be do I need to take this push? not this is +EV so I push. Obv if it is very profitable then you don't really have to think about that too much.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Limping can be better than folding. However, you don't want to count on hitting a set and then getting paid off. Instead, you need to pick up some pots no one wants. You get many more opportunities to pick up the pot with a small bet if you are in position.

However, you need to consider all of your options. If no one has entered the pot in front of you, you should consider making a small raise instead of limping. Many players, particularly regs, will not defend the blinds very often against a small raise, even a minimum raise, and this is only a slightly larger investment than limping. So, even if limping is better than folding, the best play may be to make a small open-raise.

Overlimping is a more reasonable play than open-limping. It's perfectly ok to fold if there is a substantial raise after your limp.