[NL2-NL10] NL4 - The art of raise folding a fish

• Donkey111
      Donkey111
      Bronze
      I am never too sure how I should react when a fish bets small. Should I raise? Should I call? Should I fold?

This is Villain's first hand. His stack size and strange line tells me he surely isn't a good player.

After his fist bet on the flop:
      - The pot odds says 'fold' (for set)
      - The implied odds says 'call' for set value (maybe?)
      - Weak showdown equity and weak bet from villain tells me it may be profitable to turn my hand into a bluff by raising to push him off.

He min 3bets and I fold.

PartyGaming - $0.04 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

SB: $5.20
      BB: $2.00
      UTG: $4.29
      MP: $4.13
      CO: $4.41
      Hero (BTN): $4.00

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.04

Pre Flop: ($0.06) Hero has 3:heart: 3:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.10, fold, BB raises to $0.16, Hero calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.34, 2 players) 2:diamond: K:diamond: T:spade:
      BB bets $0.08, Hero raises to $0.24, BB raises to $0.40, fold
  • 3 replies
    • SPwoodrose
      SPwoodrose
      Bronze
      I really disagree that his line is weak. I see this kind of thing from fish all the time - small 3bet pre, tiny bet on flop and turn, shove river. It's usually always AA or something like that. Calling the flop for implied set value might be ok, otherwise fold is also good IMO.

I wouldn't try to bluff him here, but if I was I would also bet a little bigger. Kx and good draws are not folding anyway so I wouldn't give him good odds for his broadway gutshots / pocket pairs.
    • Alficor1
      Alficor1
      Bronze
      Never bluff-raise those tiny bets.. fishes who make these bets have absolute monsters and desperately want you to call (or dont want how to bet properly)..
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by SPwoodrose
      I really disagree that his line is weak. I see this kind of thing from fish all the time - small 3bet pre, tiny bet on flop and turn, shove river. It's usually always AA or something like that. Calling the flop for implied set value might be ok, otherwise fold is also good IMO.

I wouldn't try to bluff him here, but if I was I would also bet a little bigger. Kx and good draws are not folding anyway so I wouldn't give him good odds for his broadway gutshots / pocket pairs.
      This. You can and should raise small bets postflop when they didn't show any strength preflop.

Say he calls behind you and makes the same donkbet on the flop, he has nothing the vast majority of the time, so raising with whatever is fine, even with 33 you'll get him to bet/call a whole bunch of draws and end up winning sometimes.

Here tho, he min3bet preflop. That should be seen as pure strength the first time around in my opinion. Of course if you see the same guy doing it a whole bunch, then just treat it as garbage.

Hope it helps.