[NL2-NL10] Shoving KK pre-flop against 3 players already in the pot

• dondiego2000
      Hi fellow pokerstrategists,

Here is a hand I played yesterday and which ended in a bad start to my ring game session!

Full Tilt - $0.02 NL - Holdem - 8 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3: http://www.pokertracker.com

BB: $2.00
      Hero (UTG): $0.85
      UTG+1: $1.05
      MP: $1.47
      MP+1: $1.07
      CO: $1.43
      BTN: $2.86
      SB: $2.10

SB posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero has K :club: K :spade:

Hero raises to $0.08, fold, MP raises to $0.16, MP+1 calls $0.16, fold, fold, fold, BB calls $0.14, Hero raises to $0.85 and is all-in, MP raises to $1.47 and is all-in, MP+1 calls $0.91 and is all-in, fold

Flop: ($3.16, 3 players) 2 :heart: Q :spade: 7 :club:
      Turn: ($3.16, 3 players) A :diamond:
      River: ($3.16, 3 players) 4 :diamond:

Hero shows K :club: K :spade: (One Pair, Kings)
      MP shows J :diamond: J :club: (One Pair, Jacks)
      MP+1 shows T :club: A :club: (One Pair, Aces) MP+1 wins $2.95

It was the very beginning of my session and the first time I was UTG. I thus had very few reads on those opponents who I was meeting for the first time.

Was going all-in with pocket Kings the good move here, and this was just a bad beat? Against one opponent, I wouldn't question it, but was I right to shove after a raise and 2 callers? Would a smaller re-raise, or even maybe a flat call, have been more relevant in this situation?
  • 3 replies
    • Chenghao
      well played , u want this sort of preflop scenario every time.

do buy in full stacks as u dun want to be looking at 43 when u have AA and everyone limps to you
    • SvenBe
      He dondiego2000,
      I am glad you made it to the hand evaluation forums.
      About this hand: Don't worry and have doubts about this hand. There is nothing more you could do than bring it in preflop!

As a standard: KK is a Preflop-allin-hand - ALWAYS!
      Sure,once in a while you will see Aces, but like in this case you were in perfect shape against JJ and AT - drawing to 2(J+J) and 3(A+:A+:A) direct outs plus some pretty bad backdoor outs like straights/flushes.
      I took the PokerStrategy-Equilator-Tool (you can find it ->Strategy->Poker-Tools->The Equilator or directly at http://www.pokerstrategy.com/software/6/ ) and compared the hands:
      you had a 55.1% chance to win this three-way hand! That's awesome because more than 1 out of 2 times you will not only double but triple up!

Even if you think your opponents are somewhat tighter you still are a huge favourite:
      if MP let's say only minraises pairs better than TT and AK, the MP+1 coldcalls every hand 88+ and AK+AQ you will end up being the potential winner:
      you win exactly 50% of the allins against these ranges - but everytime you win you will not only double but triple up again, so still a very easy decission to go allin with KK!

What do we learn here? Sometimes your oponent will win after making a bad play: "That's Poker" - No fish would play Poker if he wouldn't win once in a while.
      As long as you keep up learning by using our hand evaluation forums, strategy articles, videos and live coaching sessions you will on the long run be the winner!
      GL at the tables!

PS: and about your buy-in - are you intentionally playing with 40BB? the strategy tought here is either on 20BB (Short Stack Strategy) or 100BB(Big Stack Strategy) with a 35-40BB new one (Mid stack strategy) - so make sure to read the corresponding strategy articles
    • dondiego2000
      Thank you so much for you very complete and insightful input!

Regarding my stack, I was indeed starting my game mid-stack (50BB) and this might be a weird and not so smart approach.