Question about hand (playing KK)

• flexifronto
      First of all, I apologize if this post shouldn't go here, but I'm completely new to the forum and don't know where to put it.

There's something that has been rounding my mind since last sunday, and here it goes:

I sing in for a 100 euros tournament, not internet, real life. Initial stack is 3000 points, and I get SB position. First hand of all I get KK. Blinds are 10/20.

UTG2 raises preflop to 160 points
      MP1 calls
      MP3 calls
      BU calls

Seeing as there are too many callers, I reraise to 800 points.

UTG2 folds
      MP1 folds
      MP3 folds
      BU calls

Now, the flop:

8 :spade: 10 :heart: J :club:

To avoid any kind of gambling from the caller, and since it's the first hand of the tournament, I go ALL IN.

He calls with Q9 off, and I'm out of the tournament.

Now my question: Did I play the hand wrong, and if I did, where and how should I've played it, or did I just got lucked?

Thanks for your help!
  • 3 replies
    • HeyitsClay
      Im not a pro but i would say u shoulda gone all in preflop after the raises and took the money that was in the pot,

chances are no one will call u with Q9 if u all in and u got a nice buffer to sit and wait for some nice hands

normally if u all in like that no one would call unless they got AA KK QQ JJ and maybe TT

that how i see it anyways, then your only worry is 3 of a kind if they call really or AA

minimize the risk allot

again probly best to listen to other people im still on my way to learning T_T
    • Sailer85
      Of the 4involved people only the first raiser could have you beat, (AA
      should probably have re-raised).
      Q9o should normally not be in anyones range after such a show of strength by you and losing to a flopped set is just a cooler.

however I would also have raised more. You raise to 5x original raise.
      i would raise to 7-8 times the original raise (4x of position +1 for each caller) or you could, as stated above, move all-in.
    • pzhon
      You definitely want your opponent to call to see a flop. You just don't want to see that particular flop, but that is an acceptable risk. Someone who raises Q9o is going to stack off with one pair and a pot-sized bet left, but might not call a push. So, I think raising to 900 or 1000 would be better than raising to 800, but it is not a big deal.

If you have questions about tournaments, I recommend the MTT or STT forums.