Music and poker

• rubysilesia
      rubysilesia
      Gold
      Do u listen to music while playing poker? What kind of music do u like?
      I do. I turn it down quiet not to disturb me. I like all kinds of drum'n'bass, dubstep, reggae, ragga, dancehall, classical music (baroque music is great background for playing imo).
  • 20 replies
    • Nozzu
      Nozzu
      Bronze
      I always listen wefunk webradio when im playing. Its alternative hip-hop, funky and that kind of music. Once the station was down and i accidentally listened some pop station and my game was terrible. I blame the wrong station.
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      Old rock, all the time and loud aswell :)
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Hardstyle or something with big bass but genrally listening no music is good for your game but in spite of that I listen hardstyle, trance, jumpstyle etc.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Gold
      i can't concentrate early on in sng's if i don't have some music on. i usually pause the music when i get to the final 4.

i'm into a pretty broad range of music; old pop, old rock, rock, metal, heavy metal, old rap, and a couple of odds and ends besides these :) .
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      I always listen to music no matter what I do! When I wake up: Music, when I go to work: Music, at work: Radio, on my way home: Music, in the bath, while cooking, anytime the comp is on, when reading, even sometimes when falling asleep! I'm sure I couldn't focus on poker without the music in the backgroud.. I have my standard playlist running when I play and there are enough tracks for many, many hours (around 1k of them atm).. It is filled with more or less every kind of music except from classical (got some of that too, but not something I listen too regulary..).. Rock (oldies, moderne, soft, heavy, etc), pop, reggae, disco, rap (and general hip hop music), ballades, funny songs, and so on.. Should be said there are no teckno, dance, trance, house etc, but imo it's not music, it's just alot of different noises mixed together on a computer screen which sounds terrible (damn chicks! Forcing me to go to the club every weekend ;) )! That's just my oppinion though, and everyone should of course be allowed to listen to whatever they like :)

Well, music takes up alot of space in my life, and I don't think it makes me play any worse at the tables than I would have donw anyway ;)

Best regards,
      Mugge
    • Timor83
      Timor83
      Bronze
      It depends on my mood, but I found that it generally disturbs my concentration. It's fun while not having to make difficult decisions, but as soon as I have to, I pause. I listen to a lot of genres, but generally electronic stuff: techno, trance, house.
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Angry african-americans saying something about grass, promiscuity and modern infantry equipment.
    • Sdre
      Sdre
      Bronze
      Westlife..
    • Riverman1984
      Riverman1984
      Basic
      Classic! :D
    • fiveshuffle
      fiveshuffle
      Bronze
      I agree with Mugge and Chenny, can't do many things in life without a bit of noise in the background and poker is no exception, especially during periods of playing really tight early in tournaments etc.

I also find (as with other things in life) that if I playlist accordingly I can help to change/supplement my mood.

In poker terms this means getting on slower, more chilled out stuff when needing to play tight, classical or bands more ballad-y numbers to calm myself right down and not get any rushes of blood to the head.

Then when it comes to the latter part of SNGs/Tournaments or I decide I need to open up a little on the cash tables then a quick switch to some Rage Against The Machine, System of a Down etc and away we go. Suddenly stealing on the button with 72 seems like the greatest idea in the world ;)
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      symphonic metal or electronic (EBM mostly). If I'm going through a downsing, I switch to the "chillout" radio on last.fm ;)
    • Z4111
      Z4111
      Bronze
      Sometimes I'll listen to stuff like Guns N Roses if I'm playing a SNG or MTT... I find techno and trance help me concentrate in cash games, because of no vocals and a steady beat, it tends to help me focus.
    • ottokatz
      ottokatz
      Bronze
      Buddhist mantras :) .
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      I dont really listen to music while playing , its hard to concentrate with multitabling as it is already , but the few times that i do , its usually A State of Trance.
    • kispeterg
      kispeterg
      Global
      Same here, I do not like to listen to music or do anything else while playing, if we are playing with friends for fun though a nice radio is soma.fm / secret agent radio :)
    • logitechzen
      logitechzen
      Bronze
      Smooth Jazz
    • random3
      random3
      Bronze
      Originally posted by logitechzen
      Smooth Jazz
      Indeed Smooth Jazz is great, I always listen to it while playing as well! :)
    • finchybg
      finchybg
      Bronze
      I usually play a set, because it's long and I don't have to switch between the songs while playing(because with several tables open + winamp, my 256 RAM computer really slows down :P )
      Digweed, D-Formation, Deep Dish and more - it depends :)
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      You can also use http://www.foobar2000.org/, it's designed so that it hardly uses any memory :)