Restealing blinds (with a KQo)

• Aizeral
      Aizeral
      Bronze
      Im not sure if this is the appropriate forum, or whether the hand evaluation would be the best section, so feel free to move this if needed.

As the title suggests, this post is questioning the methods of restealing blinds and i will provide an example to illustrate my question in a better light:

I had no read on this opponent of note at this stage of the SnG ($5). Blinds were 100/200 and with no action previously, the SB (4000 chips) raised 4xBB. I immediately (whether rightly or wrongly) credited him with an attempted steal. I myself had KQo and judged this to crush his likely fair wide range, and decided to go all-in (5600 chips) in a resteal attempt. The first question I must ask is whether this was the correct play given the situation, or was I being too prudent crediting him with an attempted steal with no real read on him? I must confess that some of my discomfort with indsight relating to this hand was the villans desire to hang around after losing the hand was to berate me with such verbal sleights as "fish" and "f**king donk".

In a more general line of questioning, how does one go about differentiating between an attempted steal and a player aggressively betting a good preflop hand? Is it simply about having a read? If that is the approach, then is it more profitable to presume than any movement from late pos/blinds given no previous action is a steal? Or is it better to assume it is a "true" play?
  • 2 replies
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      If I'm reading right it folds to him in the SB and he makes it 4bb to go and then you re-raise all in with KQo?

If so then I think this is correct in my humble opinion. Although with no read and since he made it 4x I would tend to think he's committed and wont fold to a re-raise (despite this being possible with 16BB behind).

I think KQo is towards the bottom of our RS range even from a SB raiser. If he makes it 2.5 - 3BB i feel like 1) we leverage more fold equity and 2) he's not AS committed to the hand.

I'm mostly folding with no read, but then again I'm still not crushing the 1.20's, so take the above with a pinch of salt.
    • pzhon
      pzhon
      Bronze
      Don't try to learn how to play from the comments you see at the table. People say remarkable nonsense, just like in YouTube comments, and most have no idea what correct play looks like even if they felt like discussing strategy objectively. Many only focus on whether you got your money in ahead, as though waiting for AA only is good, and running into AA means you are bad. If the chat upsets you, turn it off.

Restealing with KQo, and worse, is standard at higher levels with more aggressive opponents. You should say how many players were left, and if there were unusual factors in the stack distribution, but since you covered the SB by a lot it had to be a reasonable play. You might not resteal if you have a read that the SB was raising unusually tightly, perhaps due to the 4 bb versus 3 bb size, and then folding might be right. You might not resteal if you feel you can do better by just calling. However, restealing is such a powerful move that it is hard for calling to be better, even though you would have position postflop.

You will encounter some players who open-raise every small blind. You can counter them by restealing very widely, as though they posted a larger blind. If they open to 2 bb, and the stacks are 20 bb, push the hands you would open push from the SB yourself for 10 bb, as though the player had posted a blind twice the size of yours. KQo is far from the bottom of the range you should push for 10 bb; you should often push 76o for 10 bb, so you should be prepared to resteal with 76o at times.