Doing other stuff while playing

• fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      I've read from many poker articles and forums, that doing other stuff while playing is really bad for you're game, i.e getting reads, game dynamics, winrate, you make more stupid mistakes etc... It sounds logical too. But I personally just find it quite impossible to avoid this. Sure there are periods when you're running hot and have plenty of actions at the tables, then again there are extended periods of folding trash and making some routine blindsteals/-defences. During those periods I just can't help it - i'll check the news, read some forum threads or even an e-book... I know it's wrong but I can't help it...

How about you guys, can you concentrate solely on the tables? If you manage it, then whats youre secret?

P.S. I'm 4-tabling NL10 shorthanded. VP$IP:18 PFR:14
  • 6 replies
    • jimyeatworld
      jimyeatworld
      Bronze
      I often find that I'm watching some of the latest poker (WSOP, Poker After Dark, HSP etc). It doesn't have much effect on my game when on a single table but I definitely play better without it if I'm playing on more.
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      6 NL 5-max tables usually keep my hands full. If you just add more tables, you won't have time for anything else.
    • ihufa
      ihufa
      Gold
      i tend to grind with my left hand while i grind with my right hand
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Play more tables then, no point in only playing 4 if you aren't observing them much. You could also loosen up, 18/14 is pretty tight, I'm quite positive that at NL10 it's easy to get away with playing way looser than that. More fun as well.
    • Ave27
      Ave27
      Bronze
      if i find i'm bored from lack of action after a few sessions, i just up the tables. i started with 4, then went to 6 then 8 and so on. i find i play and think faster when i'm only playing on the tables, my mind just stays focuse on poker and what my next move is. if i watch tv i get caught up in the show then a table beeps and i don't have enough time to think and can sometimes make a bad play.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      I analize my hands or reread poker theory when there is no action