playing flush draw heads up no pfr ip

• nemiren
      nemiren
      Silver
      dont understand something-why do we call flop raise turn ip hu no pfr with fd? fold equity of opponent must only be bigger on later streets so we charge ourself the most?!
  • 3 replies
    • Boomer2k10
      Boomer2k10
      Bronze
      I believe it's making the assumption that someone will bet OOP at any flop and turn in an unraised pot so we maximize our fold equity on the turn and collect an extra bet from a bluff.

This is a bit of a generalization and personally I don't mind raising the flop, we're going to have equity to do it a lot of the time.

A 100% strategy is never going to be optimal. You need to adapt based on your opponents.
    • nemiren
      nemiren
      Silver
      thanks Boomer, u always calm me with your logic explanation :)
    • Tommino
      Tommino
      Bronze
      There is also the issue of balancing...
      If you have made hand in this spot instead of fd you are going for call flop, raise turn to maximize the profit (at least you should :D ). Therefore if you do the same with draws, your opponents can't narrow your range to only draws or only made hands => nicely balanced range.
      Whereas If you would raise your fd (and other strong draws) on the flop, you would create spots that you have to balance to avoid being easily exploitable - you would need to call flop raise turn with (semi)bluffs and raise on flop with made hands sometime.
      So call flop, raise turn is a basic standard line to avoid being too exploitable and you would deviate from it based on your opponent :)