Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $10
      CO:
      $17.53

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:heart: , K:club:
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.40, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.30.

Flop: ($0.85) A:diamond: , 7:heart: , 4:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.6, Hero calls $0.60.

Turn: ($2.05) K:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $1.6, Hero raises to $4.10, CO raises to $16.53 (All-In), Hero calls $4.90 (All-In), CO gets uncalled bet back (All-In).

River: ($20.05) 6:spade: (2 players)

Final Pot: $20.05

(villain has 30% OR from CO)
  • 6 replies
    • Pnnkaznk
      Pnnkaznk
      Bronze
      I wuld reraise preflop.I Guess he hit set?
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      I think this is pretty much a mandatory 3-bet pre-flop. [Edit: obviously nothing is mandatory but the "standard" play is a 3-bet]

Also, I think a c/r for value is better on that flop as any heart would kill your action from weaker aces on the turn. He may also call with a flush draw but it is less likely as you hold the A of hearts.

As played, I think I'd probably call on the turn getting 2.5/1.
    • ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      my thougts for not 3betting preflop was to just mix it up abit, always 3betting AK makes me feel like im on some kind of auto pilot mode and makes me black and white to others. I'm also in position so i think its definately OK to try things like this.

Just really wondering what my best line would be, i was planning to raise alot of turns and obviously the K was a good card for me.

Also is thinking this way a positive way to improving .. like i said always 3betting your strong broadways makes you black and white (an obvious solution is to 3bet alot lighter, which i do a little bit but then just calling this hand masks its strength even more?)
    • JonikoP
      JonikoP
      Bronze
      I think you were out of position in the hand posted.

Mixing it up is fine but the majority of players at NL10 don't pay attention enough for you to need to balance your ranges like this.

Also, a good way to improve is to have a reason for each decision. E.g. deciding to flat here to keep his dominated hands in which you think will pay you off if you both make top pair.
    • ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      oh yeah sorry i'm oop, what i meant to say was im closing the action preflop so i don't have to worry about people behind calling aswell making my hand less likey to get sucked out on?

also yes this was the reason i flat called, trying to get weaker A's to pay me off

just wondering what would be my best like, hopefully he cbets this flop 100% of the time so i think a C/C here is my best move then raising good turns?

am i willing to get it all in on the turn against this opponent if its a blank?
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Hard to say since his stats make him a middling reg, so far he's nor tight nor loose as far as we can tell.

The major problem with raising the flop with hands like TPTK is that when you do, people expect you to have some kind of sets/big draws range, so tight players and good players (that are always a bit weak/tight at microstakes anyway) alike will be very tempted to either fold the flop out of position, or check/fold the turn when you follow up anyway. So if you believe villain can get clingy and not fold stuff like AQ/AJ it's okay, otherwise it's actually pretty thin given how completely ugly it is the times you get 3-bet. Thus against tighter opponents it's better to just check/call, let them believe their Ax might be good so that they either valuebet the turn again or check behind the turn and try to bluff-catch on blank rivers.

As played when he bombs the turn it's pretty gross already. Do you see him bet 4/5 pot there with stuff like AQ or even 6h5h? I don't really think so. I think sometimes he randomly has a set, very likely another AK and maybe rarely he's pure bluffing just because the Ko is an overcard to all your middle pairs, trying to look scary. So really even tho our absolute hand strength is pretty high, relatively speaking we're not really in good shape. If we raise, he's going to have an easy time dumping everything except AK/sets/6h5h. I'd probably just call the turn and reluctantly call the river unless he bets big again on a heart.

Hope it helps.