SSS on NL100? possible? profitable?

• tiagosilva
      tiagosilva
      Bronze
      Hi all, i'm actually from the Portuguese section but since this forum has a lot more "action" i'm going to ask this here.

I recently made enough to go from NL50 SSS to NL100 SSS..

thing is.. should i?

Is this too high of a level to employ the SSS?

in NL50 i had a huge success, but many say to me, that NL100 is a stretch for the SSS and shouldn't be played. What do you think? What's your experience?

Thank You
  • 13 replies
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Hey,

I know for sure that one of the coaches playing NL 2000 with SSS. Guess it is profitable for him. You need to make some advanced adjustments though. I am playing NL 50 myself, definatelly will go up playing SSS.
    • tiagosilva
      tiagosilva
      Bronze
      Do you know the name of the coach?
      Maybe he could write an article or post about the advanced adjustments one is required to do in SSS play for higher limits!
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      Alaton is the (former?) coach who plays NL5K.
      I used to play NL200 SSS with a nice win rate , and from the few hands i managed to play on NL400/600 it was fine there as well. It gets a lot tougher on NL1K though.
      To play on NL100/200 profitably all you need to do is play standard SSS and apply the steal/resteal and modified push/fold range on the articles.
    • tiagosilva
      tiagosilva
      Bronze
      What articles? i dont recall reading about steal resteal in the SSS.

What level, and name on the articles?
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      well, his name here is Talmar, but I am afraid it won`t help you, because he speaks russian. As far as I know he speaks also german, but his Advanced SSS trainings are held in russian.

One of adjustments I know for sure is using additional chart when you have 8-12BB in your stack. He is rebuying when he has 8-10BB instead of 15BB suggested in the strategy. If you need it I can find it for you.

I think you also have to watch all undercover82 videos, sometimes he is also explaining some advanced stuff.

Besides, I found a lot of usefull info in instructional hands. I don`t know whether you translate them in your forum, but in russian forum I found about 42 translated articles about SSS. there you sometimes can spot an interesting explanation of instructed hand.

Also today I found one translated article of the german coach which is dedicated to additional readings for SSS players, mostly the articles from PS.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tiagosilva

there is a steal/resteal article for SSS in the silver section
    • tiagosilva
      tiagosilva
      Bronze
      Thank you for the information, i'll check the videos..

about that extra chart, please do... if u can find it.

i'll search for articles too
    • tiagosilva
      tiagosilva
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xylere
      Originally posted by tiagosilva

there is a steal/resteal article for SSS in the silver section
      found that thank you... its not translated to portguese, that's why i didnt knew of it... but i'll read it in english!
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Tiago, I played NL200 SSS on Titan successfully. The thing about any higher limits is the players are somewhat better, so wont give you their money as stupidly as lower limits. Still, an intelligently played SSS is just as surefire at higher limits as lower, at least up to NL200 in my experience.
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      You should read http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/169/ as well. It helps a lot against other shortstacks and rocky bigstacks.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Ok. here am I with some news. I didn't manage to find the chart, but while I was googling it, I found a lot of other stuff. First of all recommended readings:

No Limit Hold’em:Theory and Practice by Sklansky and ed Miller - this is supposed to be the favourite book for short stackers. It has a chapter dedicated to short stack where explained why deep stacks who think that all short stacks are fishes, are fishes themsleves.
      The chart I was looking for is originated there and derived from Sklansky/Chubukov numbers.

The second book is Getting Started in Hold'em by Ed miller. This is what Sklansky wrote about the book in the No Limit Hold’em:Theory and Practice

Indeed, a totally algorithmic strategy of playing only premium preflop hands (say AA-77, AK and AQ) will beat almost any no limit game when you have a short stack approximately 20 times BB. Ed suggests just such a strategy to beginners, in more detail, in his book, Getting Started in Hold`em.

I ordered both of them for myslef...

Then I found some usefull links:

EDIT: Link not allowed!

articles about SSS

Some kind of blog, where i found 12 strategy articles for SSS and 4-5 posts on random issues.
      I just loved some of the articles from here, I didn`t have enough time to read them and re-calcualte, but from the first imression I can give author a credit.

I enjoyed this one -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And finally about 10BB play, on the last website the very first article is dedicated to 10BB play (some of the pokerooms allow to buy-in with 10BB)
      Basically, his pushing chart there is derived from the same
      Sklansky/Chubukov numbers. Besides, you can find there some additional info on how to play if somebody rises before you and some simple postflop things. I guess it is even more usefull than just having a chart...
    • tiagosilva
      tiagosilva
      Bronze
      Thank you for ur trouble, i actually happen to own the 1st book you mention.. but had no time to read it yet.. i'll looking into to this :) thx
    • karlo123
      karlo123
      Black
      you can play nl 100 easy with the sss. so you head there are some coaches (ex coaches too) who play nl 5k. for example alaton or peterbee another ex coach from the german site. Talmar is the coach from the russian site and he plays something like nl 1k/2k. you see its possible. :)

To beat nl 100 you have to play the strategie. if you like to win a bit more take some new articles. so you find a steal/ resteal article by alaton. also other articles from nl are very interesting.