Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $12.02
      MP2:
      $11.63

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.90 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q:spade: , Q:diamond:
      MP2 raises to $0.30, 3 folds, Hero raises to $1.05, BB folds, MP2 calls $0.75.

Flop: ($2.20) J:spade: , 9:diamond: , 5:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.75, MP2 calls $1.75.

Turn: ($5.70) T:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.05, MP2 calls $3.05.

River: ($11.80) 2:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $2.5, Hero calls $2.50.

Final Pot: $16.80

i took alot of time on the river thinking about what to do, the pot was so big shoving all in was roughly about half pot but i thought shoving all in wasnt the best line to take.

im not happy with the strength of my hand on the river if he just keeps calling down, probably has a set or some suited connector hitting 2pair / a straight and was planning on check / folding to a shove.

however when he bets so small am i calling this bet or just simply folding too?
  • 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Your postflop play depends a lot on how often villain is actually calling 3bets.

If he's calling them really tight, the truth is you're often already beat on that turn: 99-JJ/KK+ beat you, AK folded the flop. So all you have is a ~9-outer in a bloated pot quite often, and all the lines suck.

If he's calling them really light, he's going to have stuff like QJs/KJ/AJ/88 in there, meaning you'll be ahead on the turn quite often, which makes bet/calling it a lot more comfortable.

If he's somewhere in-between (which is probably the case), who knows. You're probably forced to bet/call the turn anyway when in doubt.

As played on the river, just put yourself in his shoes and try to think of a hand you get to the river with that you'd need to bluff with or feel confident enough about valuebetting. You'll come up really short. At higher stakes you'll encounter people capable of showing up with AJ there and valuebetting it, but at microstakes the natural reaction of the vast majority of the regs out there will be to check back Jx and happily see a showdown. For that reason I think check/calling really blows, so I'd either just shove praying he does indeed call stuff like AJ preflop, or check/fold.

Hope it helps.
    • ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      awesome feed back really does help and give a great insight into how i should be thinking

much appreciated
    • yeahyoung0312
      yeahyoung0312
      Bronze
      You would rather check/call or check/mini raise turn instead of betting turn. Betting keeps you in the dark - villain can just sit there easily with a monster and wait for another barrel.

However if you chose to check turn it would be easier for you:

If villain check behind turn then you have a easy value bet on river.

If villain bet turn then you can raise as semi-bluff.

Or you can call with your overpair + OESD and check/fold river much more confidently than you were.

This hand really shows how OOP sucks big time. I would rather get some info on the turn with a check-raise instead of barreling in the dark.