[NL2-NL10] NL5 RUSH - how can villain call this bluff?

• ILuvBeachVB
      ILuvBeachVB
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $13.71
      SB:
      $1.95
      BB:
      $15.28
      UTG1:
      $7.29
      UTG2:
      $2.28
      MP1 (Hero):
      $5.59
      MP2:
      $2.42
      MP3:
      $13.69
      CO:
      $5.79

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K, T.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, 5 folds, BB calls $0.15.

Flop: ($0.42) 3, 8, A (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.27, BB calls $0.27.

Turn: ($0.96) A (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.56, BB calls $0.56.

River: ($2.08) 9 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $2.08.
      Results follow:

BB shows two pairs, aces and tens(T T).
      Hero shows a pair of aces(K T).

BB wins with two pairs, aces and tens(T T).

Rush poker, so villain is unknown. I included the results of this hand because I was pretty surprised that he would turn over a hand with no ace in it after calling 2nd barrel. Should I have cbet a bit stronger to better represent TPTK? Hand OK as played or would you suggest a different approach? check behind on turn? 3rd barrel on river?
  • 2 replies
    • johnbeattie85
      johnbeattie85
      Bronze
      If villain has a hand like TT, the turn A increases his equity since combinatorially you are less likely to have Ax. This means that your bluffing frequency doesn't need to be that high for him to call profitably, especially since your bet is so small.

But more likely, villain is a NL5 calling station.

Hand: I check behind turn since I don’t think people call the flop that loose in this spot.

Alternatively: if you know villain is peeling the flop very loose, you can go ahead and bet since you have up to 15 outs, and he will be forced to fold a lot.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Originally posted by johnbeattie85
      If villain has a hand like TT, the turn A increases his equity since combinatorically you are less likely to have Ax. This means that your bluffing frequency doesn't need to be that high for him to call profitably, especially since your bet is so small.

But more likely, villain is a NL5 calling station.

Hand: I check behind turn since I don’t think people call the flop that loose in this spot.

Alternatively: if you know villain is peeling the flop very loose, you can go ahead and bet since you have up to 15 outs, and he will be forced to fold a lot.
      Makes sense. One of the main reason I do check behind the turn tho is because it really sucks when he does have Ax/sets and decides to check/raise there, and when he doesn't have Ax we usually have 2 overs and a flushdraw to outdraw him on the river. So since our fold equity is low to begin with, I don't think it's worth trying to get him off anything on the turn if it means we don't get to see a river.

Hope it helps.