Becoming a good poker player

• C0NN0R
      C0NN0R
      Bronze
      I am new to Online poker, I used to play occasionally over the past two years. However I would like to know some tips on where I can find out how to play? I.e. Certain books, Videos.

I was putting on around $30.00 a time and playing on the 0.10/0.25 games. But kept loosing so I kept trying over and over again and its now hit around $500.

But I don't really want to give up on it. I'm still studying and don't have a job but I just want to play poker since I enjoy it and hopefully make some extra cash.

Any ideas ?
  • 3 replies
    • crodady
      crodady
      Bronze
      read about poker..play freerolls..and play 0.02-0.04c in biggining...respect BRM,you can read about BRM on pokerstrategy...hope i help :)
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Hey CONNER,

Welcome to PokerStrategy.com and the Community.

Sounds like you have Bank Roll Management problems. $30 is no where near sufficient to be playing NL25. You want around $500-$750 to be able to handle "varience". And as you say if you kept on lossing, no offence, but maybe your poker skills aren't good enough for NL25. But don't worry we can help you :)
      To improve your game make sure you read the BSS articles/watch the BSS videos/Post difficult hands in the hand evaluation thread and watch coachings.

Hope this all helps.
      Regards,

Kyle.
    • JazBenz
      JazBenz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by C0NN0R
      I am new to Online poker, I used to play occasionally over the past two years. However I would like to know some tips on where I can find out how to play? I.e. Certain books, Videos.

I was putting on around $30.00 a time and playing on the 0.10/0.25 games. But kept loosing so I kept trying over and over again and its now hit around $500.

But I don't really want to give up on it. I'm still studying and don't have a job but I just want to play poker since I enjoy it and hopefully make some extra cash.

Any ideas ?
      That kind of behaviour can be very dangerous. It is the kind of behaviour that can make you addicted. The best advice is to never play out of your bankroll again. Just use 2% of your bankroll for MTTs and 5% for cash and SNGs... some have an even tighter bankroll management. And last but not least, to be a good poker player you need neverending patience.