[NL2-NL10] nl4 complete bluff

• farbwenz
      farbwenz
      Bronze
      I've got a few questions regarding this hand:

Hand#2386014xxx68 - Rome xxxx -- $0,02/$0,04 NL Hold'em -- 2010.10.17 - 16:12:08
      Seat 1: rufu***1 ($0,69 in chips)
      Seat 2: HERO ($5,49 in chips)
      Seat 3: go1d***3 ($1,07 in chips)
      Seat 4: agar***4 ($4,08 in chips) DEALER
      Seat 7: bass***7 ($1,16 in chips)
      Seat 8: wenr***8 ($2 in chips)
      Seat 9: Dub4***9 ($4,36 in chips)
      Seat 10: oneb***10 ($3,98 in chips)
      bass***7: posts small blind $0,02
      wenr***8: posts big blind $0,04
      Dealt to HERO [9 :spade: ,T :spade:]
      Dub4***9: folds
      oneb***10: raises to $0,12
      rufu***1: folds
      HERO: calls $0,12

1) should I call with a suited connector? I find a call-20 rule for pocket pairs, but not for suited aces and connectors. So I would like to know under which conditions I can play such cards. Only overlimping from late position? From any position? never?

go1d***3: folds
      agar***4: folds
      bass***7: calls $0,10
      wenr***8: calls $0,08

*** FLOP *** [7 :club: ,4 :club: ,2 :spade:]

2) I missed completely, so I fold to any bet. correct so far?

bass***7: checks
      wenr***8: checks
      oneb***10: checks
      HERO: checks
      *** TURN *** [3 :diamond:]
      HERO: checks
      *** RIVER *** [6 :diamond:]
      HERO: bets $0,32
      bass***7: folds
      wenr***8: folds
      oneb***10: folds
      HERO: returns uncalled bet $0,32

3)as everyone is just checking, I decide to bluff(having a 5) and hope to collect the pot. I thought that I get called only
      a) if someone hit the 5
      b) if someone doesn't believe my bluff
      c) for fun
      My bet is 2/3 potsize, so if I'm called 6 out of 10 times, I will get 0,48*4 - 0,32*6 = 0. So as long as i'm getting called less than 60% of all cases, I'm winning money. is this calculation correct?

4)Do you think it will work often enough to be profitable?
      5) if profitable, how often do you think I should bluff like that? I guess my opponents will stop believing my bets if I'm overdoing it.
      6) if the same situation happens in a heads-up, should I bluff?
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

1) There is no magic formula to justify calling suited connectors. But as long as your opponent has near a full stack and you've got an idea of how he's playing, it can't be bad to get involved in position. The major problem of tags playing suited connectors at microstakes is that they sometimes forget just how rarely people barrel the turn without having TPGK+, so they end up calling down with weakish pairs and lose a bunch of money, enough to void the profit they make when they hit something big and stack someone. Just play all the high suited connectors like 87s+ when you're in position against a big stack, raise dry flops when you have a draw, and don't cling to much to TPNK hands past the flop, you'll be fine.

2) Correct. You have virtually no chance of making everybody fold on that board unless they're all tight and have whiffed overs without any draws.

3) Your bluff is fine, it's pretty hard for people to show up with 5x, since usually they'll play hands 54/65 that had something worthy of a bet before the river, yet nobody bet. Sometimes you'll get looked up by one pair by guys that can't read boards or just don't care, but it's still worth stabbing at. Your calculation is correct, just make sure you don't forget the 1/100* in front when the right side of the equation isn't zero.

4) Yes.

5) Don't bother thinking about that at microstakes, especially if you don't get caught. Regs don't care about your image most of the time, and the situation is rare enough that most fish will bust before it even happens again.

6) Hard to say. Having multiple opponents makes it harder to get everybody to fold, yet it makes your bet scarier because of how much stronger it looks when you do bet into 3 people. I'd say against regs it's better to bet at it multiway since it'll get rid of any thought they had about hero calling. Against a bunch of fish, who knows.

Hope it helps.
    • farbwenz
      farbwenz
      Bronze
      wow, thanks for that long answer:=) that explains about everything, nothing left to ask:)