[NL2-NL10] Nl2 Qq

• Smashie
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      UTG2 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is UTG2 with Q, Q.
      UTG1 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, 2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.24, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.16.

Flop: ($0.51) J, 9, 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.30, MP3 calls $0.30.

Turn: ($1.11) A (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 checks.

River: ($1.11) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets $0.62, Hero folds, MP3 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.11.

Calling preflop is questionable, but i figured i could force away Ax unless he hits em, in which case its an easy fold. The flop is good and i bet about 2/3 figuring AA or KK will shove with the flushdraw out, and Ax will fold or call with a gutshot or top pair that i have beat. The turn is ugly, and i consider myself beat at this point.

Anything i should have done different? Maybe just fold preflop and not get into it at all?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

It's okay to call preflop even out of position, as long as you don't forget how strong his range is in that spot while you play postflop.

I don't mind your postflop line, with QdQx I'd usually just check the flop since getting shoved on on the flop would force us to fold our backdoor draw as well, but since we're usually 2-outing the vast majority of the time when he jams I don't mind bet/folding QQ without a diamond.

On the river he needs to be turning some showdown hand into a bluff for us to be ahead, I don't give tags credit for that at nl2.

Hope it helps.